Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

The Therapy Thread

I need one of my own. Where to go if you're in need of a psychoanylist and don't know any real ones.

I'll start...

Now, as many of you know, I don't get offended easily. In fact, I don't get offended by things said about me much at all... For example:
Kid: You are a stupid moron son of a motherless goat!
Me: Ok... *grins knowingly*
On the other hand, I get really defensive on things that shouldn't bug me, even hostile. For example:
Example 1:
Person A: So, you like science?
Me *secretly annoyed yet well controlled*: Physics, actually.

Example 2:
Person B: I am the aviator. I shall destroy!
Me: Burn eternally in a microwave oven!

Example 3:
My Dad: So, does jet lag have something to do with time dilation?
Me *secretly in a rage*: No! Why would you say something like that!?

Please note that these are real examples, though the characters depicted in them may be fictional.

Now, I can't understand why anyone would get upset for referring to Physics as "science in general", but I do. And it really gets under my skin when people try to ask me a bunch of nonsensical, dumb questions that nobody could answer just to prove that I don't know everything when I willingly would admit that I don't. I especially hate it when I'm talking about physics and some gangstuh kid asks "Where do babies come from?" That question makes me want to douse them in kerosene and set them on fire. It's also very annoying when people say, "So, you like classical music?", to which I think "Yeah, and you should too." (I usually reply: yes.)

Any ideas why things that shouldn't even phase me get under my skin so easily while outright insults (like the kid who called me a Nazi, as well as the rest who say I'm racist....oh well, even if I was at least I wasn't a useless, mindnumb hedonistic clod like those who say that about me) amuse me at their futile attempts to get me angry via insult?

EDIT: I think part of the problem is that I don't tolerate ignorance from people who think that they're cool enough to be ignorant. It bugs me that people would rather spraypaint a building than write a book, etcetera.

Last edited by trolls' bane : 09-15-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 07:53 PM   #2
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

First of all I have to say it's NOT a smart thing to ask people who don't know a thing about psychoanalysis to be psychoanalysts. Ask people for advice, yes, but don't make them try to be something they're definitely not. People at messageboards are not doctors, psychiatrists or psychoanalysists and it's for the best not to tempt them to try to be

Having that said, I'm going to take on the role as your personal shrink

You get annoyed easily and at the smallest thing. Diagnosis: You're having your period!
Well seriously, the fact that you're a teenager (probably with hormone levels way above or below the normal for an adult) most likely plays a big role. If you want an explanation for your behaviour, maybe you don't have to go into psychoanalysis just yet

It's exhausting to be angry and annoyed all the time at unimportant things. Hopefully by realising that, one can try to get a little less annoyed each time.

If I have offended you in any way, I apologize. It wasn't my intent
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

*grins slyly* No, you have not offended me in any way. ( )

No, just kidding.

Well, this was partly for entertainment purposes.

Perhaps...But that doesn't explain why the rest of the time I'm...er...warm and calculating. There are some things that don't make sense.
[Bob Wiley]Doctor Jonathan, you can help me. Doctor Mallerstien or Miller, or Phil couldn't help me, or Doctors Reginald or Sheaffer...or Snell.[/Bob Wiley]
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

This is a potentialy dangerous topic thread, which could lead to harm.

Banter and general talk about problems, fits into the Tea Cup Cafe.

The Moot takes no responsibility nor advocates any therapy for a mental condition.

**padlocked**
Closed Thread