Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Belwen_of_nargothrond
Enting

Elven Loves

I've only read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. I have yet to read the others. I was curious, I can think of many instances where elf maidens fell in love with mortal men. But is there anything written about elf lords falling in love with mortal women?
Belwen_of_nargothrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

There's one, I believe. The woman was named Andreth, I forgot the Elf's name. It is somewhere in the History of Middle-earth series, but personally I have yet to read it.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
The Telcontarion
The one true King of the human race, direct descendant of Adam and heir to the kings of old. "You owe me your fealty." The Tar Minyaturion

Strider I have always wondered as well....

But alas, I have never come across it.

Ecclesiasticus 2:1-5
1 My son, if thou come to serve the Lord, prepare thy soul for temptation...
...4 Whatsoever is brought upon thee take cheerfully, and be patient when thou art changed to a low estate. 5 For gold is tried in the fire, and acceptable men in the furnace of adversity.

Romans 5:3
And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
The Telcontarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #4
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

That was Aegnor, brother of Finrod and Galadriel, who was in love with Andreth of the Hose of Beor, in Dorthonion in northern Beleriand. There was no marriage/consumation becasue aegnor held to the Edarin tradition of not starting families during times of great danger/serious war, reinforced by his premonition of his soon coming death in battle.
Most of the information for this comes from the Athrabeth (sp), a discussion between Finrod and Andreth about mortality and the Morgoth caused "fall of mankind", in HoME. You should be able to find a disucssion of that by searching the forums here.
The Elvish 'history' mostly covers only the nobility and royalty and I suspect there were many more Elf human unions among the lower classes that no bard or scribe bothered to preserve for the future.
"Mighty are the Ainur, and mightiest among them is Melkor, but that he may know, and all the Ainur, that I am Iluvatar, those things that ye have sung, I will show them forth, ... And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me,"

Last edited by Lefty Scaevola : 12-15-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote