Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM   #101
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Gimli certainly is an exceptional dwarf! I think it's rather unfair to say Dwarves are greedy though. Just because they like treasure doesn't mean they are all greedy about it. Thats like saying Thranduil is greedy, but I don't think he is either.
I agree. It would be wrong to say dwarfs are any more greedy than men. Some of them are off course more greedy than others, but that occurs for mmankind also.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:01 PM   #102
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Am i not correct in saying that Tolkien states that dwarves alone of the free peoples of ME were able to resist the domination of the rings? (thats not to say dwarves totally unaffected or uindesirous of them, merely of a character not easily externally dominated) - i think appendices ROTK??
In this sense they are a good call.
Take point about exceptions: surely it is absloutely true that Frodo IS an exception to most hobbits.

So, good question, but my initial gut reaction is NO dwarves in general wouldn't be an ideal choice despite their natural resistance to domination by the rings or external powers.
Why? Well they ARE incredibly prone to lust for Gold and wealth, more impetous than modest homely Hobbits, and certainly couldn't IMHO creep through Mordor quietly without kicking off.

Agree Glimli is to large degree an exception himself: making pals with elves, adoring Galadriel etc, but as someone pointed out earlier, he wasn't chosen was he? It was pre-ordained that Frodo be the bearer - 'nough said.(?)

Or probably not.
cheers, butterbeer
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:36 PM   #103
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbeer
Am i not correct in saying that Tolkien states that dwarves alone of the free peoples of ME were able to resist the domination of the rings? (thats not to say dwarves totally unaffected or uindesirous of them, merely of a character not easily externally dominated) - i think appendices ROTK??
Take point about exceptions: surely it is absloutely true that Frodo IS an exception to most hobbits.

So, good question, but my initial gut reaction is NO dwarves in general wouldn't be an ideal choice despite their natural resistance to domination by the rings or external powers.
Why? Well they ARE incredibly prone to lust for Gold and wealth, more impetous than modest homely Hobbits, and certainly couldn't IMHO creep through Mordor quietly without kicking off.

Agree Glimli is to large degree an exception himself: making pals with elves, adoring Galadriel etc, but as someone pointed out earlier, he wasn't chosen was he? It was pre-ordained that Frodo be the bearer - 'nough said.(?)

Or probably not.
cheers, butterbeer
Huh?
I don't understand you...
Best quit trying...

P.S.
25 posts to elf lord!!!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:06 PM   #104
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
You make a good point. But I think a large factor in all this is how much the Dwarven Rings differ from the other rings in their effect.

The question is also whether the not-being-dominated would be a safe enough reason to entrust the One Ring to a Dwarf. I'd say no. Considering that the rings of power enhanced some of the Dwarves less good characteristics (like greed and lust for gold) the One Ring may not have been able to dominate a Dwarven bearer but he may have been able to manipulate him, to the ruin of the Fellowship.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:38 PM   #105
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eärniel
You make a good point. But I think a large factor in all this is how much the Dwarven Rings differ from the other rings in their effect.

The question is also whether the not-being-dominated would be a safe enough reason to entrust the One Ring to a Dwarf. I'd say no. Considering that the rings of power enhanced some of the Dwarves less good characteristics (like greed and lust for gold) the One Ring may not have been able to dominate a Dwarven bearer but he may have been able to manipulate him, to the ruin of the Fellowship.

Well i agree with you - can't quite understand why that is so unclear to understand (esp to me9996??????? whats that all about??) my feeling is they have natural species resistance but are like you said VERY suscepticable to the greed of Gold etc.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #106
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Huh?
Best quit trying...

P.S.
25 posts to elf lord!!!

ER don't quite know how to take this or where to start? OK so firstly 25 to go! Good luck and best wishes. - 'Don't understand you'? - ER, ok not quite sure what you don't understand? Unless you mean "enough said - probably not?" this means hopefully it aint the end of the discussion! Otherwise please explain what you do not understand?
Quit trying? -
Quit trying? -
Quit trying? -

Look - don't wanta take this the wrong way without a good reason but just what do you mean????
Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 PM   #107
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by me9996
Huh?
Best quit trying...

P.S.
25 posts to elf lord!!!

OK thought does occur you might mean YOU'D best quit trying ( i.e. to understand Me!) - though i fail to see what is so complicated?
So if i took that wrong way please make it clear one way or the other - also, i thought 500 posts was what you needed for Elf Lord?? Havent you already gone over ? Either way Immortal one ("for a while") - good luck! Is it to be "Wiazrd" then?
( PS If you ARE saying i should quit trying i still wish you good luck, just not quite for so long! Know what i mean? - Like,well y'know ...)
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM   #108
me9996
Ring-smith

Location: Either walking across Rohan or riding through Fangorn forest
Strider

Quote:
OK thought does occur you might mean YOU'D best quit trying ( i.e. to understand Me!) - though i fail to see what is so complicated?
So if i took that wrong way please make it clear one way or the other - also, i thought 500 posts was what you needed for Elf Lord?? Havent you already gone over ? Either way Immortal one ("for a while") - good luck! Is it to be "Wiazrd" then?
( PS If you ARE saying i should quit trying i still wish you good luck, just not quite for so long! Know what i mean? - Like,well y'know ...)
I made that post before I made it to elf lord (25posts to be exact) so that is... can't think of anything to say here. Bye!!!
Has no authority whatsoever
Master of messing up
Master of spoiler tags

Thread killer
Ring smith

Merry Christmas!
They'd never say that (Part 2)

What happened to the dragon?
me9996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 07:26 PM   #109
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

well i see it is WIZARD! (as the famous-five would say!)

...congrats ...

..er... (bit of a catchphrase of mine at the mo)

with respect you didn't really answer my question - are you telling me to shut up (if so why?) or did i take it the wrong way (i,e, for some reason - i'd still like to know what?) you were saying you'd yourself best try to quit trying to unerstand what i was saying?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:59 PM   #110
CrazySquirrel
Shape-shifting, men-grabbing NAZGUL

Maybe a dwarf would be better but Gandalf have preferred a hobbit and he knew better. A dwarf would've put the ring in his private hoard i recon, not destroy it
CrazySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote