Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-03-2004, 11:30 AM   #81
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

If he had wanted it he would have taken it in Bree when there only 4 hobbits who had never travelled so far in their life.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #82
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
If he had wanted it he would have taken it in Bree when there only 4 hobbits who had never travelled so far in their life.
True. He even said as much. "If I wanted the Ring, I would take it - now!"
Old 09-07-2004, 07:06 AM   #83
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attalus
True. He even said as much. "If I wanted the Ring, I would take it - now!"
Faramir says a similar thing much later when the Hobbits find themselves in his power, so to speak, at Ithilien. (The Hobbits were pretty much at Aragorn's mercy at Bree too.)

There are actually a lot of parallels between Aragorn and Faramir.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 11:37 AM   #84
Telcontar_Dunedain

Did Faramir say that. I thought Sam said it was a chance for him to show his quality but Faramir told his he wouldn't take it if it lay by the road. So wasn't it Sam who made that suggestion?
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

Old 09-07-2004, 03:05 PM   #85
Attalus

Sam wouldn't need to make the suggestion. The Ring would be doing a lot of suggesting. Faramir just wasn't having any.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #86
Telcontar_Dunedain

No but it was Sam who actually voiced those thoughts.

Old 09-07-2004, 06:42 PM   #87
Attalus

True. It was the burning question on both the Hobbits' minds.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 AM   #88
Telcontar_Dunedain

But I don't think that Frodo would have said it though. He's the Ring bearer and at this stage of the journey he wouldn't even suggest that.

Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 AM   #89
Attalus

You are correct, IMHO. Frodo was much more circumspect, as he had been burned, at Bree.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:12 AM   #90
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
No but it was Sam who actually voiced those thoughts.
Oh, I think you're right. This is how he accidentally mentioned the Ring, right?
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 11:43 AM   #91
Telcontar_Dunedain

Yeah. The exact quote is 'rushes off to find copy of LotR'

Quote:
"Now look here sir!" He turned facing up to Faramir with all the courage he could muster. "Dont you go taking advantage if my master because his servant is no better than a fool. You've spoken very hansome all along, put me off my guard, talking of elves and all. But hansome is as hansome does we say. Now's a chance to show your quality"

Old 10-04-2004, 04:48 AM   #92
mewhmag
Sapling

this topic covers the maybe most important issue of all, in my opinion. haven´t read the whole thread yet, but i will do so sometime and throw in my views. for now i only want to add that what fascinates me so much is that the whole story, and the quests, are a tale of rejection (i am sure this has been discussed already) in many ways - not only the fellowship is tested, everyone is, also Galadriel and Gandalf of course. to reject temptation, not to become a slave of it, is important for all of them - for everyone. i am especially interested in the implications of christian values that make LotR so valueable - whatever the readers personal beliefs or views are.
mewhmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:36 AM   #93
Telcontar_Dunedain

Well everyone who came into contace with the Ring was tested. The Fellowship, Galadriel, Faramir etc.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM   #94
Attalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewhmag
this topic covers the maybe most important issue of all, in my opinion. haven´t read the whole thread yet, but i will do so sometime and throw in my views. for now i only want to add that what fascinates me so much is that the whole story, and the quests, are a tale of rejection (i am sure this has been discussed already) in many ways - not only the fellowship is tested, everyone is, also Galadriel and Gandalf of course. to reject temptation, not to become a slave of it, is important for all of them - for everyone. i am especially interested in the implications of christian values that make LotR so valueable - whatever the readers personal beliefs or views are.
Of course, the Christian view that resisting temptation makes the soul stronger is emphasised time and time again. Welcome to Entmoot, mewhmag.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:14 PM   #95
eyesofsorrow
Sapling

I think that she tested Merry with something that embarassed his honour and courage, because quoting, he said, " But, well, I don't think I'll say anymore," and ended lamely. (Beg pardon if its wrong, I don't have TT with me now)
But why would he be so... secretive...if he wasn't ashamed of some matter?
Old 01-08-2005, 10:33 PM   #96
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

A perhaps controversial observation:

>> If she knew that Boromir wanted the Ring that badly, would she have let them wander off together without warning Aragorn or Frodo?

Assume, for a moment, this is not Middle Earth we're talking about but an analogous sitatuation in our real lives where someone allows a person she has a basis for knowing is a real and imminent danger to others walk and then exactly what she foresaw occurs.

Like, say, you know someone who you're aware is planning a terrorist act like shooting up a school cafeteria but you don't stop, you don't warn the authorities, you just let him walk.

In today's world, someone who did that in real life would share in the ethical - if not legal - responsibility for the consequences.

The Elves of Mirkwood jailed Gollum when they knew he was after the ring (yes, Gollum escaped, but it was not intended).

IF (and I admit, I don't know for sure) Galadrial KNEW Boromir intended to take the ring and would act on that intent, she showed a surfeit of judgement and ethics in allowing him to depart with the Fellowship.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #97
Jon S.
Elven Warrior

Having slept on it, I would amend my above post in one respect. If Galadrial also foresaw the critical-ness of Frodo (and Sam) leaving the rest of the company to travel on alone, then perhaps there's an argument, however weak and incredibly risky (Boromir came *so* close to actually getting the ring), for it being the correct thing to do to not interfere by detaining Boromir.
Jon S. is offline   Reply With Quote