Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #61
littleadanel
of the House of Bëor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
Frodo was supposed to be blond, Boromir and Faramir were not supposed to be blond,
lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamuril Sirfalas
werent the wargs suppose to show up before the fellowship goes into Moria? isn't they supposed to be showing up in that part??? i thought so but mabye i am actually wrong which in my case happens often. lmao...but i thought the wargs would look more fierce but thats ok
yeah, they were supposed to be there... not with Aragorn in a let's-boost-up-the-adrenaline action scene. and they didn't match my imagination either...

But the actors were mostly all right. I mean, I decided to watch the movie after I saw piccys of them in magazines. Aragorn, Gandalf... the elves - almost perfectly... and the people of Rohan I especially love.

[off topic] in the case of HP it was quite the contrary... they are so extremely FAR from my mental images that I decided NOT to watch the movies, NOT to give them a chance of getting stuck in my head. [/off topic] ow! don' hit me! *runs into hiding*
Old 12-21-2005, 12:14 AM   #62
clep_web
Hobbit

The Rohirrim were most like my imagination, and Gandalf the Grey. I didn't like him after he turned white (but I suppose the screenplay is partly to blame too, what with giving all his best lines to other characters and giving him cheesy stuff)

Some time later and a few dead wolf packs...

"What did I tell you, Mr.Pippin?" said Sam, sheathing his sword. "Wolves won't get him. That was an eye-opener, and no doubt. Nearly singed the hair off my head!"
clep_web is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 12:35 AM   #63
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I loved, loved, loved Ian McKellan's Gandalf the Grey. I can think of no other actor or actor's portrayal/interpretation I would have accepted & loved as much as his Gandalf. He was the BOMB as Gandalf!! I think he was the most perfectly cast character in PJs movies.

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:15 AM   #64
-elfearz-
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
Well, it never uses the word "blond", but when Gandalf describes him to Barliman Butterbur he said Frodo is "fairer than most". Hobbits mostly have curly brown hair according to Tolkien, so I imagine Sam, Merry, and Pippin with a rich brown shade. Blond hair is rare, as we learn at the end of RotK when Elanor "the Fair" is born. Now, "fair" can mean simply "good-looking", but it can also mean blond or light-skinned. I thought "good-looking" was too subjective a term to really use in describing a friend to someone who's never seen him, so I figured that Gandalf was telling Barliman that Frodo had lighter hair than most hobbits--sandy blond or light brown. Of course many people will disagree with me, but this is why I've always pictured Frodo blond.
Interesting . When I first read that chapter, I thought when Gandalf said "fairer" he meant better looking...then later on I thought that it meant lighter skinned, when I read that bit in RotK where it says something about Sam laying his brown hand on Frodo's white brow. Never even considered that it might have referred to hair colour..though I guess it could

I agree, Lotesse - I loved Gandalf. And Aragorn (all that dialogue about being afraid aside) was perfect too, and I thought Sean Bean (blonde hair aside ) did a great job as Boromir. I never understand why, with things like hair colour, film-makers have to get it wrong when it would be so easy to get it right . Plus, Sean Bean and David Wenham both look better with darker hair, imo

Eowyn wasn't how I'd imagined her, but I loved her. I think she had more personality in the movie than in the book. Faramir was the exact opposite - I was really disappointed with the way they wrote his character. I had high hopes when I heard David Wenham was playing him too, coz I've seen him in many things and know what a fantastic actor he is...they just didn't give him a lot to work with.

I was disappointed with Theoden and Denethor, coz it was obvious that they're both really good actors, but I think the roles were written wrong. Denethor was more 2 dimensional than in the book, and I understand why they did this (lack of time etc), but Theoden seemed less warm and kindly, and I don't understand why they did that.

My first thought when I saw Gollum was that he looked like Dobby the House Elf. But I thought Andy Serkis was absolutely brilliant. I had pictured Gollum differently, but the movie version really won me over.
-elfearz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:08 PM   #65
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
I think the best Cast/characterised characters in the movies were:
1. Gandalf (Uberly Amazing Casting)
2. Aragorn (Same as above, he is just as I'd imagined)
3. Gollum (Perfect, Go Andy Sirkis)
4. Boromir (Sean Bean is probably one of my favourite actors)
5. Frodo
6. Sam
7. Saruman
8. Gimli
9. Theoden
10. Eomer
11. Elrond (even if I did keep saying "Mr Anderson" whenever I saw him on screen)

the worst Cast/characterised Characters in the Movies were:
1.Denathor (Iritating character, not as I'd pictured,)
2. Legolas

anyone that is not on the list I didn't see as perfect but I didn't dislike them either

I have nothing against John Noble (Denathor) or Orlando Bloom as Actors but I think they're character's were not as I imagined and were poorly written
Denathor for example I always pictured as a man who was powerful and well thought of but his dispair at loosing his son damaged him in the movie he was too selfish and unhinged.

But an actor can only act out the script he has been given to work with

Legolas well. . . don't get me started

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix

Last edited by King of The Istari : 01-02-2006 at 12:14 PM.
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 08:24 AM   #66
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

I disagree, I think that John Noble was well casted and did a very good job. By the timr we see him he already know's about Boromir. He is desperate and because of his use of the palantir he sees no hope of victory and despairs.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #67
King of The Istari
Elven Warrior

Location: Some where quite interesting with psychedelic trees
Gandalf

I jst thought Denathor was written way to unhinged, in the book he held himself together for a long time and wasn't considered insane by any of the characters, he only truly gives in to dispair when faramir is brought back.
but even when denathor is dispairing for the loss of his sons, pippin still wants to defend him and considers him worth difending

in the movie, he has dispaired to the point of insanity, and is considered so by both pippin and gandalf which is very different to what is written in the book

And what happened to the rest of your party, killed, eaten, gone home?
Beorn, The Hobbit

Dark and difficult Times lie ahead Harry, soon we must all face a choice, a choice between what is right and what is easy!
Dumbledore

Neo Are you listening to Me? Or are you too busy looking at the Woman in the Red Dress?
Morpheus, The Matrix
King of The Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM   #68
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Is burning yourself and your son not despair to the point of insanity. The film didn't have time to portray as much time as the book did, if you understand me. The book makes out that P & G were in Minas Tirith for about a week and half - two weeks. If the film had done that then it would have been an hour longer.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote