Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2001, 02:43 PM   #1
blackrider
Sapling

are there any books like LOTR?

i mean in similar setup (middleerth) or storyline? Preferably written like Tolkien as well.

I have read the Shannara series, but are there ANY OTHER books like lord of the rings?

Thanks,
Mark.
blackrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:18 AM   #2
Ben
Retired Ent

Yeah the Shannara series is good, even if it is a ripoff of LotR (at least it's a well-written and enjoyable ripoff ).

I would recommend the Riftwar saga by Raymond E. Feist, beginning with Magician: Apprentice. It is similar to LotR, but original enough to be interesting.

formerly known in the forums as bmilder

Owner of The Tolkien Trail and Entmoot.

Buy Entmoot shirts and mugs!
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2001, 01:47 PM   #3
galadriel
Elven Warrior

My brother is reading Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan... I borrowed it but only got up to the prologue. It's weird, but cool, and from what I hear it's got the whole fantastical epic journey thing going on.

I can't think of any other series that can really compare with Tolkien's work. A lot of the fantasy that I've read are kiddie books, like the Narnia books, and The Book of Three etc by Lloyd Alexander. While they are both really cool series, especially Narnia, you can't really compare them to Tolkien.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2001, 08:51 PM   #4
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

There are plenty of books like Lord of the Rings in style but none come near the quality, unfortunately

Have you read the sillmarilion. Id say tolkien did equally well of a job on it. The first part is tedious but after a few chapters gets really good. Im sure you would like them. Make sure you keep track of the Charecters though.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.

Last edited by CardenIAntauraNauco : 12-26-2001 at 08:54 PM.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 10:46 PM   #5
Mark of Cenla
Elven Warrior

After I read The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings five times, I read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. Then I started a series by David Eddings called The Belariad. Then I read another series called The Malloreon. I like Eddings very much, not as well as I like Tolkien, but he is not going to write any more books. I also read the Thomas Covenant books a long time ago and plan to read them again. Happy reading.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:07 PM   #6
Lis Kester
Sapling

George R.R. Martin's fantasy series is very good also. Very realistic and in depth.
Lis Kester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 02:42 AM   #7
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Another good series is C.J. Cherryh's Morgaine series: Gate of Ivrel,Well of Shuan, Fires of Azeroth, and Exile's Gate. Cherryh is an excellent writer and her books are exciting, fast moving, and have great character development.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 09:08 AM   #8
Gimly
Enting

Trere is a russian author, Nick Perumov, who continued is some of his books (then he started another serie) the LOTR. Lots of Russian Tolkien fans flamed him, there even was a murder (!) attempt. I didn't read it, so I have nothing to say, but some say it's pretty good.
Unfortunately, I don't think it was translated to English, so you can't read it.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:48 AM   #9
sepulchrave
Enting

Mervyn Peake: Titus Groan
Gormenghast
Titus Alone
George MacDonald: Phantastes
Lilith
John Crowley: Little,Big
C.S. Lewis: Out of the Silent Planet
Perelandra, or Voyage to Venus
That Hideous Strength
Robert Holdstock: Mythago Wood
Lavondyss
The Bone Forest
Charles deLint: Moonheart
Spiritwalk
sepulchrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2002, 06:57 PM   #10
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Yeah, I've been looking for a book that's as well written as LotR. So far I've had no success. I'll check out the titles you guys have mentioned.

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 01:57 AM   #11
Araethirion
Hobbit

Location: Mirkwood! Ok, ok... California. What's the difference? Errr... nevermind.
The Seven Circles Trilogy is pretty much like it... wars, more gorey though, and also they don't talk medieval style so you can actually understand what the characters say

FRODO LIVES!!
Araethirion is offline   Reply With Quote