Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-07-2005, 02:04 PM   #21
Twista
Orodruin's Flame

I see, thank you for explaining that to me buddy!

Visit the Ye Olde Avatar Shop and The New One

Dont tell me what I cannot do

Two men are on a Island, they both see a "monster", one sees a bright light, and the other sees a dark cloud

My name bares no reference to the music artist.
Twista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:06 PM   #22
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
Thingol was a perfect example of being a racist I think.
Elrond was in the same way as Thingol. Only allowing Arwen to marry a human if they were the King of Gondor and Arnor.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:20 PM   #23
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
Elrond was in the same way as Thingol. Only allowing Arwen to marry a human if they were the King of Gondor and Arnor.
That's true, as Thingol mellowed with Beren after the Quest of the Silmaril. He also cared for Turin and Morwen. It remains that in the beginning though, that he was still racist toward Men.

"North away." he said: "to the swords, and the siege, and the walls of defence - that yet for a while in Beleriand rivers may run clean, leaves spring, and birds build their nests, ere Night comes."

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:03 PM   #24
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Golden Hair
That's true, as Thingol mellowed with Beren after the Quest of the Silmaril. He also cared for Turin and Morwen. It remains that in the beginning though, that he was still racist toward Men.
Reminds me of some of the Fëanorions, actually. I don't feel like searching for the quote right now, but I remember Caranthir taking note and recognising the strengths of Men too late...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:41 PM   #25
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

You have to remember that not all elves were racist though. Finrod was the first elf to make contact with Men. Fingolfin and Fingon took the Men of Dor-Lormin into his service. Turgon allowed Húrin and Hior to enter and leave Gondolin (even though that the entering and leving was courtesy of the eagles). Elladan and Elrohir were often abroad with the Dunedain. There are many cases similar to this.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:17 PM   #26
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
You have to remember that not all elves were racist though. Finrod was the first elf to make contact with Men. Fingolfin and Fingon took the Men of Dor-Lormin into his service. Turgon allowed Húrin and Hior to enter and leave Gondolin (even though that the entering and leving was courtesy of the eagles). Elladan and Elrohir were often abroad with the Dunedain. There are many cases similar to this.
Of course not all were. I was reluctant to mention Finrod myself, though... Turgon was also an exception, but I wouldn't claim Elladan and Elrohir, who technically speaking weren't Elves themselves.

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote