Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-13-2002, 07:31 PM   #21
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

I LOVE musicals! I burst out into song (sometimes dance) quite frequently, as do many of my friends. I just saw 42nd Street last night and it was heavenly. Never before in my life have I seen so much gold and glitter on one stage before! Awesome show. My school's doing Hello Dolly! in the spring. I can't wait!
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 07:33 PM   #22
Galenavar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Has anyone ever seen The Secret Garden as a musical??
I have! It is absolutely stunning. There are huge moving set pieces, awesome music, story, I could go on and on if I could find words to describe it.
Galenavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:15 AM   #23
Miranda
'Bohemian princess of Covent Garden

I'd love to go to Broadway and see a musical there- especially RENT which is my fave. I have to be happy with the good old west end. Broadway is always a bit of a premonition for us as they usually close english/foreign musicals out there about a year before they close them here e.g. CATS. I went to the final night of that in Covent Garden despite only coming out of hospital with practically kidney failure only two days before. My best mate from Newcastle came too. We met a Cats two and a half years ago so its really special to us and we had to get to the final. I miss it like crazy now- I used to go every school holiday. I want to be in musicals one day so hey maybe you'll see me on Broadway and say- hey isn't she that weird kid of Entmoot tee hee! Later Miranda x
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:45 AM   #24
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

Miranda, you and i may well be competing for roles... unless you're a high soprano like chritine and cosettem in which case we'd be acting together as i'm a mezzo

Also, has anyone seen/heard of Into The Woods? I went to see it a couple of weeks ago when a friend was in it and it was really excellent, an unusual storyline with some excellent music and lyrics.

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Can be found loitering at Fantasy Essentials or her livejournal...
Nazgûl Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 12:22 PM   #25
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

I'd love to play any tenor or baritone part. Javert, the Phantom, Valjean, especially.
Finrod Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2002, 08:54 PM   #26
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

I can see it now... you as Valjean, Miranda as Cosette, I as Eponine - taking the world by storm!!!

Except my two friends who played Cosette in our production have reserved the roles of Christine and Eva Peron so no stealing

The Nazgûl Queen she was, the Ringwraith, the enemy's most terrible servant; darkness went with her and she cried with the voices of death.

Old 11-23-2002, 04:40 PM   #27
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgûl Queen
I can see it now... you as Valjean, Miranda as Cosette, I as Eponine - taking the world by storm!!!

Except my two friends who played Cosette in our production have reserved the roles of Christine and Eva Peron so no stealing
I'm afraid I'm a bit more of a Fantine- I'm not sweet and innocent enough to play Cosette- although if Orli Bloom was Marius I may be tempted to change my mind- Tee Hee Mx
Miranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 01:23 PM   #28
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I actually haven't seen that many plays on Broadway - although I have seen Rent a ton of times. I even had dinner with some of the cast members - Pictures

I saw Chicago twice with Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith from Cheers and fellow New Jerseyan ).

I also saw Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum with Whoopie Goldberg - she was hilarious. (don't think it was a musical though)

Other Broadway plays I've seen in other parts of the country...
Phantom of the Opera - Lousville KY, Indianapolis IN
Rent - Portland OR, Indianapolis, IN, New York, NY
Cats - Louisville KY, Indianapolis IN
Chicago - New York NY
Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum - New York NY
Beauty and the Beast - Toronto Canada
Stomp - Portland OR
1776 - New Brunswick NJ

I feel like I'm missing some - but it could just be that because I've seen Rent 7 times.

Need to see Les Miserables and Miss Saigon. I would also like to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 03:26 PM   #29
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Nazgûl Queen

"Oh what a circus, oh what a show, Argentina has gone to town, over the death of an actress called Eva Perron."
Old 12-03-2002, 04:16 PM   #30
Miranda

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
I actually haven't seen that many plays on Broadway - although I have seen Rent a ton of times. I even had dinner with some of the cast members - Pictures

I saw Chicago twice with Bebe Neuwirth (Lilith from Cheers and fellow New Jerseyan ).

I also saw Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum with Whoopie Goldberg - she was hilarious. (don't think it was a musical though)

Other Broadway plays I've seen in other parts of the country...
Phantom of the Opera - Lousville KY, Indianapolis IN
Rent - Portland OR, Indianapolis, IN, New York, NY
Cats - Louisville KY, Indianapolis IN
Chicago - New York NY
Something Funny Happened on the Way to the Forum - New York NY
Beauty and the Beast - Toronto Canada
Stomp - Portland OR
1776 - New Brunswick NJ

I feel like I'm missing some - but it could just be that because I've seen Rent 7 times.

Need to see Les Miserables and Miss Saigon. I would also like to see Phantom of the Opera on Broadway.
Oh the jealousy- I love Rent but have never had the chance to meet the cast!!!!! *wrinkles up her nose in hatred of herself for never finding the contacts* Its coming back to the west end soon so who knows...Mx
Old 12-04-2002, 12:48 AM   #31
Nazgûl Queen
Elven Warrior

*glares jealously* I have never seen a proffessional musical!!! Well, I saw Annie, but...

All I've actually seen apar from that are amateur performances of Joseph, JSC, Godspell, Les Mis, ITW and BBB

Old 12-05-2002, 11:05 PM   #32
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

Heehee...I think this is the correct place to put this...I'm in "Once Upon A Mattress!" I'm only a chorus lady...it's only at my school...but it IS a PLAY! I'm so awfully hyper...it's wonderful. It is THE MOST hilarious musical I have ever been in! It's a bit dirty at times...but still...wonderfully hilarious!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:50 PM   #33
Mercutio

Favorites? That's tough....

(in no particular order)
My Fair Lady
West Side Story
Man of La Mancha
Sound of Music
Peter Pan
Phantom of the Opera

My dad just got out some really old records. Now I've got "Almost Like Being in Love" (Brigadoon, which I haven't actually seen), "Some Enchanted Evening" (South Pacific, haven't seen), and "Anything You Can Do" (Annie Get Your Gun, also haven't seen) stuck in my head.

I'm superior, you're inferior, I'm the big attraction, you're the small...Anything you can do I can do better, I can do anything better than you. No you can't. Yes I can. No you can't. Yes I can. No you can't. Yes I can, yes I can, yes I can...

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:26 PM   #34
Beruthiel's cat
mystical divinity of Unashamed Felinity

Location: New York's beautiful North Coast -- we're all mad here!!!
Favorite musical of all time:

CATS

(okay...no big surprise there...)

Other favorites (in no particular order):

South Pacific
Jesus Christ Superstar
Carousel
West Side Story
Man of La Mancha
A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (yes, it's a musical, JD -- and the funniest one I've ever seen!!!)
Le Miserables

I've seen CATS seven times -- once on Broadway in NYC, once in Toronto and five times when the touring company came to Rochester.

"Never try to out-stubborn a cat!" -- R. Heinlein

~~~~~~~~~

"But I don't want to be among mad people, " Alice remarked.
"Oh, but you can't help that," said the Cat; "We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here." ~~ Lewis Carroll

~~~~~~~~~~~

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana...
Beruthiel's cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:54 AM   #35
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I've been in 3 musicals, with my high school and my church:
Fiddler on the Roof (church)
Into the Woods (school)
Children of Eden (school)

I was just in the pit orchestra, but I got to know these musicals pretty well and still love them. Other favorites:

Wizard of Oz
Oklahoma
Les Miserables
Beauty and the Beast
Phantom
The Music Man
Anything Goes
West Side Story

Great musical movies:
Mary Poppins
Singin' in the Rain
Bedknobs and Broomsticks
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (why does no one see how great this movie is?)
My Fair Lady

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:13 PM   #36
Voronwen
Lady of Andúnië

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazgûl Queen View Post
you and i may well be competing for roles... unless you're a high soprano like chritine and cosettem in which case we'd be acting together as i'm a mezzo
I am a Christine/Cosette

Phantom and Les Mis have been my favorite musicals since they came out. Christine Daae was my dream role for YEARS!!! There aren't many roles in musical theater for a "legit" high soprano, so in college i made the transition from musical theater to opera. These two shows seem to fall in where the line blurs between the two. And while it's not a favorite show of mine, i've sung the role of Johanna in Sweeney Todd -which is another one that falls into that category.

For older classics, i love Brigadoon. It appeals so much to the romantic in me And yes, i know Fiona's music, too - in the movie version, she was an alto, but in the original show it's written for a high soprano.
" ...But the Exiles on the shores of the sea, if they turned towards the West in the desire of their hearts, spoke of Mar-nu-Falmar that was whelmed in the waves, Akallabêth the Downfallen, Atalantë in the Eldarin tongue."

"Ye who believe in affection that hopes, and endures, and is patient,
Ye who believe in the beauty and strength of woman's devotion,
List to the mournful tradition still sung by the pines of the forest ... "

~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline

Voronwen is offline   Reply With Quote