Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-08-2005, 06:35 AM   #21
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Okay thanks Gor. I don't think any of the Nazgûl apart from the Witch-King were at the Pelennor. At the end of TTT I think it was Shagrat who said 'The High Nazgûl has gone to War' making no mention of the others going. Also one of the Nazgûl was put in charge of Cirith Ungol so I'm guessing that they weren't at the Pelennor.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #22
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Oh, no, there were at least 6-7, I believe, flying overhead.
Quote:
The Nazgûl came again, and as their Dark Lord now grew and put forth his strength, so their voices, which uttered only his will and his malice, were filled with evil and horror. Ever they circled above the City, like vultures that expect their fill of doomed men’s flesh. Out of sight and shot they flew, and yet were ever present, and their deadly voices rent the air.
That was on the 14.03 I believe they were still there during the night.
As for the 15.03, The Lord of Morgul was slain shortly after sunrise.

There was a line in LOTR draft, not erased, but simply missed, when it was copied on a typewriter. "After the WK was brought down, the nazgul flew back to Mordor in fear and dismay". Sorry, I can't check the quote, I rely only on memory.

And then Frodo and Sam, saw one nazgul just after they escapd Cirith Ungol tower, in the early hours of 15.03. Then at the first light, they felt another flying high overhead:
Quote:
They started off again. They had not gone far when Frodo paused. ‘There’s a Black Rider over us,’ he said. ‘I can feel it. We had better keep still for a while.’
And then they saw the third, bearing news of the Witch-King's fall:
Quote:
As Frodo and Sam stood and gazed, the rim of light spread all along the line of the Ephel Dúath, and then they saw a shape, moving at a great speed out of the West, at first only a black speck against the glimmering strip above the mountain-tops, but growing, until it plunged like a bolt into the dark canopy and passed high above them. As it went it sent out a long shrill cry, the voice of a Nazgûl; but this cry no longer held any terror for them: it was a cry of woe and dismay, ill tidings for the Dark Tower. The Lord of the Ring-wraiths had met his doom.
So, the nazgul were used to frighten the enemies, when flying overhead and screeching, as well as for bearing news to Sauron and his orders back.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 04:50 PM   #23
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Okay, thanks for the info Gor. Where did you find out about the missed line.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #24
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Okay, thanks for the info Gor. Where did you find out about the missed line.
In HOME of course. It must be in "The War of the Ring", I believe, but I have no books with me to check.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:35 PM   #25
The Witch-King of Angmar
Elven Warrior

In the movies they all attack Minas Tirith, i didn't like that, it wasn't realistic.

I'm an Xbox Guy!
Xbox Guys
The Witch-King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #26
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

BUMP - needed for reference
Old 05-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #27
CAB
Elven Warrior

Thank you for bumping this thread Gordis. Although I think that there are some problems with Olmer’s theory, it is very interesting and well thought out. After rereading this thread, I began to wonder about something. Could Gildor’s actions/inactions be explained by his having recognized the Nazgul’s “show” for what it really was (at least according to this theory)? I had always considered his not helping Frodo something of a “crime of apathy”. However, if he knew that the Nazgul wouldn’t really attempt to capture Frodo, maybe he could be excused. Also, if he believed that Gandalf was purposely keeping his distance (I don’t think Gildor could have known about Gandalf’s capture by Saruman) maybe he thought that he should also.
CAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:05 AM   #28
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
Thank you for bumping this thread Gordis. Although I think that there are some problems with Olmer’s theory, it is very interesting and well thought out.
I think the only problem is that he gives two possible explanations to the strange nazgul behaviour, one of wich I can't buy at all. I will never believe they acted on Sauron's orders, driving the Ring to Rivendell. Neither do I agree with his AU interpretation of the One Ring.

Quote:
After rereading this thread, I began to wonder about something. Could Gildor’s actions/inactions be explained by his having recognized the Nazgul’s “show” for what it really was (at least according to this theory)? I had always considered his not helping Frodo something of a “crime of apathy”. However, if he knew that the Nazgul wouldn’t really attempt to capture Frodo, maybe he could be excused. Also, if he believed that Gandalf was purposely keeping his distance (I don’t think Gildor could have known about Gandalf’s capture by Saruman) maybe he thought that he should also.
Very interesting. I was also shocked by Gildor's behaviour even the first time I read LoTR. But I kept thinking that he gave no help because he was such a *** like most Elves .

But maybe you are right and there is more to it.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:13 PM   #29
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis
Neither do I agree with his AU interpretation of the One Ring.
Umm...I hate to admit this, but I don't know what an AU interpretation is.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:45 PM   #30
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

AU stands for 'Alternative Universe" and means a serious deviation from Tolkien Canon.

Olmer, if I understand rightly (sorry if I don't, Olmer ), thinks that the One Ring is just a device to suck power from its current possessor and transmit it to Sauron. So Sauron never meant to keep it himself, instead he was interested to give it to the most powerful being possible: to Galadriel, Elrond or Gandalf, or even to the Barlog - to suck them dry of their power.
Of course it is very uncanonic. I never agreed with it, it just changes too much in the Tolkien world.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #31
CAB
Elven Warrior

Quote:
AU stands for 'Alternative Universe" and means a serious deviation from Tolkien Canon.
I see. Thank you for the explanation.

Quote:
Olmer, if I understand rightly (sorry if I don't, Olmer ), thinks that the One Ring is just a device to suck power from its current possessor and transmit it to Sauron. So Sauron never meant to keep it himself, instead he was interested to give it to the most powerful being possible: to Galadriel, Elrond or Gandalf, or even to the Barlog - to suck them dry of their power.
Of course it is very uncanonic. I never agreed with it, it just changes too much in the Tolkien world.
I have seen Olmer’s opinion, on this thread and others, that Sauron wanted the Ring to be claimed by his powerful opponents. I thought the reason why was so they would be corrupted or made his servants or allies. I guess this makes more sense, in a way. Without having seen the whole argument, I would have to disagree with this theory. But if it is coming from Olmer, then I am sure that there is plenty of evidence supporting it.

Last edited by CAB : 05-21-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:48 PM   #32
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
No it doesn't, it stands for "Anglican Use". Gosh, people!

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #33
TreebeardQuickbeam
Sapling

Why?

Wouldn't it make sense for Sauron to search for the ring himself instead of sending any of his servants?
TreebeardQuickbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:50 PM   #34
Gordis
Lady of the Ulairi

Welcome to the Moot!

Quote:
Wouldn't it make sense for Sauron to search for the ring himself instead of sending any of his servants?
Do you think he would have done better than his nazgul?

A really smart thing to do would be to send some black Numenoreans disguised as rangers AND a couple nazgul to keep them in line.