Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
carlrodd
Sapling

the waters of cuivienen

this portion of tolkien's history is quite possibly my favorite; i suppose since so little is known of it, but it was presumably a long period of time that the elves resided here. i have been reading through 'the shaping of middle earth', and i still cannot place where the inland sea of helcar would have been. i understand that the surface and shape of the world was altered numerous times after the elves awoke, but even tolkien's diagrams seem to conflict. it appears to have occupied a large area just over the blue mountains originally, which would seem to have placed it in the better known NW middle earth of the third age. any ideas, insight? i am also intrigued by how perhaps an oblique reference is made to perhaps the elves longing for their place of awakening, when tolkien says, 'to cuivienen there is no returning'. that statement automatically makes it a place i want to go to.
carlrodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
jammi567
I'm Eru, and lord of Arda.

try looking here: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.asp Go to 'C', and then it's near the bottom of the last column.
Vote for me, Jammi567, in the 2008 Entmoot elections, and you will get many of the things we need: free, unbiased, newspapers; a strong alliance with many countries, so that war doesn't start over someone breaking their nose on a doorframe; etc, etc

This forum is lonely. It's new and confused, and doesn't have many friends yet. Help today by joining for free, posting, and posting this message and link in your sig. So please, join and help make it feel welcomed and loved.

Last edited by jammi567 : 02-13-2007 at 05:08 PM.
jammi567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:29 PM   #3
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Isn't this pic wonderful?

http://www.cuivienen.org/images/sil-cuivienen.jpg
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Olmer
Elf Lord

Ted Nasmith is a wonderful artist.
All his paintings are so detailed, taking a broader view of vicinities.
Here is another version of the lake.
Lake Cuivienen
Olmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 AM   #5
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Gimli

Not trying to bust your bubble, but the link Jon S put on there looks to me like a pack of confused ancient Egyptians picked up and set down in the Great Lakes. I do agree that his sky is beautifully done and he is a very capable artist, and I do grant that different people percieve things in their imaginations differently, but his subject materiel is odd. I do not know how much physical description is givven in the books, so I may not be a fair judge. (<:What book is that in anyway?:>) Do they ever mention Gimli again at the end of the 3rd book? Do all the hobbits die? Don't answer the second question, but I think Pippin already has. He doesn't make it completely clear though, he doesn't just come out and say like the boring history teachers at school that I sleep through (not really, but once) Peregrin Took died at the battle of forgot... the one at Sauron's gate. (EXcept the teachers know the name of the battle because they have the book sitting in front of them.)
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by elven dragonrider
Not trying to bust your bubble, but the link Jon S put on there looks to me like a pack of confused ancient Egyptians picked up and set down in the Great Lakes.
Not to worry, my bubbles are not easily burst.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote