Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2002, 03:45 AM   #21
Millane
The Dude

well i guess that is settled mind you i still like FB's theory... very good FiddlestickBundy very good.
Old 10-20-2002, 03:51 AM   #22
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Footnote to Tolkien's Letters #131
The Hobbits are, of course, really meant to be a branch of the specifically human race (not Elves or Dwarves) - hence the two kinds can dwell together (as at Bree), and are called just the Big Folk and Little Folk. They are entiry without non-human powers, but are represented as being more in touch with 'nature' (the soil and other living things, plants and animals), and abnormally, for humans, free from ambition or greed of wealth. They are made small, little more than half human stature, but dwindling as the years pass) partly to exhibit the pettiness of man, plain unimaginative parochial man - though not with either the smallness or the savageness of Swift, and mostly to show up, in creatures of very small physical power, the amazing and unexpected heroism of ordinary men 'at a pinch'.
Old 10-21-2002, 01:46 PM   #23
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Well, these are a bunch of very imaginative and interesting theories. My own is that they live around or near Hobbiton, in the shire. I rather doubt that they are the Old Forest, but I think that they live in the general vicinity. In The Fellowship of the Ring, in one of the earlier conversations in Hobbiton, Sam has an argument with Ted Sandyman. In it, the fact that one, maybe two reliable hobbits saw a walking tree. I believe that this was an entwife, and the entwives had good reason to like that area, as some of the rest of you I think have pointed out. And besides, the ents didn't know about the existence of the hobbits, which implies that they never looked that far.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 08:38 PM   #24
Keith K
Elf Lord

I agree with Lief. Most of the clues to this mystery point to the Shire as the latest home of the remaining Entwives. The walking tree that was not a native species to the area "no elm trees in the Northfarthing" or something to that effect, is one clue. Treebeard saying that the Shire sounded like a place that the Entwives would be drawn to is another. The earlier suggestion that they were captured and turned into trolls has much merit as well. Perhaps the answer is that both of these outcomes occured. Those that escaped being 'trolled' hunkered down in the Northfarthing!
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 10:05 AM   #25
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Tolkien himself, in the selection from Letter the irascible BoP posted, indicates in NO way that the Entwives headed northwest from Fangorn. He indicates an eastward trek, from the Anduin valley eastward, and in no way indicates even a hint of them moving off towards the Shire.

Based upon what Ronald himself wrote, theories that the Entwives ended up near the Shire are non-sequitur.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:35 PM   #26
BeardofPants
the Shrike

You said it, Brop.
Old 11-06-2002, 06:10 PM   #27
Finglas
Enting

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
Tolkien himself, in the selection from Letter the irascible BoP posted, indicates in NO way that the Entwives headed northwest from Fangorn. He indicates an eastward trek, from the Anduin valley eastward, and in no way indicates even a hint of them moving off towards the Shire.

Based upon what Ronald himself wrote, theories that the Entwives ended up near the Shire are non-sequitur.
It does seem logical that many of the entwives were either killed, enslaved, or turned into trolls by Sauron. That was what Tolkien speculated anyway. Nevertheless, it was only speculation. I think that since there is no contrary evidence, and given the 'walking tree' sighting in the Nothfarthing and the entishness of the Old Forest, the theory that at least a few of the entwives escaped to the Shire is not only completely possible but highly probable.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:33 PM   #28
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

while Tolkien doesn't say that they went west, it is nice to think that the entwives were what Sam and others saw in the shire!

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 01:11 AM   #29
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The quote does say that some may have survived. The last line, "I don't know", really leaves it open to any speculation, except maybe the hobbit thing. That's just crazy talk.

I wonder about the "walking tree" sighting as well.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 12:38 AM   #30
Firekitten2006
Elven Warrior

Location: the US of A! But I wish i was in austraila, never been, just think it would be a fun place to live :)
Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
That's just crazy talk.
ok....I'm going to forget that you are saying that a theory is crazy talk when you and other ppl are debating what happened to the Entwives. I mean, in books you really never know what happens to somethings. Its supposed to be like that.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:52 AM   #31
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Quote:
Originally posted by Firekitten2006
ok....I'm going to forget that you are saying that a theory is crazy talk when you and other ppl are debating what happened to the Entwives. I mean, in books you really never know what happens to somethings. Its supposed to be like that.
Books? I have no idea what you mean.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 01:19 AM   #32
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
The Orcs were initially Elves who were taken and tortured, misshapen and twisted by Morgoth. . . . Sauron's final triumph over the Ents and Entwives was the foul offspring of nameless sires and Entwives, the hideous and massive Olog-Hai, which make their appearance at the Battle of the Morrannon. [/B]
It wasn't Mendel, I think, but another geneticist whose name escapes me, who cut the tails off innumerable generations of mice to prove that acquired traits cannot be inherited.
In other words, JRR to the contrary, there's no way Morgoth could have changed Elves into orcs by torture -- unless he used magic (which would be cheating, and all bets would be off). Neither could Sauron have derived olog-hai from Ents; (or hobbits from Entwives). Actually hobbits out of entwives is more possible than either of the above, but still unlikely. Ents are plants, right? Hobbits are mammals, like men.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:34 AM   #33
Valarauko5
Hobbit

hmmm. I don't see why some of the Entwives couldn't have been turned into trolls and such, and yet some escape into the shire and some to the east. The lands to the east are never really talked about. But I really don't think they turned into Hobbits. That was great deduction though! *applauds loudly and honestly*
Valarauko5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #34
The Dread Pirate Roberts
Elf Lord

Ents are not plants. They are man-like beings with plant-like properties or maybe plant-like beings with man-like properties.

I think a few Entwives may have survived but not in great numbers. I think an Ent or Entwife was seen in the Shire, as in Sam's tale. I also think there had to have been at least one lurking in Ithilien.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM   #35
Coffeehouse
Entmoot Minister of Foreign Affairs

Tip: If you're curious about what happened to the Entwives, read Long Lost Leaves in the RPG thread. We'll be closing in on the answer within the next 6-12 months I think
Coffeehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
Varnafindë
Princess of the Noldor (and Administrative Empress of the Lone Islands)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeehouse View Post
Tip: If you're curious about what happened to the Entwives, read Long Lost Leaves in the RPG thread. We'll be closing in on the answer within the next 6-12 months I think
There could be reasons why our answer might not be considered canon, though

Signature picture art - Bard the Bowman - by vigshane
Avatar art - Footsteps of Spring (a young Luthien) - by Henning Janssen
Varnafindë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 04:18 AM   #37
Willow Oran
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
It wasn't Mendel, I think, but another geneticist whose name escapes me, who cut the tails off innumerable generations of mice to prove that acquired traits cannot be inherited.
In other words, JRR to the contrary, there's no way Morgoth could have changed Elves into orcs by torture -- unless he used magic (which would be cheating, and all bets would be off). Neither could Sauron have derived olog-hai from Ents; (or hobbits from Entwives).
Unless by 'torture' he meant awful manipulation of their DNA. Given the semi-divine natures of the perpetrators, I wouldn't discount that.

Something else that should be recalled is that Tolkien only talked about the ents/entwives who dwelt EAST of the Misty Mountains. But it is likely that some of them once lived in Beleriand, and that those came into Eriador after the War of Wrath. There very likely were entwives, and ents, living ever more sleepy and enstranged from their eastern kin in or around the Shire, whose being there had nothing to do with escaping from Sauron. None of the other free races of Middle Earth ever existed as a population confined to a single location, not since the elves first started wandering away from Cuivenien, so why should we assume the ents did?
Tough Guide To FantasyLand

...it's not much of a show if somebody doesn't suffer, and preferably at length. Suffering is beautiful in any case, and so is anguish; but as for loathing, and bitterness... I don't think they belong on the stage at all.

- Isabella, I Gelosi
Willow Oran is offline   Reply With Quote