Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2002, 10:09 PM   #1
Quazar
Hobbit

Other Frank Herbert Books worth reading.

There is another series that Frank Herbert wrote in which he created a universe of breathtaking span and depth. Unfortunately it only contains two books, or that is all I have been able to find.
These books deal with Jorj X. McKie, Saboteur Extadordinary. The first is 'Whipping Star', the second is 'The Dosadi Experiment'. I think they are extremly good books, very different and very complex.
Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2002, 01:30 AM   #2
mirrille
Elven Warrior

The only other longer series of his that I have read is the one that begins with 'Destination: Void'. This would be the rewrite, because I think this novel is based on a short story of his that had the same name. It was especially interesting because I was reading 'Frankenstein' for school at the same time, and in the rewrite, he decided to tie in some Frankenstein references. The book sort of sets up the story of how these scientists "created" an intelligent computer that takes on godlike characteristics. The subsequent books "The Lazarus Effect", "The Jesus Incident" and "The Ascension Factor" deal with the aftermath - on a world that this god creates, I think. As you can see, the Christianity references are very heavy in the later books. All I remember is that this series was even weirder than Dune, but it is very interesting and creative. Maybe a little too creative for some people, but I enjoyed it, even if I didn't completely understand all of it.
Unfortunately, I suspect it's out of print, because I haven't seen it around anywhere. Maybe the library will have it.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote