Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #41
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar_Dunedain
I wouldn't say he bore Morgoth's malice more than anyone. I'd say Hurin and his kin did. I'd say he bore Glaurungs hate more than anyone, but not Morgoth's.
Last time I checked, Turin was Hurin's kin...

Why would he have borne Glaurung's hate more than anyone else? The only thing I can remember him doing to Glaurung (and I haven't read the story too recently... I can never seem to get past Tol-in-Gaurhoth anymore ) is killing him... And by then it's too late for Glaurung to hate much of anyone...

Neil Gaiman
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 05:34 AM   #42
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire

Why would he have borne Glaurung's hate more than anyone else? The only thing I can remember him doing to Glaurung (and I haven't read the story too recently... I can never seem to get past Tol-in-Gaurhoth anymore ) is killing him... And by then it's too late for Glaurung to hate much of anyone...
Maybe Glaurung had some sort of premonition that Turin was a danger to him: he did, after all, wear the Dragon-helm (which was said to have been made in defiance of Glaurung).
Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 AM   #43
Durin1
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I've heard of this destiny of Turin, but I've never actually found it anywhere. Where is it? What is it? Is it an Elvish prophecy, one given by Men, or by the Valar?

Yes, he does bear more of Morgoth's malice, but is this necessarily because Morgoth hated him more than anyone else? Could it have been rather that Morgoth could effect him more than he could effect others?
Discussions on Turin's destiny occur sporadically in a couple of the HoMe books. I'll have to have a search to locate exactly where.
Old 12-06-2004, 12:34 PM   #44
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

Quote:

What I meant was Turin alone didn't bear Morgoth's hate more that anyone else. Hurin and his kin did, not just Turin.
With Glaurung he alone defied him at the fall of Nargothrond. And as Durin said, Turin wore the Dragon Helm wich was in defiance of him.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #45
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durin1
Discussions on Turin's destiny occur sporadically in a couple of the HoMe books. I'll have to have a search to locate exactly where.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telcontar Dunedain
With Glaurung he alone defied him at the fall of Nargothrond.
Hey... Fingon shot Glaurung...

Then again, Fingon's already dead...

Neil Gaiman
Old 12-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #46
Telcontar_Dunedain
Warrior of the House of Hador

But when Fingon shot at Glaurung he wasn't full grown to man/dragonhood. When Turin defied him he was at the height of his power.
Then Huor spoke and said: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men. This I say to you, lord, with the eyes of death: though we part here for ever, and I shall not look on your white walls again, from you and me a new star shall arise. Farewell!"

The Silmarillion, Nirnaeth Arnoediad, Page 230
Telcontar_Dunedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 01:51 AM   #47
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

Fingon still shot him.

I'd think that being shot when just a child would have some serious psychological damage. I'm surprised poor Glaurung even got over it...

*reads post*

*reads the last few posts*

Wow. That was horribly Off Topic.

Neil Gaiman