Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Hobbit (book)
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-20-2001, 12:58 AM   #1
bryter
Sapling

The Hobbit online

I have found some books available in their entirety online, such as The Last of the Mohicans. Is the book The Hobbit available online? It has been over 25 years since Tolkiens death, so there should be no copyright infringements by someone putting The Hobbit online available for download.
bryter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2001, 01:24 PM   #2
webwizard333
Elf Lord

I don't know copywrite laws, so I can't help you there. There are plenty of spoofs, but I've never heard of free books online (unabridged that is). Btw, I know its off topic but is Last of the Mohecians good? I just got it down at the library (yes or no, this isn't the place to discuss it)?
Old 12-20-2001, 08:02 PM   #3
bryter
Sapling

Try http://digital.library.upenn.edu/books/

Or do a search for "online books." All books ever published before 1923 are available online for download free of charge or soon will be. There are probably better sites than the one I posted, I just picked the first one that came up when I did a quick search.

After 1923, whether a book can be put online becomes a murky issue to understand. The web sites themselves dont give a solid answer. So I was hoping someone reading this would know where a copy of the Hobbit online would be or if it is illegal to put it online.

I tried reading the Last of the Mohicans before I saw any movie based on the book. I never even got halfway through it because I had trouble reading the old style English it uses. After seeing the latest movie, I would like to give it another try though.
bryter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2001, 09:57 PM   #4
ringbearer
Elf Lord

I downloaded a copy of "The Hobbit and Lotr" for Acrobat reader.
Go to this thread. Bmilder tells of a place where you can get it...you have to register, it's free with no strings attached.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2001, 02:05 PM   #5
GrooveAttack
Sapling

hey, cool. ill get em, altho i already have both already
GrooveAttack is offline   Reply With Quote