Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books > LOTR Discussion Project
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
Mrs.Gimli
Hobbit

Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
Farewell to Lórien

The time has come of departure from Lórien, and the company is put to one last test: They must decide whether they should leave the Quest and remain in Lórien, or go forward. Aragorn knows that he must decide too, on behalf of the Fellowship, which course to take next. Celeborn gives the valuable gift of boats, which allows Aragorn to delay his choice for a few days. On the day of departure other gifts are given: Lembas, the waybread of the Elves, and the silken cloaks with the brooches, and the silvery ropes made of hithlain. These are all gifts that will be of importance on the Quest. They are also a certain sign that the guests are "high in the favour of the Lady".

Haldir returns to be their guide once more, and he leads them to the Elves' harbour, and after packing their goods the Company are urged to try out the boats before their departure. While they are paddling slowly up the Silverlode, the white swan ship appears with Celeborn and Galadriel. Galadriel is playing her harp and singing a beautiful but immensely sad song about the inevitable loss she and all the Elves in Lórien soon will suffer.
I was thinking of Sam's words: "Whether they've made the land, or the land's made them, it's hard to say" I think Galadriel's song is a strong indication that she made the land. Another indication is her gift to Sam, as we shall see later. Your thoughts?This is so sad. Galadriel knows that Lórien as it is on that day will not survive whether Frodo succeeds or not. The Elves are fading and their presence in the world is swept away by the flowing River of Time. (Here I was reminded of the Athrabeth, where Finrod speaks about the slow-footed but persistent hunter. ) The last two lines of the song is about her personal doom. I think this is a very strong indication that she did not expect to be able to return to the West.
What are your thoughts when you read this poem?

The Fellowship are now invited to eat with the Lord and the Lady at a parting feast. Frodo is more interested in Lady Galadriel than the food. Why has Frodo's perception of Galadriel changed so much? Or is it SHE who has changed, and he who has always seen her as she really is?

Celeborn speaks to them about their journey onwards, and shares his knowledge of the lands beyond the Great River. He also speaks a warning about Fangorn, which Boromir does not pay much credit to. It is notable that Boromir is all too willing to believe the stories he has heard about Lórien, but he dismisses warnings about Fangorn as 'Old wives' tales'

Then there is the gift giving scene. Aragorn is given a sheath for Andúril, but the real gift for him is the Elessar, the green stone. The whole conversation between him and Galadriel is so loaded with meaning, but my favourite is this from Aragorn:Sam receives a little box with earth from Galadriel's garden, and Frodo is given the Light of Eärendil caught in a phial. They are both exceptional gifts that will play a significant role later on in the story. Exceptional is also the gift given to Gimli. With his courteous request he receives from Galadriel what even Fëanor did not: Three strands of her golden hair.
Why do you think Gimli was the only one of the Fellowship that Galadriel had not already prepared a gift to?
Do you think she gave the gift to Gimli gladly? "And how shall I refuse"...
And, what thoughts went through Celeborn's head at that moment?
Compared to these gifts, the belts given to Boromir, Merry, Pippin, and even Legolas seem small and insignificant. Why is that so? Are they held less in esteem?

At last the Company is ready to leave. As the boats bear them away from Lórien, Galadriel sings again, but this time in Quenya. "Ai! Láurië lántar lássi sûrinèn" ... It is interesting to notice that even if Frodo does not understand the words at that time, "they remained graven in his memory", "as is the way of Elvish words". Maybe even more so with Elvish songs. The power of song and the spoken word again.

Gimli is devastated from leaving, and his words are saying much about how he feels:Gimli is showing wisdom with these words. The danger of light and joy! I absolutely love the little talk that follows between him and Legolas. So many profound thoughts there. (PJ, did you never read this part??? ) The grief that Gimli now experiences is well known to Legolas. As an immortal Elf Legolas fully knows the sorrow that comes from loss in a world where death is ever present, but for him an unstained memory is at least a comfort. (Athrabeth again ) Not so for Gimli the Dwarf. My thoughts go also to what Elrond said at the council: (Paraphrasing) "It would be better if the 3 rings had not been made."

I wonder what Boromir felt about leaving, he who did not want to go into Lórien in the first place:Who speaks nearest the truth? How has Lórien changed each of the members of the Fellowship?
Ilove the mirrior of GAladrial!
Mrs.Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote