Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 11-12-2004, 12:15 PM   #21
Mercutio

I've read Curtain, Mirror Crack'd, Styles, Nile, Murder on the Links, Orient Express, Roger Ackroyd, and currently And Then There Were None.

I personally like Dorothy Sayers better. Christie's whodunnits are fun, but I enjoy Sayers with deeper plots/themes/etc. better.

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:16 PM   #22
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

I just read The Hollow. It was weird, but really good.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 04:11 AM   #23
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahStar
I once read (don't remember where, sorry) that Agatha Christie deliberately wrote her novels in such a way that any one of three or so characters could be the murderer. That's why it's impossible to guess. This doesn't really seem fair to the reader, but since when does the reader actually want to figure out the solution before the detective? I know, I know, I try to figure it out, too, but my real hope is to be completely surprised.
Agatha Christie seemed to have a grudge against the "it's always the one you least suspect" cliche. One of her books, Cards on the Table, was specifically written so that all four suspects had equal motive and opportunity, yet she managed to surprise me at the end anyway, which is one of the things I love about Agatha Christie. I think there have only been one or two of her books that have disappointed me in respect to the endings.
In dark green ivy, and among wild larches?"

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum.
Minielin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #24
tolkienfan
Elf Lord

yes, I completely agree.
tolkienfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 01:59 AM   #25
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio
I personally like Dorothy Sayers better. Christie's whodunnits are fun, but I enjoy Sayers with deeper plots/themes/etc. better.
Which one (or two) would you recommend, Merc? I'd like to start on Sayers

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 12:07 PM   #26
inked
Elf Lord

I have just acquired a book incorporating two stories by AC and DLS: The Spoof and Behind the curtain. I'm looking forward to reading it.

The Detection Club produced several of these joint efforts, IIRC.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #27
inked
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked
I have just acquired a book incorporating two stories by AC and DLS: The Spoof and Behind the curtain. I'm looking forward to reading it.

edit: The Scoop & Behind the Screen is the proper title.
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
Old 01-26-2005, 06:44 PM   #28
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minielin
One of her books, Cards on the Table, was specifically written so that all four suspects had equal motive and opportunity, yet she managed to surprise me at the end anyway, which is one of the things I love about Agatha Christie.
Just wanted you to know that because of your post, I pulled out "Cards on the Table" and ended up reading the WHOLE book last night! (and was up too late! *yawn* ) Really quite fun, esp. the interesting course of action that Mrs. L. took.

Christie is not in the same league as, say, Austen, but for me, her books are good brainless fun. Even tho I know "who done it", I still enjoy reading them, esp. for her little dashes of humor and her way of making you picture her characters.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 01-26-2005, 10:53 PM   #29
Mercutio

Quote:
Originally Posted by inked

there was one about a ship I checked out (but never read!)...also had G.K. Chesterton contributing.

RÃ*an...hmm...Inked...which Sayer's should she start with? Let's say not any of the Vane/Wimsey yet, nor Nine Tailors (a little much to jump right into). Clouds of Witness isn't exceptional, too/either. So...Whose Body, Bellona Club, Natural Death, Advertise?

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 11:20 PM   #30
inked
Elf Lord

MURDER MUST ADVERTISE if it can't be a Lord Peter Wimsey. MMA is witty, fast-paced and as on target in today's milieu of advertising as it was when there was only written screed!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:17 AM   #31
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RÃ*an
Christie is not in the same league as, say, Austen, but for me, her books are good brainless fun. Even tho I know "who done it", I still enjoy reading them, esp. for her little dashes of humor and her way of making you picture her characters.
That's such a good way of putting it! Same here.

I didn't like Nine Tailors at all... the ending just bugged me in a big way.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:36 AM   #32
Rían

Nine Tailors - I don't remember that one... There's a few I actually threw away after I read them, but I must have about 20 or 25 still, and I'll pick one up every once in awhile and enjoy it.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #33
Minielin
Elven Warrior

Just for clarification, Nine Tailors is by Sayers as opposed to Christie.