Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2001, 08:46 PM   #1
ann
Sapling

Gandalf Question

The runes used in The Hobbit on Thor's map are English runes and are simple to translate, but runes used in The Lord of the Rings ( such as the ones on Balin's Tombstone) are not of that same sort. It seems that the one's in The Lord of the Rings are Daeron's runes which were modified by the dwarves of Moria. Is there any reason to explain this difference???
ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 10:15 PM   #2
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Im willing to bet the publisher had something to do with it. I cannot think of any reason Thor would not have used The Cirth and I certainly can't imagine him using unmodified english runes.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #3
Galin
Elven Warrior

In 1937 Tolkien wrote that the Anglo-Saxon runes in The Hobbit were 'regretfully substituted to avoid abstruseness for the genuine alphabets... of the mythology into which Mr Baggins intrudes'.

Arden Smith notes (in Certhas, Skirditalia, Futhark, published in Tolkien's Legendarium) that:

Quote:
'This would imply that Tolkien, in his fictional role as translator and editor of Bilbo's diary, used the Anglo-Saxon runes to represent the cirth of the original. This is supported by Tolkien's statement in the foreword to the 1966 third edition of The Hobbit '[The Dwarves'] runes are in this book represented by English runes' (H, 8, itlaics mine)'.
Though, as Arden Smith also points out, the answer is far from clear if Tolkien's letters are also raised (letter of 1938 to The Observer, a letter to Rhona Beare in 1963, and a letter to Jane Sibley of 1964), in my opinion I think the implication Tolkien himself published is the best answer, that the languages and these runes have been translated.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote