Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2007, 02:47 AM   #1
sisi041
Sapling

disappointed interview

I have attended 2 interviews in two days in a row. None of those can make me satisfied. I know it is useless to complain, I still want to say the way they interviewed is not scientific at all. What they tested is people's memory instead of problem solving skill.

For the second interview, they ask me how many bytes is for char and int. It is lucky that I remember it is 1 and 4. They turned to ask me for a struct like "struct a { char c; int i;};", how many bytes it occupied? I am sure about that and answer 5 at that time. But the answer is 8 after I went back to home and made a program to compute it. Then I know I fail that interview. I feel frustrated and innocent. Is this test meaningful? Do they really think this test meaningful? Actually, it is so easy to get the really answer with a computer. But they may think every programmer should remember it because it is so simple and fundamental. People who don't know it are not eligible for being a professional engineer. That sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

My point is if I can get the answer quickly in whatever way then I won't bother to remember it at all. I allocate most of my brain on thinking and innovating rather than remembering. Under this interview mechanism companies are prone to select the people who is good at remembering knowledges rather than who can solve real problems. More bad, companies are prone to select the people who is experts on interview rathe than who is experts on working.

My wishful interview should be to allot each candidate a computer with internet access and some real problems. Candidates are assigned to work out them in limited time by all means. They can use man command under linux or google through internet and anything they want. That is to test whether people can finish their duties in their future work. In working time you don't restrict your employees from using those subsidiary tools, why you do in interview?

I know only failing people complain because complainng can change nothing. The only thing I can change is myself, so I will make myself adapt to the society as possible as I can no matter how reluctant I am. That's all.
sisi041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:02 AM   #2
strider8
Elven Warrior

Location: In a spaceship, floating in your puny planet's atmosphere, awaiting orders to invade
Welcome to the moot sisi041
The axes hewed Forlong as he fought alone and unhorsed; and both Duilin of Morthond and his brother were trampled to death when they assailed the mumakil,leading their bowmen close to shoot at the eyes of the monsters. Neither Hirluin the fair would return to Pinnath Gelin, nor Grimbold to Grimslade, nor Halbarad to the northlands,dour-handed Ranger.

Those that would not return home, page830-831, The Battle of the Pelennor Fields, The Return of the King
strider8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #3
Mari
Elf Lady

Welcome to Entmoot!
Too bad your interviews didn't go as you wanted. Your idea of interviews sounds good to me and you are right that just testing memory is wrong. But if the questions are as fundamental as you say, you should be able to answer them without tools. You can't always rely on your tools and the basics are necessary to apply to other cases.
I'm sure you'll be able to find a company that suits your view more. Keep trying!!
Where are you from anyway?

...The Earth laughs in flowers ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Hamatreya"...
Mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
sisi041
Sapling

Thanks for your welcome.

I know it is better to have more things in brain. But I have a inherent bad memory which make me upset.

I come from beijing, China. I lost my previous job so I have many time online and coming here.
sisi041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 AM   #5
OldHippie
Elven Warrior

Keep digging sisi, you'll find somthing. The stuff your talking about iI call trivia. I took a lab certification test a few years back and the whole thing consisted of trivia. I knew all the important stuff but they thought that the hold time on a particular sample was more important than the actual test. Welcome to the board.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

Sometimes employers use problem solving interviews. Then they steal your answer and don't hire you anyway. That is discouraging.

If you can remember English as a second language, your memory is fine.

Welcome.

Cool. I want one.

TMNT

No, I'm not emo. I just have a really poor sense of direction. (Thanks to katya for this quote)

This is the best news story EVER!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26087293/

“Often my haste is a mistake, but I live with the consequences without complaint.”...John McCain

"I shall go back. And I shall find that therapist. And I shall whack her upside her head with my blanket full of rocks." ...Louisa May
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #7
Nautipus
Kraken King

Welcome to the 'Moot, sisi.

I agree with you. Interviews should probably focus more on an individual's performance, rather than just their memory. Although, if it is as basic as you say, you may want to brush up in case another interviewer pulls the same stunt.

"You ever try to flick a fly?
"No."
"It's a waste of time."

"Can you see it?"
"No."
"It's right there!"
"Where?
"There!"
"What is it?"
"A crab."
"A crab? I dont see any crab."
"How?! It's right there!!"