Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-13-2002, 01:15 AM   #1
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

other me books

i have read lord of the rings, the hobbit and the silmarillion. are there any other tolkien books worth reading? i have heard of the book of lost tales 1 &2, the treason of isengard and some book to do with shadows. do these books contain material not found in the previous four i have read? will i learn anything new that wasnt covered in the sil, hobbit and lotr?

thanks in advance for the help
Old 02-13-2002, 01:26 AM   #2
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I've never read the books of lost tales...those are next on my list...but I highly reccomend the Unfinished Tales! It's a book that tells lots of new stories while elaborating on old themes from the Silm. such as Turin Turambar. It's a really great book! Read it!
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:04 AM   #3
sepulchrave
Enting

the other books consist mainly of background material, fragments and earlier versions,(some of which are very different than the ones we are all accustomed to) but here's the list:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
-The Fellowship of the Ring
-The Two Towers
-The Return of the King

The Silmarillion
Unfinished Tales
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil

The History of Middle Earth Series
-Vol.1-The Book of Lost Tales, Part 1
-Vol.2-The Book of Lost Tales, Part 2
-Vol.3-The Lays of Beleriand
-Vol.4-The Shaping of Middle-Earth: The Quenta, The Ambarkanta and the Annals
-Vol.5-The Lost Road and Other Writings
-Vol.6-The Return of the Shadow: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part One
-Vol.7-The Treason of Isengard: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part Two
-Vol.8-The War of the Ring: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part Three
-Vol.9-Sauron Defeated: The History of the Lord of the Rings, Part Four
-Vol.10-Morgoth's Ring: The Later Silmarillion, Part One : The Legends of Aman
-Vol.11-The War of the Jewels: The Later Silmarillion : Part Two : The Legends of Beleriand
-Vol.12-The Peoples of Middle-Earth

The Pictures of JRR Tolkien
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 02:10 AM   #4
sepulchrave
Enting

In addition to the above mentioned titles, The Letters of JRR Tolkien has a great deal of interesting material relating to the Lord of the Rings
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2002, 11:40 AM   #5
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Yup, there is the whole HoME series to get through, but I found it to be not very entertaining and really a dry read, from the little bit I have seen. It IS interesting to read some early versions of LotR, where Frodo is called Bingo [or was it Frodo?], but I really didn't find HoME all that entertaining. Interesting, but not riveting or alluring. Must be some sort of EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO mind block.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote