Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-26-2000, 04:57 PM   #1
gdl96

Unbreakable

I saw it on Wednesday. I'll just give a short review.

Bottom Line:
It was not as good as 6th Sense, but if you liked that movie, I would highly recomend this one. Like 6th Sense, Unbreakable has a surprise ending, which I will not spoil.

My rating (out of four stars): ***
Old 11-27-2000, 01:46 AM   #2
bmilder

Re: Unbreakable

You saw it too?

I thought it was good, in the style of Sixth Sense, but not quite as good.

Some comments on the plot...

Warning: Possible plot spoilers for those who haven't seen the movie.
//

So, Elijah seems to have made all those accidents occur - but there was one major flaw in it. If he believed that his opposite would have a weakness for water, what's the point of sabotaging a plane, which would most likely go down over an ocean? If David had been on the various planes that went down, he'd have died along with everyone else.

Was that villainous maintenance guy actually a supervillain? He seemed to use some sort of power to get the guy to open the door, but that was never revealed.

/END SPOILERS
Old 11-27-2000, 06:39 PM   #3
IronParrot

I saw it last night... I thought it was better than The Sixth Sense because the irony of the ending had more meaning and tied into the underlying themes and concepts of the film far better.

Full review coming soon... but I might let it sink in first, or even watch it a second time.
Old 11-27-2000, 08:22 PM   #4
Film Hobbit

SPOILERS!!
.<<<o, Elijah seems to have made all those accidents occur - but there was one major flaw in
it. If he believed that his opposite would have a weakness for water, what's the point of
sabotaging a plane, which would most likely go down over an ocean? If David had been on
the various planes that went down, he'd have died along with everyone else.>>>

He didn't know that the person he found would have a weakness for water... remember, at first Elijah didn't understand how David could have been injured in the pool and was confused. Then... sitting in the comic book shop he realized that all superheroes have weaknesses, and that one of his weaknesses was water... and since they were polar opposites, perhaps they shared one of the same weaknesses... therefore, when he blew up the plane, he didnt' know that the person he was looking for would be susceptible to water.

<<< Was that villainous maintenance guy actually a supervillain? He seemed to use some sort of
power to get the guy to open the door, but that was never revealed.>>>

It was never indicated that he was any kind of a supervillan, just an evil man. He knocked on the guys door and he opened it to see who was there. Who was there was just some weirdo saying weird things... he started to shut his door and the guy shoved it open and killed him... actually a common enough type of crime in America.. very scary, but no superpowers necessary.

BTW.. Unbreakable is VERY VERY good and if you haven't seen it go now. In some ways I liked it more than the 6th Sense if only because it asked more questions and was more relatable.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:14 AM   #5
Erewe
Enting

I saw Unbreakable yesterday on video. My Opinion: The Greatest Movie of all time. Better than the 6th sense. Way better. I paced back and forth all through the credits going "Oh my god" over and over. M. Night Shiamalan is deffinatly my favorite director now.

SPOILERS

As far as the plane goes, remember that he sabatoged it to crash on take off.

--Erewë

"Hey! Look! There he goes! Oh, it's just a crumby Balrog" --Crow T Robot

"I'll just see if Bombadil has a place to crash" --Pearl Forrester

"Put a sock in it, Legolas" --Mike Nelson

"Hey Gollum. Whats up man?" --Tom Servo
Erewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2001, 01:04 PM   #6
Darth Tater
The man

I love this movie. I think it is equally as good as Sixth Sense.

SPOILERS:

I also love the ending. The two movies work well together because they are polar opposites. Sixth Sense is a sad story dealing with issues of death, loss, and the falling away of loves ones, with an incredibly happy ending. Unbreakable is a relatively joyfull tale of realization with a heartbreaking ending, when the hero learns that his best friend is his arch nemesis.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:46 PM   #7
webwizard333
Elf Lord

Hmmmm, I'll have to try and get it next time I'm at the local video store.
webwizard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 07:41 PM   #8
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I loved this movie.

Also way does a plane have to go an ocean?

There are no oceans IN the contintental U.S.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote