Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 PM   #41
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I don't think that they would had burned Feanors hand because I think that in the Silmarillion it says something like that all others who take the Silmarils it would burn their hands.
Others?

I do agree... I think the would, because Eonwe says they're no longer Feanor's, or his sons'. That's why they burnt Maglor's and Maedros's.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:33 PM   #42
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

I would say that the Silmarils would not tolerate the touch of thoses heavily tainted by evil, such as Feanor by the kinslaying, theft of the ships, and the burning of the ships abandonment of the majority of the Noldor, or his sons by the multiple kinslayings. Beren, Luthian, Dior, Elwing could hold it; The wolf, Maedhros, and Maglor could not
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 02:14 AM   #43
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
i don't remember the sil saying he was 'not allowed' to leave... just that he never did
True, but that indicates to me that he was not allowed. I think he would have wanted to go back, it was in the nature of the Elves to long for their bodies after they had died.

I agree with Lefty about the Silmarils.
Old 08-26-2004, 03:05 AM   #44
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
True, but that indicates to me that he was not allowed. I think he would have wanted to go back, it was in the nature of the Elves to long for their bodies after they had died.
But this wasn't an ordinary elf was it. I agree that I don't think he was allowed to leave but even if he was I'm not sure he would.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 03:11 AM   #45
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artanis
He was possibly ashamed of all his evil deeds and didn't like people to be reminded of them in case of his reincarnation. I know he was very proud, but the Halls of Mandos are a very humbling place. Besides, as TD puts it, he was no ordinary elf, so he probably got a vip treatment from Mandos. I can imagine Mandos taking Fëanor by the scruff of the neck and shaking him while violently telling him off for all of his misdeeds
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2004, 03:08 PM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Feanor realised the deeds he had commited were evil when he was dying but he still reinforced the oath upon his seven son's. Was that evil?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 07:36 AM   #47
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

Quote:
Feanor realised the deeds he had commited were evil when he was dying but he still reinforced the oath upon his seven son's. Was that evil?
I do not think Fëanor ever regarded his actions as evil, not even in the moment of his death. He did realise that the Noldor alone could not overthrow Morgoth, but I don't see any signs that this made him repent. On the contrary, he made his sons take on the oath once more.
Old 09-22-2004, 07:50 AM   #48
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Quote:
Arty already expressed much of my opinion on this point. I'd also like to add that, yes it was POSITIVELY evil to reinforce the oath on his sons because this way Feanor earned the wrath of the Valar on other people than himself. In other words, when he went down, he dragged many people with him.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #49
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

Fëanor: Tolkien's answer to Nietzsche?

Hoping Elemmire wouldn't mind, I'm here quoting a link that she posted in another thread:
The meaning of Übermensch
Having read an essay about the concept of Übermensch in ME as expressed by Sauron, I had this idea: isn't Fëanor also an Übermensch? He certainly has gone beyond established morality and done what other people haven't dared before. So do you think that Tolkien intended to represent Fëanor as an Übermensch in order to rebut that ideal and show that it leads people who profess it to utter destruction and infamy?