Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-18-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
Frodo the small
Sapling

The Foundation Trilogy

I love the first Foundation book and I am reading the second(I stopped half way through 2 read The Lord Of The Rings)but so far I'm a bit dissapointed.Foundation is a great story but it is also really clever.What makes the book so great is the way the foundation controls the kingdoms in different ways at different times eg:religion,trade etc.Foundation and Empire is(so far)really good but it doesn't seem 2 be as clever as the first which is dissapointing.Does anybody agree?Also are there ne sequels/prequels 2 The Naked Sun?
Quote:
My simple slant,this broken chant,my human faith,my revelate.-The Frames
Frodo the small is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2002, 01:32 PM   #2
Quazar
Hobbit

My dear Frodo the Small, all told including prequils, there are 11 Foundation related books going back to the Robots Of Dawn (The First Robot book) and 2 prequils to that book written after the last Foundation book, Foundation And Earth.
I have read them all at least once, but doubt I could make it through them again. I much prefer a more science based sci-fi. If you do I reccomend the Giants Quadrillogy by James P. Hogan which starts with 'Inherit The Stars'.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 03:23 PM   #3
Foul_Dwimmerlaik
Enting

The first book shows how psychohistory allows the Foundation to predict and defeat the early hurdles to its eventual supremacy. Foundation and Empire deals with two things that happen after the Foundation is established as the main power in its corner of the Galaxy: the backlash of the dying Empire, and the Mule, a creature utterly unpredictable by psychohistory, and thus the Foundations greatest threat...it also introduces the Second Foundation, mentioned briefly by Seldin but never expounded on.
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the lidless eye.
Foul_Dwimmerlaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2002, 09:45 PM   #4
mirrille
Elven Warrior

Yeah.
But even if you usually only read the harder kind of SF, I think everyone should read at least some of the robot novels or robot short stories (Try "I, Robot"). We can't have supposed SF fans running around not knowing about the 3 laws of robotics, can we? It's one of those cultural things.
I read all the foundation novels but not the prequels that were not written by Asimov. I find the Galactic Empire and Robot novels to be more on the side of light reading. Not brilliant, but entertaining. Foundation is kind of nice because psychohistory is kind of a neat new thing. The prequels are more standard, I think. But it's been a long time since I've read them.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote