Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2001, 08:28 PM   #1
Michael Martinez

BZZT! It's not a novelization, it's a "Visual ..."

I really hate the limit that EZBoard puts on subject lines!

That should read:

BZZT! It's not a novelization, it's a "Visual Companion"

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion
By : Jude Fisher

Houghton Mifflin is proud to present a full-color, large-format, guide to the characters, cultures, and locations of J.R.R. Tolkien's extraordinary creation Middle-earth, as depicted in the movie The Fellowship of the Ring - the first of three blockbuster films from New Line Cinema. Filled with stunning imagery and with a thorough, informative narrative text, The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion will provide the reader with a rich feast of detail and information. Featuring exclusive photos of Frodo, Gandalf, the Ringwraiths, elves, and all the other main characters and creatures of the first film, the book also includes breathtaking pictures of Hobbiton, Rivendell, and Moria. The first of a projected three-book series that no Tolkien fan, from novice to expert, should be without, The Fellowship of the Ring Visual Companion contains a special eight-page gatefold of large-format images unique to this book.

www.theonering.net/perl/n.../986238591

It appears to me that they will indeed be retelling the storyline from the perspective of the movies. How can they discuss all that other stuff without doing so?

I'm sure that someone somewhere along the way heard about this book along with the reissue of the Lord of the Rings that would just have a movie-based cover, and that led to the Diamond Previews announcement which led to all the confusion.
Old 04-04-2001, 02:38 AM   #2
Film Hobbit

Re: BZZT! It's not a novelization, it's a "Visual ..."

Micheal,

This does not at ALL sound to me like a retelling. Its basically a book with a bunch of pictures from the movie with little captions telling about each picture. 3 weeks ago I was at an antique store and picked up a similar little book for the movie Star Trek III. They are quite common and usually are no more than 30 pages in length. Its basically a picture book.

Nice to hear they are doing the right thing.
Old 04-04-2001, 03:30 AM   #3
Michael Martinez

Not having seen the book, I can only guess at what it's going to do. But I have the impression that it will be discussing events and characters in the first movie (the second book being devoted to the third movie, etc.).

With only 10,000 words to work with, I'm sure it won't seem like a novelization. But if the basic storyline isn't documennted I will be kind of surprised. How do you talk about the characters and peoples without putting them into context (that is, mentioning the storyline)?
Old 04-04-2001, 04:25 PM   #4
Film Hobbit

Think of it more as a big Thesis paper someone wrote on the book.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:15 PM   #5
Darth Tater

I was under the impression that those new pics at theonering.net are from the book, and they just seem like character pics to introduce people to the story. BTW, anyone notice that Cate Blanchet is wearing black in that pic? Wassup with that?
Old 04-09-2001, 08:15 PM   #6
Inoldonil

Is she really? Or is a Hobbit riding with Arwen onto the Pelennor Fields?
Old 04-11-2001, 03:42 AM   #7
anduin

Perhaps it is an attempt to familiarize the uninitiated with LOTR much in the same way Dune did when a small glossary was handed out with the movie tickets to help the viewer keep everything straight.....except this will surely cost money.
Old 04-12-2001, 03:24 AM   #8
Film Hobbit

If you have to give your audience a glossary so they can understand your film... you might be making a really ****py movie.
Old 04-12-2001, 03:57 AM   #9
Inoldonil

LOL!