Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #81
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

psst....choco....ok, i thought as soon as i posted that, "hey, maybe choco was just playin along..." but then it was too late...sorry....

anyway, yes, i do think that harry was good, but, apologies, when they did the priori incantatum, he looked kinda silly, hunched over and all with his feet together and such, whereas Voldy looked hardcore, in the fighting stance and one hand and such....oh yea, he's cool...oh, and is he the same actor in PJ's latest flick, KK?
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.
----------------
Shanti, shanti, shantih...
durinsbane2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 PM   #82
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

oh, also, when ron's underwater, he looks like a caveman....just thrown that out there...
----------------
Old 11-28-2005, 10:07 PM   #83
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

I thought the Gillyweed effect was awesome. And I liked that Neville was the one who told Harry about it-- I always wish Neville was more prominent in the books. Then of course the line he says is great. "I've killed Harry Potter!"

Segovia Mazes
Elanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 10:20 PM   #84
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

yes, that made me laugh...OH MY GOD! I'VE KILLED HARRY POTTER! in a foolish, british accent...hehe...yes, that was good...i also liked how he never shut up, "well, there is some debate among herbologists about the different effects of saltwater and freshwater..."
----------------
Old 11-30-2005, 01:37 PM   #85
emily leonard
Enting

harry potter

i saw it last night and i waz not happy:
why was barty croch at the riddel house ?
harry sould have woken up at the durslys and been colected by fred and gorge as then we find out about there joke shop and we see what sort of stuff they are aming to do.
the quidich world cup was completly messed up there was ment to be a wood where everbody runs to and mugles for the deatheaters to mess with. and barty crouch jr had to have an invisiblility cloke to hide under in the top box. which they diddent go into hence no winki so there is no s.p.e.u.w and that is esentual to the 5 book as they shoud treet kreacher well so he wouldent go to the malfoyes.
and the other schools do get to hogwarts untill the halloween feast not at the start of term.
i could wright a book on everything that was wrong with it but what got 2 me the most was
: moody being made out as being stupid
: everything being missed out and then they added stuff in where it wasent needed e.g the dragon on the roof thing.
: and they left everything unfinished that realy got to me .
emily leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #86
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

s.p.e.u.w.? What's that, the Society for Protection of Elvish Under Wear?
Sure, all that could have been done, if they wanted to make a movie 5 hours.long...
Trust me, they considered all these things, and they did the best they could.

Segovia Mazes

Last edited by Elanor : 12-01-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:47 PM   #87
The Witch-King of Angmar
Elven Warrior

I agree they left alot out, but i think they if they had to leave out sub-plots, at least they focussed on the Voldemort plot.

I liked it better than the 3rd movie. They really screwed that up.

I'm an Xbox Guy!
Xbox Guys
The Witch-King of Angmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 10:39 PM   #88
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Yeah, at least they didn't add in stupid stuff like shrunken heads...

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-02-2005, 04:06 PM   #89
jellyfishannah
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor
Yeah, at least they didn't add in stupid stuff like shrunken heads...
No kidding!

I went to see Goblet of Fire just the other night. I was very relieved, actually. There were some disappointing things as always but it was much much better than the last one. The 3rd one was almost embarrassing.

It made sense to leave out the s.p.e.w. thing even though leaving anything out makes me sad. Some things in the 4th still bothered me:

1.)They hardly gave Fred and George any of the witty lines that they have in the books. And what about their jokeshop? Ron is supposed to be funny, too but they just make him whiney.

2.) I don't really see why they made Beauxbaton be an all-girls school and Durmstrang an all-boys.

3.)Why didn't they know they were going to the Quidditch Cup? Of course they would know it's coming up!

4.) Ron's brothers were not at the Tournament. Bill was supposed to meet Fleur. Are they going to take that whole thing out?

On the whole, the movies are disappointing but it's still fun to watch them. I just wish...I don't know. The books are just so complex and perfect with amazing characters and character development. It's probably impossible for it all to make it on film unscathed.

"Don't tell lies you can't keep." ~My little sister...

Last edited by jellyfishannah : 12-02-2005 at 04:07 PM.
jellyfishannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 04:39 PM   #90
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Well, it seems, artistic license has struck again. Fortunately I have to wait for it to come out on dvd and even then, I ususally can treat film and book as separate entities, each with their own virtues.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:55 PM   #91
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyfishannah
1.)They hardly gave Fred and George any of the witty lines that they have in the books. And what about their jokeshop? Ron is supposed to be funny, too but they just make him whiney.

2.) I don't really see why they made Beauxbaton be an all-girls school and Durmstrang an all-boys.

3.)Why didn't they know they were going to the Quidditch Cup? Of course they would know it's coming up!

4.) Ron's brothers were not at the Tournament. Bill was supposed to meet Fleur. Are they going to take that whole thing out?

On the whole, the movies are disappointing but it's still fun to watch them. I just wish...I don't know. The books are just so complex and perfect with amazing characters and character development. It's probably impossible for it all to make it on film unscathed.
beuxbaton was an all girls school, IIRC, and i think they were playing to the russian-esque military-esque thing with durmstrang, and i think when they said, "where're we going", they meant literally where they were headed then, not long term, as they were climbing a hill in the wilderness...
----------------
Old 12-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #92
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

Durmstrang might have been all boys, but the book mentions boys from Beauxbatons; one of them asks Parvati to dance, I think.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-06-2005, 07:52 PM   #93
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

I thought the movie was ok, but the omission of so much and the exaggeration of other bits left me deeply dissatisfied. Typically, however, I really liked the special effects. Fred & George were terrific. Anyway, most of the things I was disappointed about have already been discussed so I don't think I'll go into detail about those, except this. Am I the only one who found Voldemort unscary? Sure, he looked a bit freaky but he nonetheless seemed too much like an ordinary wizard (especially with that voice!) to invoke any sense of fear. He did not project the aura befitting a Dark Lord. I almost laughed at him. I think I found Neville scarier than Voldemort.

Last edited by Linaewen : 12-06-2005 at 07:54 PM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #94
Elanor
Hobbit in the Music

My sister was completely freaked out by the graveyard scene. She won't even watch it now. But then she gets scared by any remotely scary movie. I'm a little more jaded, at least as to action violence (I don't like horror), so while it did impress me, it didn't actually scare me. I think if I didn't know what was going to happen it would have scared me more.

Segovia Mazes
Old 12-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #95
durinsbane2244
Dreamweaver

maybe it's because i'm not a little girl, but i wasn't that scared...and i've read the book so much...anyway, one thing far from butchered, I LOVED THE APPARITION! IT WAS AWESOME! i was hoping it wouldn't be puff of smoke like dobby, and they didn't let me down...it was tendrils of darkness...sweet..oh, and when Voldie came back...i just love tendrils of darkness...anyway, i was dissapointed they got rid of stupify and just used expelliarmus...
----------------
Old 12-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #96
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

when is GoF coming out on DVD? the trailers do look pretty cool.
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 01:16 AM   #97
azalea
Long lost mooter

I realised I didn't give my 2 cents on Entmoot about this. I REALLY liked this movie! I thought the pacing was great, and that they did a good job with the translation aside from the few inevitable things (Padma in Gryffindor, Flitwick crowd surfing, Maxime picking something from Hagrid and eating it). Cho's accent surprised me as well, but she was cute.

The two scenes I missed the most were the staircase scene with Harry in his cloak, Moody, Filch, and Snape; and the ending scene in the hospital wing where Ddore confronts Fudge about Voldie's return and assigns tasks to everyone. But I do understand why they couldn't include everything.

I really liked the scene when Harry comes back with Cedric's body. I thought DR did a good job there.

That's basically it!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 11:27 AM   #98
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

I'm hoping the DVD comes out by June, based upon past releases. Meanwhile, I'll read all your reviews.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #99
azalea
Long lost mooter

I'm sure there will be extended/ extra scenes on the dvd, too!
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #100
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Saw it today... it was fine, not too good, too many things unlike the books - I suppose they had to do it, the book is huge. But there were many things I hated that had nothing to do with saving time...
I think the scenes just jumped from one to the other. It was really annoying.. Barty Crouch dead->Harry comes to Dumbledore's office, and I thought he's going to tell him about Crouch like in the book, but then I realized it's the scene with the pensive... weird.
Hated the 'dance' of Durstrang and Beauxbaton, also hated the fact they were all boys all girls... hated the elimination of the house-elves... hated the fact everyone was happy in the end!!! The end should've been sad. Very sad even, at least for Harry Hermione and Ron, and yet for some reason they were happy!!! Voldemort was indeed disappointing. But I suppose that the best they can do... mentioning the polyjuice all the time again ruined the end in a way for those who haven't rea dthe books... and I thought Harry losing consious in the World Cup was silly. I don't like the fact Crouch Junior returns to Azkaban either, becuase then they'll have to show him again next movies when all others will be released. to end this... why did the dragon chased Harry and left her egg volunrable? Where's the sense in that?
And can you believe Dumbledore shouted?

These are the main points... Still for a Harry Potter movie it was okay I guess. I just had more expectations.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote