Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-08-2007, 04:00 AM   #41
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaimir Windgem
Benedictines are good, but you just can't beat the Carthusians! It's so cool that the recipe for Chartreuse is only known by three monks...and these monks are bound by vows of silence...
And that's so typically an Elvish kind of thing, too, isn't it? Perfect analogy - they would totally be guarding a secret mystery recipe for some exotic, impossibly tasty amazing liqueur. Exactly like the Chartreuse making monks, exactly like that.

BTW - er *raises hand* What are "Luddites?" *feels terribly catholically undereducated...* Is that a specific order of the catholic monks? Or is that some sort of new technological material, "luddite" like something they make spacecraft hulls out of or something... er...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #42
The last sane person
The Black Númenórean

Luddites: A term for people who opposes technological progress and technological change.

Originally a group of English textile (I think) workers who smashed the machines that were taking their jobs. Lead by a fellow named Ned( or Ted?) Ludd, they got to a point where for a brief time, they were actually strong enough to fight with the British army in large scale conflicts. They were eventually stamped out in the end, but their sentiment still remains strong, seeing as the rate of technology has replaced many trades with people who are unskilled.

It has nothing to do with Catholic beliefs.
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Last edited by The last sane person : 03-08-2007 at 02:22 PM.
The last sane person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #43
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

And I meant by it, Lotesse,

that JRR was describing as perfect a world with restricted technology, but left in the stuff he thought was handy, like clocks. You'd figure any culture with skilled clockmakers was capable of crossbows, let alone distilleries, but he gerrymandered his "historical" periods to get a really unfair level of 'quaint.'

I live in a place like that, I notice these things.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 03:52 PM   #44
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

you're saying JRRT wasn't perfect?!?! *gasp*

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:12 PM   #45
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

As The Creator,

he's perfect, by definition.

It's only my imperfect understanding that makes his ways mysterious to me.
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #46
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

I see

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:09 AM   #47
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisterandcousinandaunt
that JRR was describing as perfect a world with restricted technology, but left in the stuff he thought was handy, like clocks. You'd figure any culture with skilled clockmakers was capable of crossbows, let alone distilleries, but he gerrymandered his "historical" periods to get a really unfair level of 'quaint.'

I live in a place like that, I notice these things.
This is so true, Ture true true. I wonder if the Gondorians would've been inclined to a sort of northern Italian diet? I've always thought so. The elves, I have no idea what to think of these beings' food habits; we know not much of anything except that they were wont to creating fabulous "feasts" consisting of who knows what, and were masters at Miruvor and Lembas, both "magic", read: otherworldly types of sustenance. Those elves are bleedin' frustrating with their holier-than-thou secrecy about even such a mundane thing as food & drink, I mean come on. Fuggedaboutit.

Hobbit food is the best soul-food in LotR by far and away, beautiful hearty real comfort food that we can all relate to and instinctively get mouth-watery about. I'd love to live on Hobbit-food, for a while anyway, then I'd get culinarily bored and get a bug in my saddle to go wandering down south towards Gondor and eat all that Gondorian and Haradrim-inspired cuisine, oh, yeah....

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited by Lotesse : 03-09-2007 at 03:11 AM.
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:25 PM   #48
Kethavel
Sapling

Well met, my fellow sojourners. I am a complete newbie to this site and thread. Feel free to call me Keth. I found this site and tread because I was searching for medieval foods, LOTR foods, etc. I have been experimenting with lembas, and have enjoyed my results.

I am a Southerner. And I can see the Hobbits being the Southerners of Middle Earth. (I have not memorized the Middle Earth map, so forgive my ignorance if they really are in the South of Middle Earth...) I do think they would be those of comfort foods, yummy potato dishes (boil'em, smash'em, stick'em in a stew...), stews, and perhaps even fried foods. I think I would enjoy the Hobbit diet.

I am fascinated with Elves, secretly believing that I AM an Elven warrior princess. I don't believe they were the ultimate vegans, perhaps because I myself an not vegan, nor plan to become one. So, as I say this, I bring in my own bias and, perhaps self-creativity when it comes to the Elven diet. I do picture their diet as being mostly vegetarian: nuts, berries, grains, thus, breads, cakes (but not too sweet), etc. However, I do believe that since they are the Masters of the Bow and Arrow, I believe they would hunt small winged game mostly, and then, perhaps small mammals such as hares, squirrels, etc. I would even venture to say that now and then they might celebrate a special occasion (wedding, battle victory, coronation, funeral of a royal, etc.) with a deer, elk, etc.

I am looking for recipes. So if any of you have LOTR recipes or medieval recipes, please pass them a long!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:13 PM   #49
Noble Elf Lord
Leaf-Crowned Lord Of Elvenpath

Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
I was only half-kidding about the spider silk. They could harvest the silk from the webs they're always leaving all over the darn place. However, the elves wouldn't do it because they'd find everything to do with the spiders completely repulsive.
True. And since they are descendants of Shelob, their webs carry some dark force for sure (nothing like making one´s hands rotten when touched, but perhaps stinging and fingers going numb.) I´d pay alot to get my hands on Lorien Elven food, or Mirkwood deer.
Say, Keth, what language is that signature of yours?

Last edited by Noble Elf Lord : 05-25-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Noble Elf Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #50
Keith K
Elf Lord

I wonder if Merry introduced some Entish potions into his sauces? He may have picked up a recipe or two from Treebeard...
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #51
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith K
I wonder if Merry introduced some Entish potions into his sauces? He may have picked up a recipe or two from Treebeard...
Which may explain why there are no Hobbits today- they grew to normal size and started interbreeding with people who don't need to shave their toes.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #52
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by The last sane person
I would go bonkers with the significant lack of Kabobs and vodka.

I dunno if the elves or men of western middle earth had anything stronger than ale, wine or mead.
Not likely, but I like to think some enterprising hobbit living a hermits life on the edge of the Twilight Hills near the borders of the North Farthing discovered he could ferment taters.....

But then there's the Orc-drought.... maybe a red bull/tequila mix?
Old 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM   #53
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog
But then there's the Orc-drought.... maybe a red bull/tequila mix?

Double vodka + red bull is the recipe in my experience. Works wonders.

The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 PM   #54
Star
Hobbit

I don't know 'bout the rest of you but as being a hobbit, i would live off of farmer maggots crops and things i climb up to get, like apples and peaches. i enjoy home grown foods but I basicly eat whatever Rosie cooks and since i'm always busy with Merry and Pip or at the green dragon I don't have the time to grow my food XD
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 PM   #55
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Here are two tables I'd like to dine at more than those of any wizard, king, or Elven lord:

Beorn

-and-

Bombadil.

But what would you expect anyways from a mostly-vegetarian?
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 PM   #56
Star
Hobbit

I hear you, Jon S.!

Last edited by Star : 11-21-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote