FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-02-2006, 03:15 PM   #521
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

They have been "smote"
Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #522
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

I blame the ghost of Darwin ... the repeater' revolvin' evolvin' science spirit ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:29 PM   #523
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Yea!! Common sense prevails!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:56 AM   #524
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Good news. Coupla questions: Who elects the school board? Why elect a school board?
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 PM   #525
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Well the people of the state/community elect the school board. Supposedly it allows parents to have a voice about how to run their local schools although usually it simply allows nosey busy bodies with lots of time on their hands to decide for themselves what everyone elses kids should be learning in school. School boards in this country are notorious for being either corrupt, inept, backward and/or a magnet for the religious nazis in the community.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #526
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It seems like the sort of thing that is a nice idea on paper but in practice gets co-opted by unrepresentative groups. Shame, I suppose, but I also think it's weird. Why not let the experts (teachers) work out how best to deliver education?

Too much "democracy" can be a bad thing.

Last edited by The Gaffer : 08-03-2006 at 04:08 PM.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #527
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Yep. That's why for instance the central banks in many big economies are independent. Otherwise politicians might be tempted to boost the economy prior to an election, with long-term negative effects as a consequence. Sometimes professionals are better than politicians at pulling the strings.

I know, off-topic
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:48 AM   #528
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

In practise it usually works out reasonably well, until some single-interest group like the Creationists decide to organize a take-over.

Same thing happened in Canada under the old abortion laws. Hospitals used to have committees that would judge whether a woman should be allowed an abortion; obviously standards varied.

Hospitals also had their governing boards which were generally composed of people actually concerned with the overall running of the hospital.

Then the anti-abortionists started trying to dominate the hospital boards, running on the single issue of abortion committeees, bringing in huge numbers of new voters who were not particularly interested in the regular functioning of the hospital.

Fortunately the Supreme Court put an end to that with it's decision in the Morgenthaler case.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 03:50 AM   #529
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Geeze, and I thought the stork did it all.