Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-02-2002, 02:23 PM   #21
Pailan
Elven Warrior

Just to chime in here... I have several friends who work in book shops who report to me that the overwhelming sales in all thing Tolkien has left them short on words to say to customers... but that's a good thing. I haven't tallied up all my friends and family who have received LotR for a holiday gift yet but it's pretty high. So yes the movies have a very strong positive effect on the books and creates new readers.
Pailan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 09:25 PM   #22
bropous
EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMED
DCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO

EXCELLENT analogy, Kevin! Another insightful hobbit whose toe hairs should never fall out!

I wonder, had there been Internet discussion groups back then, how many Biblical "purists" would have been foaming at the mouth because this or that detail was missing from the Ten Commandments, and how much grief Cecil B DeMille would have gotten! Too long, too much time spent on the whole Moses/Nefartari love stuff [oooo! THAT'S not in the book! Threw her in solely for EYE CANDY, she's too tough, no way Rameses I would have allowed his daughter to go to the prison], who the heck is this Dainan character and why was he added, blah, blah, blah.

Just me humble Entingish opinion.....hope I ain't getting too "tree-ish"!
"...[The Lord of the Rings] is to exemplify most clearly a recurrent theme: the place in 'world politics' of the unforeseen and unforeseeable acts of will, and deeds of virtue of the apparently small, ungreat, fogotten in the places of the Wise and Great (good as well as evil). A moral of the whole (after the primary symbolism of the Ring, as the will to mere power, seeking to make itself objective by physical force and mechanism, and so also inevitably by lies) is the obvious one that without the high and noble the simple and vulgar is utterly mean; and without the simple and ordinary the noble and heroic is meaningless." Letters of JRR Tolkien, page 160.
bropous is offline   Reply With Quote