Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-10-2002, 12:12 AM   #1
BurningHammer
Hobbit

Nazgul Barrow Writhes

Simple question..what the hack are they?
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
BurningHammer
Hobbit

err barrow downs i mean
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:56 AM   #3
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Goto the search function and type in Barrow Wights you should come up with a number of threads concerning them. They will probably answer your question.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 03:34 AM   #4
Varda-Me
Hobbit

Actually, I've wondered the same thing. Dead people/royalty, I guess. I think of the modern archaological sites they've uncovered in the bogs of England/Britain, and that seems to me to be the equivalent, so to speak. But what, then, was the difference between the Barrows and the Paths of the Dead?
Varda-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

You might check out this ( http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...=barrow+wights ) thread. It will help ya alot.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 11:11 AM   #6
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Varda-Me
Actually, I've wondered the same thing. Dead people/royalty, I guess. I think of the modern archaological sites they've uncovered in the bogs of England/Britain, and that seems to me to be the equivalent, so to speak. But what, then, was the difference between the Barrows and the Paths of the Dead?
Barrow wights weren't ghosts of kings lying in those tombs. They were malicious spirits sent from land of Angmar, by the Witch King.
Their true nature is unknown, though they seemed to partially adapt personality and memories of the resident of the tomb.
They might had been the most less of maiar, though I doubt it.
I guess, that it remains as eternal enigma.

Spirits of the Paths of the Dead were actually spirits of dead men of Dunharrow, cursed to remain in Middle Earth until broken oath would be repaired.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2002, 12:58 PM   #7
ArwenEvenstar
Elf Lord

Arwen Undomiel What little I know I will share;)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lightice
Barrow wights weren't ghosts of kings lying in those tombs. They were malicious spirits sent from land of Angmar, by the Witch King.
They were so kings... Or at least I think they are...............

Ok there were petty kings and kings in the realm of Earnor, they fought alot and died... Amon Sul(weather top) was one of the things they fought over. When they were all dead (this I think was b4 the Witch king) they were put in barrows. Later on when the witch king came about he brought them to the Wight state using dark arts, and when he got knocked out of Angmar the Barrow Wights stayed "alive".

This is just my messed up version of the Barrow wight theory. This is out of FOTR, the Sil, and Unfinished Tales.

Tom Bombadil is pretty freakin powerful because he knocked off a wight or two

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar : 02-10-2002 at 01:00 PM.
ArwenEvenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 PM   #8
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

ArwenEvenstar, Lightice, you are both right. The following info comes to you strait out of the Tolkien Companion. (my new best friend! )
The Barrow-downs lie east of the Shire. This is where early men buried the noble among their men. Later, princes Arthedain and Cardolan also buried their own royal dead there. But the Barrow-wights themselves are undead spirits out of faraway Angmar who can enter the mounds and annimate the long dead corpses.

Ick!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote