Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-02-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

Firefly

Well, it would appear that the only Firefly thread around here was started 2 years ago, so I didn't think it was worth necromancing. So...

Anyone else around here watch this? I've seen the first five episodes ("Shindig" through "Out of Gas"), as well as "The Message" (which is one that never aired, and the first Firefly episode I saw). Love the show. Especially the theme song.

It's quite amazing what you discover in college.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

'Tis an awesome show. Joss Whedon is a god.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Here's the questions I posted in the old thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farimir Captain of Gondor View Post
Ahhh yes, sweet Serenity. Who could've possibly bullied you in to this?

Here we go,

1)Favorite character- It's so hard to choose one. They all had their own little things that I liked about them. Even Simon. I'll get into this in a later post. If I had to choose one though it would have to Mal. With Jayne a very close second. He's a true leader. Heroic, brave, intelligent, and he's able to keep moral up. I love the way he protects and watches over each and every person on his crew. EVERY PERSON. His sense of humor is great and yet he knows when it's not time to joke around. Like I said, I'll get more in depth in a future post.

2)Favorite episode-Another hard choice. I'll have to go with War Stories though. It's got a little bit of everything. You get see the tough side of Mal, and the fun side. The crew rallies together and you get to see how much they really do care for one another. You also get to see a preview of Rivers abilities than come out in the movie. My favorite line from that one: Nietchka(sp?)-"You died Mr. Reynolds." Mal-"Seemed like the thing to do."

3)Cancellation-*censored* stupid *censored* idiotic *censored* morons

4)Sexiest character-Though Kaylee is sooo very cute, the sexiest is defenitely Innara. *drools* *drools some more*

5)Theme song- Do I like it? Lets just say I sing it in the shower everyday, it's on my ipod, and I called the local radio station once and asked them to play it, it was a dare.

6)Philosophy of Firefly-I'll have think about this. I do love how there is no sound in the space shots, no weird aliens, and there is no "set your phasers to stun". Also, that everyone knows Chinese. The idea that the US and China were the only surving super poweres in the future.

7)What happened between the time Firefly ended and Serenity began- they took some jobs, got in trouble, Simon whined, Kaylee fixed the ship while having fun and looking cute, Book keep everything "civil", Innara took some "jobs", Mal was cool, funny, and keep everyone alive, Wash flew the ship with flawless accuracy and made some funny comments about not wanting to take a job, Jayne kicked ass, Zoe followed Mal and kicked ass, and River, well, River was just River.

8)Will Firefly come back-I really hope so. It wouldn't be the same without some of the crew, but; it would still be great. I'd really like to see it on a network like HBO or Showtime where they could have a little more freedom with the show. Like not having to say all the derogatory things in Chinese.

9)How cool is Jayne- Way cool.

10)Comparison to other of Joss' works-Though I liked Buffy, this is the best one, IMO. At least it didn't suck as bad as Angel did.

More to come......
Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I loved Firefly. It was unlike anything I ever saw. Josh Whedon's a god alright.

How braindead must one have been to axe a show like that!

I still got to see the Serenity-movie, though.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #5
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Never managed to see the show, alas, but thought "Serenity" was very good, though everyone tells me the show was better.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
Curubethion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayMouser View Post
Never managed to see the show, alas, but thought "Serenity" was very good, though everyone tells me the show was better.
Ah, you must find someone who has it on DVD. That's how I got to see the episodes I've seen. The show is great.

"Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me."
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

I thought the show had potential, but it never lived upto it's promise IMO. the movie was better.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

The show was great! Why is it all the good shows get axed before they get a chance?

I have the theme song on my computer, but it'll only play when I'm online. Weird.

I haven't seen the movie. Yet

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:51 PM   #9
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

http://onlytv.org/shows/firefly
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Curubethion

So, I've just watched all but the last two episodes, I must say, Trash was quite the episode. Unforgettable ending, that's for sure.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM   #11
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Yeah! I love firefly! It was a totally awesome show.

I'm glad it ended early on, though. I hate it when shows just drag on and on because they were good at first, and then they just collapse into a pile of crap.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
Curubethion

True, that would've been bad. But it could've gone on for at least another series, you'd think...
Old 02-20-2008, 01:05 AM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

They never even finished season one.
And WTF you talkin' 'bout willis? It's Joss WHEDON. His stuff gets better as the series & characters progress. Argh, I'm still teh mad. >.<
Old 02-24-2008, 02:19 AM   #14
Curubethion

Okay, so I finished off the season, saw Serenity. Nice, nice stuff. Very good. Shiny.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:59 AM   #15
D.Sullivan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curubethion View Post
Okay, so I finished off the season, saw Serenity. Nice, nice stuff. Very good. Shiny.
"Shiny" indeed! I love this show! Judging by the stuff Whedon wrote before this, I never would have thought I'd like this show. But I do. The writings great, the cast is great, productions great, and love the music. The soundtrack tops it all off. Magical.

It hurts the Josh says he wouldn't do more even if he had the chance. I agree with Tessar that it's better short then long, but that was too short!
As beautifully as it was taken up.

Thoreau.
D.Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote