Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #21
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Glad to see Canada listed there in it's proper status as a monarchy.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:46 PM   #22
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Glad to see Canada listed there in it's proper status as a monarchy.
should never have let them crazy canucks leave the empire, the Dominion of Canada sounds so much better
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #23
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Eh, it's pretty loose to call Canada a monarchy...From my experience, it's more like "sort of vaguely connected to a monarchy"...

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #24
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem View Post
Eh, it's pretty loose to call Canada a monarchy...From my experience, it's more like "sort of vaguely connected to a monarchy"...
Nonsense, sir! Her Majesty QEII ( "Our Betty" to her loyal subjects) is specifically listed as Queen of Canada in her official title (unlike Australia and New Zealand, lumped in with "Her Other Realms and Territories" ), and was crowned as such.
I understand she has a similar role in relation to a group of small islands clustered by the North Sea.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
Old 11-15-2009, 07:18 AM   #25
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Nonsense, sir! Her Majesty QEII ( "Our Betty" to her loyal subjects) is specifically listed as Queen of Canada in her official title (unlike Australia and New Zealand, lumped in with "Her Other Realms and Territories" ), and was crowned as such.
Lol!

I'd rather say it's pretty loose to call Canada anything but a monarchy (considering the head of state is none other than the Queen).
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 AM   #26
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Besides, the entire economy of Victoria, B.C. is dependent on selling made-in-China Royal memorabilia to Japanese and American tourists.

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-15-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #27
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

The whole thing is kind of silly, but unlike Australia, there apparently is still no republican movement in Canada (outside of Quebec).

Of course the two countries have had a very different history in their relations to Britain.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Canada is most definitely a constitutional monarchy. No less than Norway or Sweden. In fact the cousin of Queen Elizabeth II is none other than my own king, Harald V (or Harold V), which makes him 60th in line to the British throne hehe.....

Lenge leve Kongen!
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #29
Gwaimir Windgem

Does this mean you'll be plotting 59 deaths for the glory of Norway, Coffee?

Here in Toronto, my experience is that a lot of people don't seem to be terribly keen on the royalty. Of course, Canada is theoretically a monarchy, but since modern Western monarchies are essentially reduced to puppet monarchies, the only way that these countries can be called monarchies in reality is through a certain affinity with the monarch and the royals. In my experience, this is rather lacking here in Toronto. But then, of course, I've only been in the country for a few months. Maybe my exposure is over-limited.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #30
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Canada is most definitely a constitutional monarchy. No less than Norway or Sweden. In fact the cousin of Queen Elizabeth II is none other than my own king, Harald V (or Harold V), which makes him 60th in line to the British throne hehe.....

Lenge leve Kongen!
I would have guessed he would have been further down than 60th these days - I bought a booklet some years ago, and he was #60 then, but that was before Charles married Diana, and there have been several births and some deaths since then.

But when I checked, he'd only got pushed down to 63rd place.

The funny thing is that some of his grandchildren are no longer heirs to the Norwegian throne, but they are still heirs to the British throne - if the roughly 70 people before them are indisposed

Edit:
I found a complete list - there are roughly 5000 heirs to the British throne

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen

Last edited by Varnafindë : 11-15-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 AM   #31
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:

Here in Toronto, my experience is that a lot of people don't seem to be terribly keen on the royalty. Of course, Canada is theoretically a monarchy, but since modern Western monarchies are essentially reduced to puppet monarchies, the only way that these countries can be called monarchies in reality is through a certain affinity with the monarch and the royals. In my experience, this is rather lacking here in Toronto. But then, of course, I've only been in the country for a few months. Maybe my exposure is over-limited.
So what do I know? i haven't lived in the country for over 20 years.
Then again, Toronto is, along with Vancouver, the most cosmopolitan city in the country- a lot more recent immigrants with less emotional, historical, or ethnic attachment to the monarchy- and even less among younger people.

It's probably still different in the rural areas, especially in the West, where attachment to the Crown is a conservative political statement, not only against Quebec but also against all those big-city elitists.

Too, in a parliamentary system you have to have a ceremonial head of state distinct from the head of government, and why not a Royal? Otherwise you have some distinguished ex-politico or eminent person who nobody cares about either. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

The prestige will probably drop a lot after the Queen dies and Charles takes her place- you'll probably see Australia go republican and the question will become active in Canada too.

Last edited by GrayMouser : 11-16-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 AM   #32
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i am interested to see how 'vocal' chaz is going to be, he does voice his opinions a lot more than Queenie ATM IMO, especially politically and with regards to the enviroment
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:46 AM   #33
Aikanáro
Chaotic Good

Quote:

The prestige will probably drop a lot after the Queen dies and Charles takes her place- you'll probably see Australia go republican and the question will become active in Canada too.
And in England. Hopefully.

Charles as king is a highly disturbing thought.

Aikanáro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 PM   #34
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
So you're in Toronto now? (Your location still says California ). That's the second time you live in a really vast country (Russia being the first one)

What you say about Western monarchies is true. From that perspective I guess it's possible to say "it's rather loose to call Canada a monarchy". However the country is a perfect example of a constitutional monarchy - thus a denomination which is not at all loose when talking about Canada.
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:32 PM   #35
Gwaimir Windgem

Quote:
Then again, Toronto is, along with Vancouver, the most cosmopolitan city in the country- a lot more recent immigrants with less emotional, historical, or ethnic attachment to the monarchy- and even less among younger people.
Oh, yes, very much so; about fifty percent of Toronto's inhabitants were born outside Canada. It's also, I understand, much more "US" than the rest of Canada, which could easily contribute to less monarchist sentiment.

Quote:
It's probably still different in the rural areas, especially in the West, where attachment to the Crown is a conservative political statement, not only against Quebec but also against all those big-city elitists.
Possibly; I knew two Albertans back in my undergrad. One of them was an avowed monarchist (or, in lieux of that, an anarchist), the other had rather ambivalent feelings about the monarchy. But then again, though both came from small towns, the monarchist was a more sophisticated type, while the other was the sort who wore cowboy hats etc.

Quote:
Hm, yes...poor Chuck.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle

Last edited by Gwaimir Windgem : 11-16-2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #36
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Quote:
Please do not divulge anymore of my sinister plot to catapult Norway onto the epicenter of the world stage and bring about the dawn of the Norwegian Empire...

I did send out a mass-email to said 59 concerning a lovely family holiday package aboard a Norwegian cargo-vessel bound for the scenic Arctic... Alas I never received any replies.
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote