Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
The Modesty Blaise Comic Series

Im a huge MB fan. I have all the comic episodes (some in three and four editions). I also have the books - which are excellent. The stories are for "grown-ups" so to speak. The comics are "adult" (not with the usual sexual connotation of the word) and sophisticated.

Each and everyone of the comic episodes would make for a great film-length tv-ep. One snag really is that everytime a movie director or a tv-producer get their hands on an already great story they have to change it to make it theirs. Branding it sort of.

Now the comics - being a series of images - wouldnt need any changing because theyre already IMAGES.

Another snag would be finding the proper actors to portray the leads. This might prove somewhat difficult. For one thing, Modesty is a full-figure curvacious woman - so now thin "skin-and-bones" actress could possibly do the character justice in this regard. The depth of her persona would have to have a carefully chosen actress to protray. The humour and seriousness in Modesty persona will take quite the actress to portray, too.

Willie would have an actor who can both protray humour, carefully, as not to overdo it and, more importantly and also carefully reflect Modesty's serious and calm persona along with her humorous side.

Furthermore, the characters are already great - so now amount of changing of their personalities or looks would improve on them.

In the stories there is fun and laughter but also thrilling and scary moments.

I hope that if a movie or tv producer would ever try their hand on bringing Modesty and Willie onto the silver screen they would do their absolute best to avoid "mistakes" like that committed by Tarantino in his attempt in '04 and the dismally aweful film made by Joseph Losey in '66.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

I remember seeing that very campy Modesty Blaise in 1966, done at the height of the James Bond spoof fever- IIRC, it was terrible.

According to Wiki Tarantino wasn't actually involved in the making of the 2004 version:

Quote:
Quentin Tarantino has been interested in directing a Modesty Blaise movie for many years, and at one point Neil Gaiman even wrote a script treatment based upon O'Donnell's novel, I, Lucifer. So far, nothing has come of these plans. Tarantino "sponsored" the release of My Name Is Modesty by allowing it to be released under the label "Quentin Tarantino presents ..." Curiously, in the Tarantino film Pulp Fiction, Vincent Vega is seen reading a copy of Modesty Blaise.[12] Nicole Kidman has also gone on record as being interested in making a Modesty Blaise movie, and Jennifer Lopez was reported to be pitching for the part in 2003.[13]
Are they full-figure curvacious enough?

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill

Last edited by GrayMouser : 05-06-2010 at 04:09 AM.
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Well Nicole might just pull it off.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote