Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-30-2002, 01:21 PM   #1
Mithrandir
Hobbit

Gandalf Narsil in TTT?

Ok, they never showed in the movie FOTR the sword Narsil being reforged into Andúril. Does anyone know or has anyone heard that they are going to show it in TTT? Like when Aragorn meets Éomer, will he then pull it out and announce that it has been reforged and here it is?
Old 01-30-2002, 03:10 PM   #2
Lightice
Elven Warrior

He gets it, when he leaves to the Paths of the Dead. It's brought by either Halbard or Arwen, or perhaps both. That isn't yet known, but it is known, that that is the time when he gets it.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 03:25 PM   #3
Mithrandir
Hobbit

Gandalf

Oh, so its completely different from the original version in the book, when he already has Anduril in Chapter 2, The Riders of Rohan.

Come on PJ, stick to the story
Old 02-01-2002, 01:40 AM   #4
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

well it is completely different. aragorn always kept narsil with him refer to chapter 10 book I (strider). narsil is reforged as anduril at rivendell and he takes it with him. in the movie narsil resides at rivendell and remains there, probably until arwen brings it to him in TT. i bet there will be no halbarad, no eladan and elrohir, no roheryn and possibly no standard (that's my guess).

i think there was already a thread on this...
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 04:17 PM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

But wasn't the sword which Aragorn puts his hand on when Boromir picks up the Ring on the shoulders of Caradhras actually Narsil? Hilts looked the same. And if they have Arwen travel down to Rohan to bring Aragorn the reforged Anduril I am gonna HURL!!!! If they do have her bring it down, then what's to stop them from having her accompany him on his trek through the Paths of the Dead, and what's to stop them having her at the helm of one of the ships of the Corsairs sailing up the Anduin at the climax of the Battle of Pelennor Fields?

And beyond that, what's to stop them from having her accompany the army to the Morannon, and making smart-arsed comments to the Mouth of Sauron?

No, no, no, please no more Arwen than we already got and what Tolkien wrote, Mr. Jackson!!!! No more tampering with the story!!!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2002, 04:26 PM   #6
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

One must admit having her and eowyn wrestling in a pit of jello for aragorn's heart would be interesting

Old 02-03-2002, 02:17 AM   #7
Sakata
Elven Warrior

LOL LOL!!! Thats Hilarious markedel ! but seriously, no more book butchring for now...mental picture of of arwen shouting "bring it on mortal $%#$" the eowyn saying "hey i'm the nazgul slayer here!" "Your a sleezy cross-dresser" with all the armys of Rohan chanting cat-fight, cat-fight...

-Dare you venture into Gollum's Lair?

JESUS LIVES!
Sakata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 10:00 AM   #8
Hapira_Brandybuck
Enting

In one of the behnd the scenes things, they had th swordsmith guy( what was his name?) holding up Aragorn's sowrd and he says "this is the sword Aragorn has before he gets Narsil" so he does get it.... just dunno when

'My dear Frodo!' exclaimed Gandalf. 'Hobbits really are amazing creatures, as I have said before. You can learn all that there is to know about their ways in a month, and yet after a hundred years they can still surprise you at a pinch.
Hapira_Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2002, 12:13 PM   #9
Starbreeze
Sapling

It would be good to see more of Narsil though.
~~ Plum coloured pixie of death ~~
Starbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:10 AM   #10
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

well if aragorn DOES have narsil after they leave rivendell, why the HELL don't they bother to mention that?!?!?!? a little "hey elrond, ya reckon you could fix me knife?" wouldn't go astray, would it????

if i hadn't read the books i wouldn't have had a CLUE what was going on in the movie and i pity the poor sods who have seen this movie without having any clue of the plot line. *sigh*
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:41 AM   #11
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I don't think that it would have taken much time at all for jsut one or two lines about getting it reforged. Even if Aragorn just told Arwen that was something that he wanted to happen. They spent a good bit of time on Narcil. They did a good job with the shards being in Rivendel instead of with Aragorn, but I see no reason why it couldn't have been reforged the way it was in the book.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 09:45 AM   #12
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Just as an aside, would people stop quoting the completely innaccurate 'factoid' that Aragorn ALWAYS carried Narsil around with him?

He didn't. He just did SOMETIMES.

He did during LotR, but this is not 'all of the time', Tolkien has explicitly said he didn't always carry it around.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:46 AM   #13
Lightice
Elven Warrior

There's propably some reason for it, but we don't yet know, what it is. Perhaps it's a reason to get Arwen shown again...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 02:03 AM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

At the Brentano's event this weekend, PJ confirmed that Narsil will be reforged into Anduril at the beginning of ROTK.

If there's any problem with this other than the fact that it's different from the novel, could somebody please point it out?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2002, 04:06 AM   #15
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
And if they have Arwen travel down to Rohan to bring Aragorn the reforged Anduril I am gonna HURL!!!!
You really don't want Arwen in this movie do you!!! No one seems to!!! It's funny!!

Quote:
If they do have her bring it down, then what's to stop them from having her accompany him on his trek through the Paths of the Dead, and what's to stop them having her at the helm of one of the ships of the Corsairs sailing up the Anduin at the climax of the Battle of Pelennor Fields?
If this happens I will cry!!! I'll threaten to walk out on the movie!!! I won't but I can threaten to!!!

Quote:
No, no, no, please no more Arwen than we already got and what Tolkien wrote, Mr. Jackson!!!! No more tampering with the story!!!
Hear, hear!!!
Old 02-23-2002, 04:54 AM   #16
coolismo
Enting

Narsil will be reforged as the opening scene of ROTK since PJ thinks

1. It makes sense to have the reforging as a preface scene to ROTK rather like the one ring preface to FOTR. I wouldn't be surprised if the reforging happens after a reprise of the one ring preface.

2. Aragorn would look silly whipping out a broken sword and the audience would just have giggled. So why not just delay the whole reforging to make a continuity link to the return of the heir of Isildur.

It's another compromise with the book but heck. Aragorn is not ready to be king apparently in the film anyway.
coolismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 01:55 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Drat, I LIKED narsil/anduril!! If they going to do it in the third film, they have to skip all those references to it during the Two Towers. It would be a mayor let-down. Just hope it doesn't happen... I WANT to see that movie!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2002, 08:17 PM   #18
Twilight
Elven Warrior

I wish that they could have gotten it to him earlyer. I guess it will be okay giving it at the begining of Return of the King. That would make a really good begining to the movie if they do it right.
Twilight is offline   Reply With Quote