Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-24-2002, 04:56 PM   #1
spidersbane
Hobbit

Humiliation of Gimli?

I watched the movie for the second time last week and figured I should probably also brush up on the books. While I was reading I started noticing how good of a fighter Gimli really was, beating even Legolas some of the time.(Orc competition,TTT)Yet in FotR it seems to me they kind of made Gimli seem unequal to any of the other Fellowship. He is even made to look silly alot of times, i.e. the beard thing in the mines, smashing his axe, being suprised by Galadriel's elves in the woods. I know that some of these are in the book, but I just thought he should have gotten more screen time to show his ability. Does anyone agree\disagree?
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 05:12 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

That's been my argument against the film. Jackson had hardly any character development. In a previous thread I had pointed out that I wondered how Jackson was going to be able to have Legolas and Gimli develop their strong bond and friendship - since so much of the conflict between the two in FOTR was left out. But with the way Jackson developed the movie - I don't think we'll see the same interaction between the characters as in the books - just more of the same action sequences in new locations.

It's a shame too - because Gimli and Legolas's friendship was a big thing - them over coming their prejudices and the "racial" aspect.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Jackson will surprise me.

And I agree that Gimli did look silly at times - but not at imbecilic as Pippin. But again - everyone argues he had to make the movie appeal to a "mass audience". I guess those are the people that can't grasp intricate concepts and can't really follow character interaction and development very well.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 01-24-2002 at 05:17 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 05:55 PM   #3
spidersbane
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil

It's a shame too - because Gimli and Legolas's friendship was a big thing - them over coming their prejudices and the"racial"aspect.
I agree completely, and it is obvious that they do overcome all bounderies when Legolas asks Treebeard's permission to come to the forest with his friend and Treebeard says any elf is welcome. Treebeard seems suprised when Legolas explains he means Gimli. So I hope the next movie shows how true of friends they really did become.
— Feanor, from the Quenta Silmarillion.

"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)

"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't."
spidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I agree with you there, though I did love Gimli in the film, I wish he had more, how should I saw this? Seriousness? As he had in the book.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 06:55 AM   #5
Legolas_BowKing
Banned

Both Gimli and Legolas didnt get nearly enough air time.
Legolas_BowKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 10:32 AM   #6
Gildor
Hobbit

Character Development

Most movies only have three or four MAIN characters. With LOTR we have, "the nine" at level one, Theoden, Denethor, Eomer, Faramir, Eowyn, Saruman, Gollum, Sauron, Galadriel, and Elrond, which I would put at level two, then Bombadil, Goldberry, Celeborn, Beregond, Butterbur, Arwen, Imrahil, Grima, Gildor, Glorfindel, Ioneth, Shaga, and other Orcs (Minor-- but with a unique character). Thats at least 35 characters--twenty five of which are pretty important in the book-- and I'm sure I've left out some. Movies aren't up to the task of fleshing out these people and showing the subtle changes in all their relationships. I still enjoyed the movie...but I'm hoping that we will see more of the personalities of at least the important characters. I did really like the portrayal of Sam. As far as I'm concerned, that was paramount to the plot. PJ did a good job with Gandalf too, and the Balrog (a minor character, but as evil as they come.) Legolas looked the part, but needed more development, Boromir was played well--I really liked his character, and Aragorn was acceptable.