Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2001, 03:31 PM   #1
fedos
Hobbit

How far along are they with next two?

It had been my understanding that they had already finished Two Towers and Return of the King. But some comments on this board of made me think otherwise.

So: are we waiting because they're putting finishing touches on or because they want us to wait?
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
fedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 03:58 PM   #2
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:01 PM   #3
fedos
Hobbit

yes, they're not done or yes they are done?
But the discord of Melkor rose in uproar and contended with it, and again there was a war of sound more violent than before, until many of the Ainur were dismayed and sang no longer, and Melkor had the mastery.
Old 12-29-2001, 04:18 PM   #4
Lightice
Elven Warrior

They are not done. They still need to do computer animations and general cutting. Neither is ready in any sense of the word.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:30 PM   #5
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Plus I read were PJ wants to reshoot some scenes and additional footage.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

yes to both.

The filming is done, all that remains is some polishing work.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:30 AM   #7
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

More filming is scheduled for May and June. Peter announced last weekend that "The Two Towers" has been cut to nearly final form, but "The Return of the King" is still in pretty rough shape.

Although CGI work remains to be done, other work which has yet to commence includes looping (where the actors re-record their dialogue) and adding in the soundtrack. Post-production work for "The Two Towers" is supposed to be underway.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:33 AM   #8
fedos
Hobbit

"Looping", eh? Is that why sometimes when I watch a movie, I get the feeling that the voices don't match the lip movements?
Old 12-31-2001, 03:44 AM   #9
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

The syncronization problems people notice occasionally can result from any number of things. In a theater, the soundtrack is not directly correlated with the images. I have read that the projectionist must make some adjustments so that the soundtrack matches the images as they are projected.

But I suppose that bad looping might cause a similar problem. Of course, when actors speak in one language and their voices are dubbed in another, there is a high probability that their lips won't match the sounds.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:47 AM   #10
fedos
Hobbit

Usually I only notice it when watching a movie on TV.
Old 12-31-2001, 03:55 AM   #11
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I'm not an expert on these matters, but I suppose that the transition to videotape could resort in a mis-syncronization.
Old 12-31-2001, 12:12 PM   #12
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Actually, I had heard that the next two films are already "in the can", but I guess I didn't hear correctly. Or, maybe Mr. Jackson had some second thoughts here and there. He surely shouldn't, judging by the first film.

Brilliant move making us slaver in anticipation of Yuletide three years running, in my humble, hobbitish opinion.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 03:28 PM   #13
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

the filming is done. But in any movie production the shooting is just the begining ( a 45 day shoot for a typical movie may be followed by months of post production), then comes the looping, digital effects/enhancments, sound production, and music.

Of course with the sucess of the FOTR, PJ will most likely do some more filming - Artwork is never finished, you just run out of time.

Also the original FOTR that PJ submitted was nearly four hours long and much was removed to get it under three hours. Maybe when the DVD is released you will be able to see the directors cut as well as what is in the cinema. Just think a few more seconds here or there and many of the pacing problems that people have complained about will be "fixed", as well perhaps missing tidbits will find there way in. Who knows. Does anyone know when the DVD's will be available, do we have to wait till all the movies are released?
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:40 PM   #14
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I've been banking on it from the first time I saw this film, that there would be a "Director's Cut" released. I'll even buy a bloody DVD player JUST for that!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-04-2002, 01:08 PM   #15
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bropous
I've been banking on it from the first time I saw this film, that there would be a "Director's Cut" released. I'll even buy a bloody DVD player JUST for that!
Here Here!

"Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single sevice ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuosly, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished."

Oh, btw, Frodo lives.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 11:23 AM   #16
CaranIstar
Hobbit

Strider

So shall I, if funds permit.
CaranIstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2002, 12:37 AM   #17
Gildor
Hobbit

The next two movies

I was kinda hoping Peter Jackson hadn't quite finished with the next two...and I was kinda wishin he might be reading this forum in his spare time...and he might actually manage to add some of our very favorite moments into one of the next two movies, since he missed a few in the first one. Like MY FAVORITE (signature quote) Alas. He only had three hours... Oh well. I can hardly wait to see them.
Old 01-06-2002, 12:31 PM   #18
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

You know, Gildor, I was wondering that too, whether Peter Jackson might from time to time peruse this moot to discern the level of approval, or the opposite, from the dedicated Tolkien fans. Or, for that matter, whether anyone in the film did so. It would be really neat to find out that they had, and that in some small way that we influenced at least one decision made for the final version of the following two films.

If he does peruse this board, and sees this post, I would beg and plead with Mr. Jackson to prove the rumors false that Saruman will die at Orthanc on a spike. It is of great imperative import to me to see Saruman come to his end at "Sharkey's End" [Bag End] and to see Frodo hold back the vengeful hobbits from slaying him when Saruman attempts to skewer him with a dagger but the dagger blade snaps on the mithril shirt. That scene shows such a depth of character in Frodo, and it would be so neat to see the spirit of Saruman rise from the body, look to the West, and a strong wind blow up, dissolving the spirit towards the East...

Such an incredibly powerful end to the adventures, IMO.

I know I am going to cry my eyes out at the parting at the Grey Havens. No doubt about it.
Old 01-06-2002, 06:40 PM   #19
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Three Foot Six Productions did have someone reading several of the forums some time back. It's been a long while since I've heard from or seen any sign of that individual, but rest assured that Peter was aware of much of what the fans said about him and the movies, and he seems to have been generally uninfluenced by all.