Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2004, 08:30 PM   #21
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

From RotK:

Gandalf: "Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. It would be very unwise to bring him news of his beloved sons death. Best not to speak of it. And don't mention Frodo either, or the ring. Or Aragorn, say nothing of him. In fact, its best if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took."

lol
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 05:23 AM   #22
Victoria
Sapling

Sam

I think Sam had a lot of the best lines spoken

one is, the end of Two Towers where he speaks about how there's still good left in this world and it's worth fighting for...sorry I don't memorize it...

next, is him carrying Frodo..."...but I can carry you!!"..

Gollum's line of "stupid, fat hobbitses..." and the way he coughs out and makes the sound of "Gollum"....just the way I always though it to be....

and last is Eowyn's scene after killing the witch king "I am no man..." and proceeds to toss her hair ala Charlie's Angels...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 07:19 AM   #23
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
From RotK:

Gandalf: "Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. It would be very unwise to bring him news of his beloved sons death. Best not to speak of it. And don't mention Frodo either, or the ring. Or Aragorn, say nothing of him. In fact, its best if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took."

lol
I love that one too! It's hilarious!

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:08 PM   #24
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

Well, here are four quotes from me, and commentary. They are not my particular favorites (there's far too many for that):

1) Line from the book successfully produced in the movie: "I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you and it!" I love this moment in the movie. The swelling of the music just frosts the cake!! It's a great moment in book and movie.

2) Line of narrative from the book successfully changed to movie dialouge: "The grey rain-curtain of this life rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it... white shores, and beyond them, a far green country under a swift sunrise."

3) Original movie line successfully added (Ooo, there are a whole lot of these): "Have you ever seen it Aragorn- the white city? The Tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?" Very nicely delivered, and certainly not put to shame by the Minas Tirith we see in RotK.

4) Most botched book line in move: "You fool! No living man can hinder me!" The lack of archaic language takes the manace out of the words, and the reply is definately shortened and disappointing. I love the book version tons and loads better.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:07 PM   #25
ryttu3k
Enting

1) Line from the book successfully produced in the movie: "Don't go where I can't follow!" I was pretty much thinking, 'Okay, I'm gone, pass the tissues...'

As an alternative: "Spear shall be shaken! Sheild shall be splintered! It is a sword day, a red day, 'ere the sun rises!" I just LOVE that bit.

2) Line of narrative from the book successfully changed to movie dialogue: "Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?" In my opinion it fits in perfectly with Theoden's dispair that he's leading his people to slaughter, I love that scene.

3) Original movie line successfully added: "Have you ever seen it Aragorn - the white city? The Tower of Ecthelion glimmering like a spike of pearl and silver, its banners caught high in the morning breeze. Have you ever been called home by the clear ringing of silver trumpets?" I agree. I LOVE this line.

4) Most botched book line in move: Elrond invokes Gilraen. I just cringed.

5) Overall worst line in the movie: "If you want him, come and claim him!" ARGHH!! Failing that, "Give us the halfling, she-elf!" Same scene. Ugh. I can't even watch it -_-

I actually like Eowyn's simple, "I am no man" line... it was powerful... strong... and had every woman in the cinema cheering! (Including me!)
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:26 PM   #26
Victoria
Sapling

Strider

I also like Galadriel's line of: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.."...
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:20 AM   #27
Gerbil
Elf Lord

'If you want him, come and claim him... at the lost property desk'

I liked how in the prologue of FotR stole a fair few of Treebeard's lines that I liked from the book

The Gandalf - Frodo chat in Moria about Gollum and doing what you had to do was fantastic - Ian delivered the lines flawlessly. I just wish they'd kept the other lines in that go with it.

'I am no woman' bothers me irrationally too, and it really is the slightest adjustment of words!

Theoden's rallying cry before the Pelannor fields was pretty stirring, although in part that's because I was all excited about the battle that was about to commence - which pretty much lived up to expectations apart from circus acrobat Legolas doing what he does best - ruining battles with his stupid stunts.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #28
matthew
Enting

I liked the line about the red day, sword day etc. I also liked Gandalf's line about Pippin throwing himself next time and Pippin's comeback to Merry saying that people of inteligence are needed on the trip.

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 12:35 PM   #29
matthew
Enting

Or was that Merry's comeback to Pippin?

Flame me. Go ahead.

Matthew in 2028. One by one we're bringing them back.

Vote Nader.

Stop the hamster eaters!!!!

End global warming! Turn on the AC!!!

Gadzooks! Run!
matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:38 PM   #30
ryttu3k
Enting

Merry's comeback to Pippin. But it was Gandalf's in the book...

"That's what I mean," said Pippin. "We hobbits ought to stick together, and we will. I shall go, unless they chain me up. There must be someone with intelligence in the party."

"Then you certainly will not be chosen, Peregrin Took!" said Gandalf, looking in through the window, which was near the ground.
ryttu3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:46 PM   #31
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Notice the absence of "Mission... quest... thing"? That line needlessly made Pippin look stupid.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:29 PM   #32
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Gollum

I HATED that friggin' line; they already had pulled out all the stops to portray Pippin as a goofy, clueless amusingly daft child, a caricaturization of Tolkien's real Pippin just like they did with poor Faramir, and Boromir, and Celeborn, and Gimli, and so on. It's kind of insulting to the intelligence capacity of the movie-going audience. It's super insulting to the art of Tolkien.

Like when Boromir was totally being rude at the Council meeting, telling Aragorn "and what would a ranger *sarcasm* know of this matter?" Boromir wouldn't have been so vulgur and rashly tactless like that, not with his background and manners.

Anything Gollum or Smeagol gets to say, however, is spot on! Love that weird little wretch...

"We told him to go away, and away he goes, Precious. Gone, gone, gone! Smeagol is free!"

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:28 AM   #33
Acran Mern

Gimli

On quote that I loved from the book, and wish they could have worked into ROTK somehow was about Eomer.

"... for he was as yet unscathed, and he was young and he was king, lord of a fell people."

That's not all of it but *shivers* just sends chills down your spine.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #34
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

"You're what, 3'6"? While I'm pushing 3'7"...3'8"..."
(TTT, EE)
In context, it's pretty funny.
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:50 PM   #35
Curubethion
Fenway Ranger, Lord of Red Sox Nation

And let's not forget Sam's speech in TTT (you know, the inspiring end speech).
My wife once said to me—when I'd been writing for ten or fifteen years—that I could always go back to being a nuclear engineer. And I said to her, 'Harriet, would you let someone who quit his job to go write fantasy anywhere near your nuclear reactor? I wouldn't!' (Robert Jordan)
Curubethion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:25 AM   #36
Mormegil
Sapling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie Gamgee
The lack of archaic language takes the manace out of the words, and the reply is definately shortened and disappointing. I love the book version tons and loads better.
That would be my biggest complaint about the movies, they seemed to "dumb down" some of the dialouge. I missed Denethor's speech to Gandalf:

"Dost thou think the eyes of the White Tower were blind? I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool..."

The whole exchange between Eowyn and the WK was some of my fav. lines from the book!!
"Begone foul dwimmerlaik! For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him!"

"Come not between the Nazgul and his prey, or he will slay thee in turn..."

"Do what you will I will hinder it, if I may..."

"Fool! Dost thou not know the prophecy? No living man may hinder me!"

"And no living man am I! You look upon a woman! Eowyn am I, and you stand between me and my lord and kin."

And what about the exchange between Gandalf and the WK? That scene in the movie made the G-man look like a total wimp!!! Olorin the Maia of Lorien in Valinor would not have stood for that crap!

G: "Go back! You cannot enter here! Go back and fall to the nothingness that awaits you and your Master!"

WK: "Old fool! This is my hour! Do you not know Death, when you see it? Die now, and curse in vain!"
Mormegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:43 PM   #37
rohirrim TR
Friendly Neigborhood Sith Lord

TTT
Legolas: You look terrible
Aragorn: your an elf you should have seen me when I was 5 miles away
Legolas: your late
Aragorn: *punches him * PJ can you get some body else for legolas?
maybe this should be in another thread but it was definetly a botched line and legolas(bloom/PJ) did nothing to dispell the myth about dumb blondes
...Inspiration is a highly localized phenomenon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gaffer
It seems that as soon as "art" gets money and power (real or imagined), it becomes degenerate, derivative and worthless. A bit like religion.

Last edited by rohirrim TR : 09-09-2005 at 03:47 PM.
rohirrim TR is offline   Reply With Quote