Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 PM   #21
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfmaster XK
What does she look like? Appart from her tattoo does she have any distinguishing features? Scars maybe?
She has golden brown hair. She wears a tunic and breeches. Under the tunic is a silverwhite mailtunic. She does have scars on her lower abdomin(sp), but only one person knows about that.

Quote:
I didn't quite understand this sentence fully, but I assume you mean her mother left her. Where for and to do what? And why did she leave the child? Was she ashamed of her union with a man and its product?
Yes, her mother left her. No one knows where the Elves go. She left over grief over her husband's death, but left her child behind to be raised an Elf.

Quote:
Because she had taken the oath? Or for some other reasons? What did this do to her mentally and physically? Did she find it difficult to live alone? How did she learn how to cope without anyone else to feed/protect her?
Because she took the Oath and the fact that she has human blood. Her family did not approve of the union that produced Erane. She hardened. At first, she found it a bit difficult after 23 years of living among others. She coped quickly.

Quote:
Where did the elves go? Is this a fan-fic character then?Did she hide the elven blood to fit in more, or because she was afraid of being shunned also by men?
No it's not fan-fic. She hide the elven blood so not to raise questions. Erane didn't have the same abilities as the other elves. She could speak with her thoughts and she had visions, but nothing else. Men accepted her for who she was. She had gained respect for her skill with the blade and bow.

Quote:
Where did she go? Did she hide in one place, with someone else, always keep on the move?
She went to a place that was distroyed before she was born, called by the locals The Ruins. After it was deserted, she went to the Asagai sancuary, Herot, where she was born. She usually was alone.

Quote:
People would likely still be alive and remember her after only 3 years. She would have to hide for a long time to be forgotten and start over, otherwise they would notice she had been faking her death.
The fact the people thought she was dead was not her doing, she was pulled down into an abyss by the Enemy. The time to fake her death was no where near. She herself thought her time had come. Her survival was a miracle.

Quote:
What sort of temperament does she have? She seems like a very lonely figure to me. Has she any friends/had any friends? Why did she chose not to go with the other elves? Or was she not allowed?
Her temperment varies. She's patient, but she can snap without warning. Erane can be a loyal friend or a bitter enemy. Over the years, she has had numorious friends. She currently has found that one of her close friends is closer than a friend. Most of her friends are men, with an ocassional woman. She chose not to go with the elves because of their bias against half-elves. She was allowed, but chose not to.

Have you ever thought about being a creative writing teacher? You do a great job at helping people improve their writing. I would have never thought of some of these things had you not pointed them out

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 AM   #22
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acalewia

Have you ever thought about being a creative writing teacher? You do a great job at helping people improve their writing. I would have never thought of some of these things had you not pointed them out
Aww, thanks Acally But as much as I'd enjoy it, you really have to have some sort of authority to teach writing. Like being a published author. Otherwise, why should people listen to you? But, I am working on being published So amybe one day!

Also, those were some excellent answers. You sounded really sure of what you said in them all. Like you know Erane inside out, what she'd do in any given situation.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:45 PM   #23
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Aww, thanks Acally But as much as I'd enjoy it, you really have to have some sort of authority to teach writing. Like being a published author. Otherwise, why should people listen to you? But, I am working on being published So amybe one day!

Quote:
Also, those were some excellent answers. You sounded really sure of what you said in them all. Like you know Erane inside out, what she'd do in any given situation.
I try to flesh out my characters, make them seem more like real people insted of just Fictional characters in a story. Make them more believable, you know.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
Nuelbar
Hobbit

Hello one and all! I hope all is well and that you are still continuing to write. I hope this thread becomes undead because i am going to post a character on this thread for replies from other people and writers.

Hildeguard : Hildeguard is a teenager by our standards of about 18 or 19. He lives in a village that is surrounded on all sides by mountains known as the Uegathar Mountains. (There is umlautes on the first "U" but i don't knooow how to put them on right now. I forgot. ) The village is one that raises its own crops and does trade within itself. (Because to cross the mountains would be too hard. Not worth a life) Hildeguard is one of the main characters(more to come) and his father is a farmer much like all of the other villagers, farmers, except the skilled men like blacksmiths, butchers, and school teacher, etc. No one knows what happened to his mother she disappeared. Hildeguard has not learned to fight yet because he has no need, being secure inside a mountain range that no one ever comes in except very rarely. Then one day a group of knights come and. . . .

I would like to ask for you to please post and give me comments. After knowning that we have lift off I will write more. Well ttyl
Nuelbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #25
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Thanks for starting this back up again, Neulbar. I'd like to see this thread revived as well, so here's to doing my part:

Neulbar, I'd like to know just a few more things about your character, Hildegaurd. Have you thought about his appearance or his demeanor at all? How about his strengths and weaknesses (not just in combat, either )? I'm not sure if you're saving them for later, or just accidently forgot them, but they are rather vital to a main character. If you're having trouble with them don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what this thread is for!
Tuinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #26
Nuelbar
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuinor
Thanks for starting this back up again, Neulbar. I'd like to see this thread revived as well, so here's to doing my part:

Neulbar, I'd like to know just a few more things about your character, Hildegaurd. Have you thought about his appearance or his demeanor at all? How about his strengths and weaknesses (not just in combat, either )? I'm not sure if you're saving them for later, or just accidently forgot them, but they are rather vital to a main character. If you're having trouble with them don't be afraid to ask for help, that's what this thread is for!
He is tall and has about a medium build. He is long black hair that sort of stays in small tufts. He normally would wear black or brown leather pants and a white cloth shirt, or a color that is off white actually. He is a very charismatic guy, laughs alot and everyone loves to be around him. Loves to hunt and fish. He is very skilled with a bow. He could make an accurate shot of 80 yards which is I say a pretty impossible shot with an old wooden bow. He struggles when he gets around girls, and he also gets nervous very easily in things he is not familiar with. However, he is very confident in things that he is familiar with.

Any things (uncluding here) you could help me chisel out?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #27
Tuinor
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelbar
Any things (uncluding here) you could help me chisel out?
What color are his eyes?

I'm just messin' with ya, Nuelbar ; you're getting this character down good enough. Miniscule details aren't always too important, so I won't try and force you to think of all of them. I'd be careful, though, about trying to make a character that everyone is supposed to like. That can cause some people to not like them. Unless, of course, the character is in fact extremely likeable. Then they have no choice.
Tuinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:53 AM   #28
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuelbar
He could make an accurate shot of 80 yards which is I say a pretty impossible shot with an old wooden bow.
Not true. Old English longbows are capable of shooting further than that, around 100 yards, if in skilled hands. It is difficult, but not impossible.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #29
Nuelbar
Hobbit

Quote:
Not true. Old English longbows are capable of shooting further than that, around 100 yards, if in skilled hands. It is difficult, but not impossible.
I would like to redeem myself by saying that i found out that a very skilled bowman, in years past, would never shoot anything, when practicing, less that 260 yards because he considered it a waste of an arrow. This is an extremely awesome fact i learned at a seminar I attended the other day. The seminar also included how to make ancient gun powder!

The characters eyes would be blue. I also agree with your statement, Tuinor, about some not liking my character because everyone else likes him. He is the only boy in his family's lineage, the rest are girls. This makes most of the people in his village, like him more.

Sorry guys i can't post more but i am going to bed.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #30
NoIdeaWhatI'mDoing
Hobbit

I guess that great minds think alike!

I proposed something similar a while ago during a Role Play. That was mainly due to the fact that all of my characters have their own file already anyway. I used this sort of format. The following is a description of one of my Role Play characters.

Quote:
Character file: General Nathaniel David Specific

Nathaniel Specific, son of Philip and Ester and brother of Gregor, Edward, and Brenda, is one of the youngest generals of Vaegir, at twenty years of age. He is bordering on six feet in height, has brilliant blond hair and stone-grey eyes, and is as strong or stronger than almost anyone of his age. After a khergit attack on his family's home, which orphaned him and forced him to live in the streets, he turned his attention to war. He had been trained well by his father, but became truly great after spending some time training with an old man who showed how even great strength could be beaten by agility and good swordwork. During his training, Nathaniel became cocky and overconfident, but was lucky when he was taught a valuable lesson by way of a fisticuffs in a tavern, which landed him up for several days in the local healers, instead of on the battlefield. When the War began, Nathaniel formed a group which he dubbed The First People's Brigade of Calradia, whose clearly stated purpose was to reunite Calradia under one banner. At first, the venture was neutral in its approach, but became increasingly Vaegir as time went by. Men flocked by the hundreds to support the brigade, and it was soon quite large and effective in all that it did. General Specific has gained wisdom beyond his years by making it a constant point to never make the same mistake twice. His efforts helped reunite Calradia, along with those of his fellow commanders Padua, Llew, and Robin. However, as the events took place to cause the reunion, A new enemy presented itself in the form of the dark knights. Specific was injured badly while being interrogated by Brutus, the Knights' commander, and has several broken ribs and a broken leg. His overall status is unknown, although it is known that he was extracted for the Knights' camp.

Trivial matters (For fun):

1) Although he is sure that his father, mother, and sister are all dead, Nathaniel has never found any trace of his brothers, Gregor and Edward.
2) Nathaniel goes by Nathaniel, Specific, and Nathan (with his closer friends).
3) Nathaniel keeps several strings of beads with him, not for luck, but to remind him of his mistakes (he adds a bead for every mistake).

Skills (Scale of 1-10):

Strength: 9
Agility: 6
Hand-to-hand: 8
Archery: 7
Swordwork: 9
Intelligence: 8
Tactical: 8
Overall Combat Effectiveness: 8
NoIdeaWhatI'mDoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #31
Nautipus
Kraken King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuinor
Here's a character from a story I have recently started, if any are interested:

His name is Aen, a young Man (roughly eighteen) with a really hard past (I know, I know, the stereotype fantasy hero). He was born in the small town of South Dale to the race of Mortal Men known as the Undari-Ruan. At the age of nine his home town was sacked by orcs (I really hate to use orcs or elves, but I can't think of any good names by which to call these creatures), but his father and other men of the town managed to escape the catastrophe along with him and others. Instead of simply letting go, Aen's father established a sort of band of those who had lost their homes and lead them in countless raids against the orcs. Aen grew and learned early on about war and death, but as he grew close to coming of age his father's band, which he was a part of, was ambushed and supposedly all but him were slain. For a long time he wandered alone in the wilderness until finally he came upon the fortress city of Odoruen, where he was met by a prophet who gave him a greatsword ironically named Hope, saying that he would be the bearer of Hope to Mortal Men. Not knowing what fate shall throw at him next, he once again takes on the life of the wanderer, and despite his negative outlook he keeps the blade.

His looks are rather drab. Though his golden hair is rarely found among his people, which tend to have dark brown or black hair, his light blue eyes are common in all the Undari-Ruan. He is perhaps a bit shorter than the standard, but for his age he is very muscular. Some scars show on his body, but what warrior doesn't have scars? His clothes are often what give people the misconception that he is a troublemaker, for the leather they are made from shows many signs of tear and abuse. The only thing of worth that he wears is a gauntlet made up of three kite-shaped plates. He hides his face under his hood very often, as his different colored hair makes him feel like an "Outlander," as foriegners are known in that region.

So, what do you think, all you reading out there?

When are you going to finish that story, T-man?

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"