Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2001, 09:14 AM   #1
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Confusion!

Just a few quick questions that confuse me in the book:

1 When is the famous sword re-made? There is alot of songs about how the sword is broken but then it is suddenly re-made with out alot of fuss and appears in Aragorns hand?

2 Are there Ents in the Shire? "Walking" Elm trees are mentioned in the begining of the FOTR but then it is never cleared up?

3 Rosie says she expected Sam around Spring time - this was the time of year that the ring was destroyed so could she and everyone else in Middle Earth feel the passing of the evil?

Thankyou
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 02:54 PM   #2
Lightice
Elven Warrior

1. In books, it was reforged at Rivendell in time Fellowship was waiting for scouts to return. In movie Aragorn get's it when he leaves to the Paths of the Dead.
2. No. I guess, that they were either trolls, some unknown giants or just rumors.
3. I doubt it...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 04:10 PM   #3
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Here's my answers:

1. It's remade in Rivendell, before they set out. This is mentioned in the narrative of Book II, Chapter III. You don't actually see the reforging, though.

2. No one can be sure what the walking elm tree was. I believe Michael Martinez fancies it really is a walking tree. That is: an 'Entish' tree, wandering out from the Old Forest.

3. I don't think so. I don't know why she would expect him around spring-time. Perhaps that's when Sam told her he'd be back. Knowing Sam, it's reasonable to suppose that that's when he actually thought the affair would be finished with. Maybe he half-expected it to be a pleasant trip to Rivendell and back.
Old 12-29-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Re #3: or maybe Sam thought he'd better be home by then to plant the garden.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 03:41 AM   #5
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

Sam had no reason to believe he would be going farther than Rivendell when he left the Shire.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 12:33 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Confusion!

1. It was reforged by Elven smiths at Rivendell who were extremely talented Sword Smiths.
2. I think that it was purposely left unclear. I believe that it is one of the Ent-Wives
3. No idea.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 01:27 AM   #7
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

She might not have even known he was coming back in the spring. Just might have been hoping that and reassuring herself that it has to be true. Sam HAS to come back in the spring, like someone who hangs on to a hope of someone coming back..just a theory...a rather loose and poorly explainded one i'm afraid.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2002, 02:54 AM   #8
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

I think there is some confusion on the dating. Sam and Rosie were married in the Spring of 1420, but he left the Shire with Frodo in September of 1418 and returned to the Shire on October 30, 1419.

Sam tells Frodo in "The Grey Havens" that, when he spoke to Rosie about getting married (he apparently wanted to defer it longer), she replied that he had wasted a year already.

So, I can see where it would seem like Rosie was implying she expected Sam back in the Spring of 1419, but I'm not so sure that is what the text means. I think it means that if he hadn't gone off in the first place, they could have been married the previous Spring (of 1419).
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote