Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-05-2000, 12:18 AM   #21
bmilder

Re: Gandalf's foreknowledge....

Oh really? Which board?

But anyway you can argue about LotR here to your heart's content, as long as you're civil
Old 08-05-2000, 05:00 PM   #22
Shanamir Duntak

Yeah that right!
Look, I'm still here!
But I'm going with everybody. I think Gandalf had an idea about Gollum's role, I mean, why else would he insist on not hurting Gollum, a creature that is so evil?
Old 08-06-2000, 06:25 PM   #23
emilsson

I too have to agree with everybody. Gandalf sensed GollumĀ“s role in the destruction of the ring. One thing that interest me is that Frodo does not kill Gollum ( in the beginning of Two Towers I think ). When I read that passage I thought that Frodo acted the way he did not only because of what Gandalf had said but also because he could sense there was more to GollumĀ“s part than it appeared.
Old 08-06-2000, 06:49 PM   #24
noldo

That's right. I also think there was some pity in it too.
Old 08-07-2000, 02:12 AM   #25
arynetrek

i'm not going to retype it here, but read The Taming of Smeagol, approx. p. 639-640.

for those who aren't looking this up right now, Sam suggests killing Gollum, Frodo won't (b/c of foreknowledge?) & also won't abandon him in the wilds. THEN Frodo remembers Bilbo's & Gandalf's lines about "pity?" from Book I, & says that he won't touch Gollum & pities him, but won't let him go wandering through the wilds unchecked & so takes him with them.

it seems that we're all in agreement, & this just corroborates (sp?) our point.

but also, Gandalf says "not even the Wise can see all ends," so i think Gandalf & Frodo were both merely suspecting that Gollum had a part to play. of course, they were right, but neither one of them really knew what the future held while they talked at Bag End.

aryne *
Old 08-07-2000, 04:16 AM   #26
dogtrot

perhaps gandalf being a maiar had a more developed sense of destiny, meaning everyone involved had a part to play in the final events of the destruction of the ring. also any good story has to have forshadowing and this is apparent in passages like those qouted above.
Old 08-08-2000, 08:01 PM   #27
Shanamir Duntak

In the middle Earth roleplaying game, there is a stat called "Intuition" (in french). Remember that it is approved by Tolkiens Estate.

I guess
Gandalf had a high score in that stat!