Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-01-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Cruddy copies of the film at Cinemark Theaters

I saw the film three times at a Cinemark muliplex here in Colorado Springs, you know, those huge temples to the mass-release filmmaker's craft, huge wrap-around screens, "every seat the best in the house", blah blah blah. What I saw was in poor focus, fine details misty and lost, battle scenes blurring as the camera sweeps across the field of vision, overcrowded with husbands dragged there by their wives, noisy punk kids who screeched with laughter over the new "Austin Powers" previews but who groused at the end of the film, "I just didn't get that movie", jammed elbow-to-elbow in sold-out conditions. And still I thought it the best film I had ever seen.

Then, last night, New Year's Eve, I saw it at a small theater, with a small, standard screen, a small and lightly-populated audience, with a bar serving wine and beer, and it increased my love for the film a thousand fold. The bass was not blasting so hard that voices were difficult to understand, I wasable to stretch out for the three hour and twenty minute epic, and enjoyed, finally, the immense detail in sharp focus. There was no comparison.

Enjoying a nice India Pale Ale during Bilbo's Birthday Party brought me right under the Party Tree, and toasting his health on his eleventy-first birthday was a delight! Except for an exceedingly rude who, parents and children alike, talked with loud voices throughout, without pause and ignoring the ushers and fellow patrons' "ssshhh'es" [except during the death of Boromir], the fourth time for me was the best.

Too bad the Cinemark theaters got a terrible print of the film, in poor focus and meant for a smaller, flatter screen. Even repeated attempts by the projectionist to correct this left at least a third of the curved screen out of focus. Really annoying, especially during the battles of the Last Alliance of Elves and Men.

I ended the old year just right, in my humble, Entingish opinion...Now come on, December 2002!!!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 03:28 PM   #2
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
I find that it does'nt matter what theater I go to but who I see it with. I went with my BFF and we had the time of our lives and I am planning on going with her again on the 11th and we might go an spend the rest of my fifty dollars on stuff.
But when you see it with someone you enjoy then it becomes more memorable. I went with my Big Brother in Salt Lake City and the theater there was really cool but because I had'nt seen my Big Brother in awhile the movie became more memorable. I really enjoyed myself that night, not because we had twenty dollars worth of snacks or because the seats rocked and the theater nearly surrounded the room but because I got to open the door to the books to someone who's close to me. It was really cool.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2002, 07:08 PM   #3
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

I saw it the first day, first showing [as I plan to see the next two films, first day, first showing] by myself, the next time with my older sister, who had read the books a long time ago, then the last two times with my girlfriend, who has also read the books, though recently. She thought Orlando Bloom was enchanting too, as I have heard other ladies express.

Enjoyed the movie thoroughly both alone and with others. I am so glad that folks who have not read the books are coming out of the theaters wowed! Agreed, excellent job by PJ & Co.
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:13 PM   #4
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Does BFF = Boy Friend's Friend, sorry I'm not familliar with the terminology.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 08:50 PM   #5
AngieBaggins
Hobbit

Hi,
Bff means, Best Friend Forever. I learned that from my bff when she got me a bff charm bracelet and i got her, well us, two bestfriends necklaces. I've seen it twice. First time wiht my mother, second with my sister. I'm planning on going to see it again with friends.
Angie

She looked over the hall way doors, and noticed him there. It was odd, for she had never met anyone like him. And she never expected she would again.
AngieBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 10:35 PM   #6
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

Thanks for the clarification of BFF.....actually, I thought it meant "Balrog's Flaming Flatus". LOL!