Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #1
FoolofaTook11
Sapling

Tom Bombadil Lucas ripped off Tolkien!!!

Ever notice how closely related LOTR and Star wars are? Besides the fact that the hero lived with an uncle, there is a good guy currupted by a bad guy, and an evil emporer, doesn't Obi-Wann seem a bit tooo much like Gandalf?

I luv Orlando Bloom!
FoolofaTook11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:44 PM   #2
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I think this subject has been covered in another thread, hasn't it? BTW, welcome to the Moot, FoolofaTook11!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2002, 09:53 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Lucas ripped off Tolkien!!!

Check out my website! It has the same name as you! http://www.foolofatook.com
Quote:
Originally posted by FoolofaTook11
Ever notice how closely related LOTR and Star wars are? Besides the fact that the hero lived with an uncle, there is a good guy currupted by a bad guy, and an evil emporer, doesn't Obi-Wann seem a bit tooo much like Gandalf?
I am sure that Lucas did take inspiration from Tolkien... LotR is a good story, why not take stuff from it?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 07:40 AM   #4
Lightice
Elven Warrior

There's also a lot of common things in LotR (+Silmarillion) and Babylon 5. Some of them can be seen at http://www-theory.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~aaa/B5.Ref.html and others can be easily noticed otherwice.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
barrelrider110
Peer of the realm of Sanguine

FoolofaTook,
Welcome to Entmoot. Try not to be too hasty.

There is no doubt that Lucas “borrowed” much of his material for Star Wars from Lord of the Rings, but JRRT also borrowed copiously from other sources. For instance, much of the Gandalf character is taken from the wizard Merlin of Arthurian legends; Trolls and goblins are common in old Scandanavian lore; and the concept of Dwarves is a direct "rip-off" from a familiar story by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm. Consider this passage from the 1857 version of “Little Snow White”:

Quote:
When it was quite dark the owners of the cottage came back.They were seven dwarfs who dug and delved in the mountains for ore.
And how many rings for the Dwarf kings in their halls of stone?

Hmm…

Fear Complacency!

Last edited by barrelrider110 : 02-08-2002 at 09:37 AM.
barrelrider110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 10:45 AM   #6
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Good thing Disney didn't get the rights to the movie. Or else we would have:

"I am Hippie, son of Happy"
"I am Snoozy, Son of Sleepy"
"I am Grimli, son of Grumpy"
"I am Dimli, son of Dopey"

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 02-08-2002 at 10:58 AM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 04:10 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Actually Barrelrider10, the inspiration for Gandalf came from a Drawing on a postcard that Tolkien had, though it would be fair to say that a few elements from Merlin inspired the concept of Gandalf. There is a thread in the Star Wars forum about Tolkien and Lucas.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 03:29 AM   #8
Varda
Elven Warrior

I just think that as a general rule, movies/books are going to influence each other. it's similar to the debate some people have had over harry potter and whether it was a ripoff from tolkien. i havent really read harry potter, and i'm not an avid star wars fan like some people... but it just seems that if we have a common culture (western culture in general) there will be spillover between stories... just like in this thread, many people have said what i've said before. now that's not to say that people should be copycats, cause every story is unique... but.. just it should be expected that there will be commonalities....

oh and of course, welcome to the board FoolOfaTook11! (though i havent been around much in the last month or so due to school and other life issues )
Old 02-09-2002, 07:05 PM   #9
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

Welcome, FoolofaTook!

I think many fantasy stories have elements from Tolkien. It's the original fairy/fantasy book for everyone, so inevitably parts of it end up in other books.

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote