FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #21
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

I was in the same predicament, so I found these writers:

Terry Brooks
David Eddings
Robert Jordan

Each one has written many books and is still writing. There are many others as well. So many good books, so little time. Peace.

Last edited by Mark of Cenla : 07-11-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Mark of Cenla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #22
druss
Hobbit

raymond e feist is an author to look out for, read magician and you'll be hooked. there is also on rpg for the pc called return to krondor(or something similar).
also tad williams books of memory,sorrow and thorn(see my post). .
the farseer trilogy is also pretty cool
Old 04-26-2003, 11:58 PM   #23
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

thank you all for your suggestions I'll look a few of those authors up.
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 07:37 PM   #24
Raistlin
Enting

the dragon riders of pern or anything related to pern also robert jordans eye of the world or the swords trilogy

Maud'ib
I am a Bene Gesserit, I live only to serve

check this out:
http://www.kingsofchaos.com/recruit.php?uniqid=m5699nnk

Okay come on and help me some more its different game this time
http://www.outwar.com/page.php?x=1906371
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #25
Mari
Elf Lady

There are so many books here I read and loved!
I loved the Bitterbynde series by Cecilia Dart-Thornton. I like Elizabeth Haydon, I've read the Amber-series by Zelazny (bit weird, but fairly interesting) I am a huge fan of Raymond E feist and the joint books of David and Leigh Eddings are also very good (I didn't like the books written by David though, too dry).

One writer that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Laurell K. Hamilton.
Her books are for the more adult readers among us as it's contents contain violence and sex and it usually represents the more dark side of fantasy, but I think it is really really good.

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #26
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin - one of my very favorites. I would be a great exaggeration to say I spend more time reading it then not, but not that great.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 11:44 PM   #27
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Get your hands on the early Michael Moorcock Eternal Champion series(es), especially the Elric of Melnibone series, the Corum series, and the Dorian Hawkmoon series. Most are available on Ebay and Amazon.com. Not anywhere near as detailed as LotR, but very enjoyable, and characters that will stick with you for a lifetime.

Stay away from the Robert Jordan crap. He will get you hooked, you will buy book after book, bottom out in the middle of book seven or eight, and leave you poorer and not really caring what the heck happens from that point on. The guy just milked it far too long.

The George RR Martin series Fire and Ice, starting with "A Game of Thrones", will hook you in and keep you interested through all four books and have you slavering for the fifth, still to be written.

Also, I highly recommend the Dune series, Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and theGrey Mouser books, and Robert Howard's original Conan tales.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #28
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

How come no one has mentioned Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman? I´ve read many of their books and they were terrifically good. I´ll be going to the library soon, so I might be bringing more names today.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:18 PM   #29
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

A little while ago I finished the Sword of Shannara - trilogy, and it is great. As good as Mr. Tolkien. It´s been written by Terry Brooks. And a greater while ago I read the trilogy written by Garth Nix. The books are Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen. Recommend reading them. Yours,

Noble Elf Lord
Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #30
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

For a change of pace, I recommend picking up Gene Wolfe, especially the Book of the Long Sun. Excellent author; far better than most of the stuff cluttering the fantasy genre.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM   #31
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Elf Lord
How come no one has mentioned Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman? I´ve read many of their books and they were terrifically good.
I agree!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #32
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bropous
Stay away from the Robert Jordan crap. He will get you hooked, you will buy book after book, bottom out in the middle of book seven or eight, and leave you poorer and not really caring what the heck happens from that point on. The guy just milked it far too long.
Haha...too true.
Quote:
The George RR Martin series Fire and Ice, starting with "A Game of Thrones", will hook you in and keep you interested through all four books and have you slavering for the fifth, still to be written.
Indeed, indeed. Excellent stuff, and I've only read the first two. (Just might want to mention the graphic stuff that pops in there from time to time)
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 03:49 PM   #33
luvEyowen
Hobbit

I am reading this really great fantasy series called Left Behind by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins and I really like it. there are like 15 books It will take you a while to read them all but don't start with Left behind start with the rising

International Sprite Leauge: the place for all sprite owners.

It's amazing: Sm ppl actlly undrstnd ths!
luvEyowen is offline   Reply With Quote