Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Writer's Workshop
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-15-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

The Silver Light

Hello, I am Pip, this is my newest story, which I have just started. I love getting feedback, and constructive critisism. Please tell me what you think. This story is untitled for the moment, but I named the thread The Silver Light for reasons known only to me (and maybe Akamai)

Intro
What is time? It is here, it is gone, and we can do nothing about it. Time is forgotten. Days of old are slipping through our fingers like fine sand. Will they be remembered? Will anyone hold these memories in their hearts? Those memories must never fall into myth. May the Maker shine her light on the people of this world. May we not forget what must be remembered. May the shadow never sweep over our good world again.
-Aisanea Painfeld

If I can stop one heart from aching, I shall not live in vain. -Emily Dickinson

But the Master comes, and the foolish crowd
Never can quite understand
The worth of a soul and the change that is wrought
By the touch of the Master's hand.

Though she be but little, she is fierce! -MSND
PippinTook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 12:44 AM   #2
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Chapter one; The White Stag

The sun peeked over the Teeth of the World. It warmed the grass and tall pine trees. It seeps down the valley and into White Stag. Into Joneil Miranor’s window it crept, slowly but surely lighting the small, humble room.
Joneil, called Jon by most, shut his eyes tightly, trying to stop the inevitable light from waking him from his dreams. Not extraordinary dreams, just the regular kind one might have, of holidays and big meals on picinic tables by the creek. But the light won the battle and Jon slipped groggily out of bed and into his breeches.
He stumbled into the kitchen, almost tripping over a bucket.
“’Mornin’” his father said through a mouthful of breakfast. “You look tired, get enough sleep?”
Jon shrugged and stuffed a peice of bacon in his mouth.
“No matter, we have lots of work to do today. This is our last chance to harvest before the winter frost comes and I need you to take a few bundles into town. Master Yurin will buy it from you, though sales seem to be going down this year.”
“Okay, can I take Tivey this time?” Jon asked. Tivey was their horse. Usually, Jon had to drive the mule, Fora, who was more stubborn than a rock.
“No, I will need Tivey for plowing. Fora is just as able.” his father replied indifferently.
Jon knew better than to agrue. His father, Jonah, was a hard man to move once he got his mind set on something. Jon had inheirited this charactaristic, so between the two of them, they could be more stubborn than four Fora’s put together. Jon and Jonah lived alone in their small house. Jon’s mother had died giving birth, and he knew nothing else of her. They led a simple, but good life. Jon had just finished First School, and would probably grow up to be a farmer like his dad.
“No time to lose, come on boy.” said Jonah, taking a swig of water and heading out the back door.
At noon, Jon loaded the last of the corn into the cart and hitched Fora, the mule, into the harness. He hopped in the seat and waved goodbye to his dad who was sitting on the porch, smoking his pipe.
It was not far to White Stag, about five miles and Jon was there before he realized it. He waved to a few people he knew, stopping to chat here and there. He pulled the cart to a stop in front of Master Yurin’s market.
“No, sorry, no prunes in yet. Most got dried up last week.” he heard the man saying to a woman who was trying to buy something.
Yurin was a big man, and always wore a white apron with a smiling peice of fruit on the front that read, ‘Yurin’s Market’. The smile of the fruit was not quite as big as the one on the man. Yurin’s smile was as big as a clown’s. His face went into wrinkles every time he laughed.
“Jon! What have you got for me today?” the man asked as he arranged some apples in a basket.
“The last of the corn, Master Yurin.” Jon replied, nodding to the cart.
“Oh, so it is! Well, help me load it into the back, there’s a lad!” said Yurin in a big booming voice.
Jon was more than happy to oblige. Master Yurin usually gave him an apple or pear to have on his way back to the farm.
“How is you dad?” asked the large man.
“Just fine. He was worried about this year’s crop, but it turned out alright. The goats seem to be uneasy about something, but I think its just a storm coming.” Jon replied, setting down the last basket of corn in the shed.
“Good to hear , good to hear indeed.” said Yurin with a rumble. “Have an apple, boy, we seemed to get alot of them this year. Old Lobel Petwig said they all just sprung up this year, but personally I think he’s been feeding them some of that ale he claims not to have.” Yurin suddenly shook with laughter, his face breaking out into a huge smile.
“Thank you, Master Yurin.” Jon said as he took a shiny red apple.
“Any time, lad, come back!” Yurin called as Jon went out the door.
Jon took a bite out of his crisp apple and led Fora down the dusty street. He walked past herb shops and smithies. He knew the owners of them, and could even name all their children. Holly’s Herbs and Spices, that was owned by Holly Oakinsten, she had five boys. Jon winced. Those had to be the most obnoxious children he had ever met. All were younger than he, and infatuated with him and his best friend Stev.
The next shop he knew very well. That bookshop was owned by Sammuel and Pansy Polise. They had four boys and one girl, named Kira. Kira and Jon had been friends ever since the Polise’s had moved there four years ago.
Jon tied Fora’s reins to the gate post and let her have the rest of his apple. He pushed open the door, which gave a little ring. It was a small shop, the walls lined with bookshelves. A few comfortable chairs sat in the middle where people could sit and read. Pansy Polise stood at the counter talking with a lady friend quietly.
“Oh, hello, Jon! Nice seeing you, Kira is out back.” said the woman with a sweet smile. “There are some muffins in the kitchen, help yourself!” Mrs. Polise always had something baking.
Jon nodded, “Thank you, Mrs. Polise, I’ll do that.” with that, he walked out the back door and grabbed a hot muffin from the kitchen before stepping out into the yard. It was a nice place with a couple trees and a little garden.
Kira was sitting lounged under a tree with a book in one hand and an apple in the other. She was wearing pants, because she always refused to wear dresses. She made for a comical sight with her hair in a messy ponytail and her glasses falling off her nose which was stuck in the book.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:47 AM   #3
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

“Hey, bookworm.” Jon said smiling plopping down by his friend.
“Not now.” Kira mumbled, waving a hand at him. “Just got to the good part.”
Jon laughed, “Of course, how silly of me.” He waiting and looked at her, trying to read over her shoulder.
Suddenly she jumped up and cried out.
“What is it?”
“You would know of you took some time away from your spear throwing and Battle Board playing to read a book once in a while!”
Jon shrugged, “I have to work on the farm, especially now that we are done with First School and dad can use me.”
“Yes, but when winter comes some of us will be going away for higher education.” she put heavy emphasis on education.
“Not me. I am going to stay here and grow up to be a farmer just like my dad. Thats what we do. What am I going to do with ‘higher education’?” he said mockingly.
“Yes. You stay here and become an old lazy lout just like the rest of them! You are smart, Jon, you can take that and do something with it.” Kira sounded exasperated.
“What are you going to do with your grand knowledge and wisdom? And where are you going to get it?”
“You can do anything with the know-how. And I hear that the school in Farbs is very accomplished, and its not far away from home.” Kira said.
“Did you know that three quarters of the people here have never moved twenty miles away from where they were born? And only a small portion have even been to Farbs.” said Jon.
“I’m not like all those people.” Kira said indignantly.
“No,” Jon smirked. “No, you’re not.”
Kira punched him in the arm and Jon winced, then laughed.
“What are you two knuckle heads up to?”
It was Stev. Stev had been Jon’s best friend as long as he can remember, and Kira’s friend as long as Jon had been. He looked scraggly with his short brown hair all sticking up and his pants torn. His family had a farm near Jon’s.
“Talking about what we are going to do with our lives.” replied Kira.
“Oh, well, I am going to be a farmer just like my Pop.” said Stev, hopping over the fence.
Kira rolled her eyes, “You two are something, you know that?”
“What?” asked Stev. “Thats what my Pop did, and its a good living, too.”
“Sure, but-” Kira sighed. “Oh, nevermind I’ll never change you too. You men are so stubborn! Like stones. Worse than stones, because you can talk!”
“I’ll second that.” came a voice from the other side of the fence. Nanita was the last of this circle of friends. She was a year older than them, being sixteen, but not any less close. She was very pretty, with strawberry-blonde hair and blue eyes.
“I knew you’d take her side.” Stev said.
Nanita hopped down from her gray horse and tied his reins to the fence. “Of course you would be the one arguing, Stevan.”
“Don’t call me that! You sound like my mom.” Stev grimaced. “I get enough of that at home!”
“What do you think, Nanita? Do you think we should go to a Second School?” Kira asked, sitting beside her friend on the fence.
“Of course, I mean, its not like I mean to stay here and become a housewife just like all the other women.” Nanita replied. “In fact, Father sent a letter to the Second School in Farbs, and I might get in. My marks were always fair in First School, though never so good as yours, Kira.”
“That’s wonderful! I should have dad send a letter too! Wouldn’t that be fun! I hear they have a whole building devoted to books. Think of it! A whole building filled with stories and poems and text books.”
Jon gave Stev a worried frown. “You’re not serious, right?”
Nanita and Kira stopped their gleeful fantasies to look at him. “Of course we do, wood brain!” said Kira. “You don’t really think I will stay here to become an old woman, sitting with all my twelve children, knitting stockings until I waste away!” Nanita said, her voice raising and her eyes becoming dangerously large.
Jon seemed to shrink. “No, thats not what I meant at all!” he stammered. “Its just that-” he mumbled the last part.
“Thats what I thought.” said Nanita with a satisfied smile. She always seemed to get her way.
“Ahem, uh, you all excited about the town picnic tomorrow?” Stev asked, obviously looking for a change of subject.
“Oh yes, should be wonderful! We all expect you and your dad to tell us all a story, Stev.” Nanita said, her face lighting up.
Stev grinned, “Why of course! Pop’s already decided on which of our fabulous tales to delight you all with.”
“Which one?” asked Kira. “I do hope its Queen Alari’s Mistake! That one’s my favorite.”
“You will see.” said Stev with a proud smile. “It’s a surprise.”
“That we will. I bet you all three bronze peices that I win the spear throwing contest, for the third year in a row!” Jon said with an arrogant air.
“I’ll not take you up on that bet.” said Kira with a grimace. “I have to say, you are better than I am.”
“Oh, Kira don’t! You’ll make that wooden head of his explode with all that encouragment!” said Nanita lightly.
“You’ll be singing, won’t you, Nanita?” said Jon in a feigned interested voice.
“I suppose I will. I have been every year.” said Nanita in what seemed to be a blush.
“Well, then, its all set! This should be a grand picnic! Why all we need is fireworks to top it off and ten jugglers and we would have a regular festival!” Kira said.
“That reminds me, Father said that he has a surprise for us all tomorrow, though I can’t say I know what it is.” Nanita said.
“Knowing him, he probably paid for the Queen to march down here and play Battle Boards with us all.” joked Stev.
Nanita’s father was wealthy and often paid for entertainment to come from surrounding towns. In fact, the Aimer’s were known as the wealthiest people in White Stag. Nanita lived alone with her father, and was the apple of his eye.
“Kira!” Mrs Polise called from the kitchen. “Time to put that book down and see to your chores!”
Kira winced. “Well, see you all tomorrow!”
“I should be getting home too.” said Nanita, as she climbed back over the fence and untied Falcon’s reins.
“Bye, Nanita.” said Stev. “We should get going too. Your dad will be wondering if Yurin stuffed you full of apples before long.”
Jon nodded. “Want a ride?”
“Why not? If you think that old mule can take my weight.”
The two of them said goodbye to the Polise’s and headed down the dirt-packed street and to their homes. Tomorrow would be a day to remember.

How'd you like it? The charactars? Interested yet? I know, nothing has realy happened.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:46 PM   #4
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Chapter 2, The Stranger

Jon woke early the next morning. He was excited about the day to come. He ran into his dad’s bedroom and practically dragged him out of bed and into the cart.
“No time for breakfast!” he called as his father blundered after him.
It was a beautiful day for a town picnic. The sun was beating, but a warm breeze played with your hair when you turned.
Jon hitched Tivey to the cart (Fora would be taking the day off) and tossed his throwing spear in the back and clicked for Tivey to start off,
“It’s supposed to be a good party this year.” said Jon. “Rumors of a juggler around town.”
“Never listen to rumors boy, they are nothing but falsity and stories started by men who had too many ales more often than not.”
“Natalia said her father had sent for something big this year.”
“Did she now, I wonder what old Aimer has up his sleeve. I wouldn’t put it against him to call for a juggler. The man overdoes himself.”
“Aha! So you admit it! There is a juggler coming!”
“I said no such thing! Don’t jump to conclusions. Just like a woman.”
Jon smiled. This would be a day he would not forget. He clicked to Tivey again, sending the mare into a brisk trot.
“Whoa, now! Don’t be too hasty! We will arrive soon enough without your running the horse down.” Jonah said, taking the reins from his son,
And they did arrive soon after, though it seemed like ages to Jon. He leapt out of the cart and tied Tivey next to the other cart horses. The town picnics were held just outside the town, in a little circle of trees. It was called the Picnic Grounds because of this. It had lush green grass and a bubbling creek running right through the middle. That day in that little copse would be held races, contests for strength, spear throwing, dart blowing, cart pulling, and sac races and tresure hunts for the younger children. Some of the farmers would show their best livestock and prizes would be given out left and right. Some of the men would bet on who would win certain events, but the women never liked that much. The women showed off their handiwork, quilts, baking, clothes. The young people would often dance around a big fire when evening fell.
Over all, it was an event that no one missed. Every man, women and child were there and all had a marvelous time. No one was ever left out.
Jon quickly found his friends who were all buying sugar-coated appled from Master Yurin.
“There you are, Jon!” called Stev, who was grinning ear to ear.
“Have an apple, they’re delicious!” Kira said through a mouthful. She, for once, had her hair laying on her shoulders and not in a ponytail, though she still failed to don a dress.
Natalia was another matter. Her dress was pale yellow and she had little flowers intertwined in her hair. She looked quite lovely and got quite a few looks from some of the young men.
“Jon, you would not believe who came into town last night!” Natalia said, handing him a sticky apple.
“A juggler!” Jon exclaimed.
“No, a stranger, and an outlander by the looks of it.” she said.
“A stranger? Here in White Stag? What is he here for, to buy produce?”
“He doesn’t seem the type to be going into farming towns and buying tobacco and roots.” said Kira.
Jon felt uncomfortable. A stranger, here? He can’t mean us trouble. He did not voice his worries.
“Well, this should be an eventful day!” he said lightly.
“Indeed! Look, the footrace started! Let’s go watch!” Kira said, almost skipping to where the men were shooting off towards the town.
They watched the footrace and the goat showing (Jon had no goats to show this year). Stev’s mother won the quilt contest and Mrs. Polise won the muffin baking one. Soon, it was time for the spear throwing and Jon and Stev got ready.
There were six other men standing in a row facing the hay bales that served for targets.
“Throwers get ready,” shouted the startman. “And, throw your spears!”
Jon hefted his spear with all his might, landing it with persision just left of the bull’s eye. He looked over at Stev’s spear and winced. It had landed two feet short of the target.
“Better luck next time.” he whispered.
“Obviously, the winner is-” began the startman loudly. “Master Alani!”
Jon blinked. “Who?” he asked. He looked down the row of targets and gasped. The last target had been hit right on the bull’s eye.
“Who is this Alani fellow?” asked Jon, dumbfounded that he had been beaten.
“You’ll see.” said Stev.
A tall man with light hair and strange features retrieved his spear. Jon had never seen him before in his life. He was taller than Jon, which was very tall and had tan skin. His eyes were green, which Jon found to be very odd. He seemed to move like a cat, swift and smooth. He sauntered up to Jon and smiled slightly.
“You threw well, farmer.” he said with an accent that Jon could barely understand.
“Thank you.” mumbled Jon. This man had to be the stranger. Who is he?
“See what I mean?” asked Natalia.
“Where is he from?” Jon asked, still staring at the man’s back.
“Not from around here. Maybe he is from somewhere down south,, like Blue Stone.” Stev shrugged.
“Stev, I don’t think he is from Lestanin.” Kira rolled her eyes.
“Oh well, just because he beat me and Jon at spears doesn’t mean I’m going to tell some outlander ruin all my fun! Come on, lets eat, I am starved.” Stev said, running off to where the women were unpacking food.
“That boy always has food on his mind!” said Natalia.
“I could go for some of your mother’s muffins about now, Kira.” said Jon.
“I don’t think she has any left, all the judges ate them.” Kira laughed.
They sat down on the green grass with a meal spread out in front of them. Cold meats with brown gravy, jellies and sauces ready to dip, crisp vegtables and juices fruit, hot scones and biscuits that flake, cold cordial to wash it all down with.
By the end of that meal, they were stuffed to the brim and had to sit in the grass for a while. They watched the children hop in potato sacks and have mud slinging fights that left them being washed in the creek by their mothers. Jon had seen no more of Alani of which he was very thankful.
Then Stev and Jon went into a tournament of Battle Boards. Battle Boards is a game played by two people and consisting of a checked board and thirty pieces, fifteen a person. One person plays the black pieces, the other plays the white. Stev had always been a superior Battle Board player and beat his friend every time.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:52 PM   #5
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Before they knew it, evening crept upon the happy party. A huge bonfire was made in the middle of the trees, but far enough away not to burn anything. Young men and women danced around the fire, two of which who were Stev and Natalia who were both very good dancers and made a good team. Not long afterward, Mr. Aimer, Natalia’s father, stood up to make an announcment.
“Hello good people of White Stag. I know there have been rumors of Jugglers sweeping over the town, and I have not done you wrong. Far away from our good capitol of Farbs, I bring you, Mistress Yanani and her amazing fireworks!”
With that, a loud popping noise was heard and a stream of light burst into the air. It was unlike anything Jon had ever seen. Fire and light exploding into the black night like stars. This was more than he had ever imagined. The fireworks burst into different colors and swirls. One looked like a hawk, another like a snake. It was like magic. Showers of sparks floated down like butterflies, but dissappeared before hitting the earth.
But eventually the amazing firework display had to end and Mistress Yanani stood and bowed while everyone applauded. After that, all the people were half expecting dragons to pop out of the sky.
Next, Jon knew, would be Mr. Grutner’s story. Stev’s father was an amazing story teller and Stev was taking after his father. They could weave a tale from their words like silk, and wrap it around you until you felt it. But it was not Mr. Grutner who stood in front of the fire. It was Alani.
Mr. Grutner came and sat beside Stev.
“What’s going on, Pop?” asked Stev.
“Master Alani there says he’s a real Teller, so I said he would have to take my place.”
Tellers were men and women who could weave stories and make you believe that they really happened. It was very rare for one to be in this remote a country. Jon had heard that there had been one in Farbs for their annual Harvest Festival, but he had never suspected one to come right into White Stag. Tellers were unual people, and often thought of as crazy. All the people sat eagerly waiting for the man to begin.
“Long ago, before the first Queen sat on the Silver Throne, before the Silver Tower stood, before this country, Lestanin was forged, there was a war.” His voice sounded like it was on the verge of singing and his accent only made it sound more like a song. “Dhin Bladeo, the Silver Light, led all the people of this world against the Night. He had the blessing of the Maker in his bones, and nothing could stand against him and his sword of fire. Wherever he weilded that sword, victory was sure to follow. He and his fourteen followers, called the Talented, defeated the Night. The Maker herself fought against the Mother of Night and banished her until her time came.” He looked around at each person sitting in the flickering light. He seemed to be searching their thoughts, and no one could sit still long under that unwavering gaze. “The Talented were known all over the world as the protectors and the fighters against shadow. And so it was. The world was peaceful again. Those who saw the Great Battle died but that memory was passed on. Few who live today truly know what happened and remember what must never be forgotten.” Now he had a far away look in his eyes. “Remember what you have heard this night, not many have the privelege that I have given to you.” With that he nodded and Mr. Aimer stood and clapped.
“Thank you, Master Alani, that was a wonderful tale, and the way you presented it was phenominal! It is getting late and I think-”
Suddenly a shriek was heard from the direction of the town. It was like nothing Jon had ever heard. It was blood curdling and spine-numbing. Visions of death and decay burst into his mind. The people screamed and covered their ears. There was a rumble of thunder and a flash of lightning. It came to no one’s mind that there should not have been a storm that night.
“Stay calm, everyone!” Mr. Aimer tried to shout, but chaos was already swarming the copse. Women were trying to grasp onto their screaming children and men were trying to comfort the women unsuccessfully. Jon realized that Alani was gone.
Coward! Hr probably brought that thing here, whatever it is.
The shrieks continued, and some of the men grabbed onto spears and ran into the night towards the town. Jon grabbed his own, unsure of what he was doing. He had no idea of what it was, but he was only half concious of where we was or even who we was. Only the shrieking filled his mind. He yelled out, something incomprehensible, and saw the other men turn and stare. The lightning flared and thunder roared again.
He ran forward, spear clutched in shaking hands. About ten other men were with him, with the same white faces and knotted brows. Ahead, in the main lane of White Stag stood two figures. He could not see their faces, but one was a swirling mass of brown and gray and two long, curved blades. The other was shrouded in black from head to two.
Maybe it’s a theif or an assasin.

Old 04-15-2004, 09:56 PM   #6
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Suddenly, without warning the brown clothed man thrust one hand into the air and shouted something in a language Jon did not understand. A bolt of lightning came from the sky and hit his opponent. The black figure let out a scream that could rip apart mountains and teat down forests. For a moment, Jon could hear nothing.
Oh, no! I’ve gone deaf! But his hearing returned when the black shrouded man, if that’s what it was, hit the ground and was blown away by a sudden wind, like black sand.
Jon shook himself and looked at the charred spot on the ground where the black figure had been. The other man sighed and wiped sweat from his forehead and he sheathed his two blades at his waist. Jon was suprised to see that the man was Alani.
“You?” he stammered. “You–but–what was that thing?”
“Nightwalker.” said Alani, his voice solemn. “Nalaksinah to be exact. It’s worse than I feared.”
Jon stared at the man as if he had turned into a donkey. “Nightwalkers don’t really exsist.” he said shakily. “They are just children’s stories!”
Alani laughed a mirthless laugh. “Children’s stories, eh? I heard you farmers were stubborn, but I never thought you would still deny it after having seen a Talented defeat a Nalaksinah.”
“A T–Talented?!” Jon stammered, staring at the man.
“Of course. Surely you don’t think any everyday man can call lightning from the sky.” Alani’s voice was on the edge of annoyance.
“Okay, let’s say you are what you say you are, and that was a–a Nalakthingy, what are you and it doing in White Stag?”
“You really do know nothing of the world, farmer.” mumbled Alani. “The Talented search the world every five years for young men and women about your age that have potential, though I do not think there has been a Search this far north for a goof twenty-five years. Why a Nightwalker has come, I can not say.”
Jon knew a little of the Talented. Some younger children would tell you that they are as much a myth as Nightwalkers. But, as was proved there in front of him, Nightwalkers are as real as his left foot.
“So you mean to spirit away our children?” asked a man from behind Jon.
Alani turned his ice cold gaze on the man. “I do not mean to ‘sprit away’ your children. If I see one with potential for Talent, and it is their will, I will escort them to the Silver Tower. What is your name?” he asked, turning on Jon.
“Jon Miranor.” he replied, trying to sound defiant.
“Is that your full name, Jon Miranor?”
“Joneil. But everyone calls me Jon.”
Alani nodded as if satisfied. “I see potential in you, Joneil Miranor.”
Jon was taken aback, “Me? But–but I am a farmer and the son of a farmer!”
“The Talent can be found from under a rock.” said Alani. “We should talk. Is there somewhere we can be alone?”
Jon did not want to be alone with that man. “The Polise’s Bookshop.” he found himself saying.
Alani smiled, “Good. You are a very interesting young man, Joneil.”
“Just Jon.” Jon mumbled.
He found himself leading the man into the bookshop. In the name of the Maker, what am I doing?

Old 04-20-2004, 12:29 AM   #7
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Chapter 3
Jon sat down in one of the fluffy cushioned chairs in the middle of the bookshop, but it felt like cold stone. Alani took the chair opposite of him. The man pressed his fingers together and observed him in silence, those piercing green eyes boring into his forehead.
Jon shifted uneasily in his seat. “So, you think I have ‘potential’, Master Alani?” He was willing to say anything to divert the man’s attention.
“My name is not, Alani, I just use that when I travel, it is convenient. My name is Rainyn, I am a Dai Terai, a Talented.” said the man dissmissively. “And yes, I do believe you posses the beginings of the Talent. With guidance and studying you could become great.”
He uses a false name? Can he be trusted?
“How do I know you are really a T–Talented?” Jon forced out.
Rainyn looked at him for a moment, then pulled the leather glove from his left hand, turning it palm up. On it was branded a flaming sword. “That is the mark of Dai Sheri. Every Talented is marked such.” Rainyn gloved his hand again.
Jon shivered. “So, how do you know?” asked Jon shakily. Did he really want to know?
Rainyn chuckled. “I suppose you speak Old Speech quite frequently, do you?”
Jon was confused. “Excuse me? I’ve never spoken a word of Old Speech in my life.”
“Tonight you did. You did not realize it because your mind was fogged by the sound of the Nalaksinah, but you did. Ai serie Elharabin! Rach bah Narashak! All for the Silver Light. Death to the Nightwalkers. Those were the words you spoke.”
Jon stared open-mouthed. He couldn’t say anything. “Often young people with the Talent show signs. Stormy days that come suddenly, when you are angry. Ability to manipulate others, understanding animals. These are some of the signs of the Talent.”
Jon could remember sudden storms when he was in a row with someone. He still could not believe it. “What do I do now? I–I don’t want to control the weather and talk to my horse! I don’t want to be a freak!”
Rainyn’s eye brows raised. “Being a Dai Terai or Dai Tamai is not a problem that you must deal with or hide. We are not named the Forsaken or the Cursed. We are called the Talented because the Maker has given us gifts that no other posess. It is a blessing, Joneil, not a curse.”
“Why me?” mumbled Jon. “Why do I have to get this ‘blessing’.” he twisted the words and grimaced.
“I never expected it either. And four in one town, too. Most unusual.”
“Four? You mean there are more?” Jon brightened. “Who is it?”
Rainyn almost smiled. “A young man about your age, with a jaunty smile and a scruffy appearance.”
“That’s Stev! I knew it!”
“A girl, even though you couldn’t tell it behind all the dirt and glasses who–”
“Kira! Kira Polise!” Jon almost shouted. “She’ll get her higher education alright!”
Rainyn seemed annoyed that he was interupted. “And a pretty young lady, who’s father seems to own the town itself.”
“Why, that’s all of us then! Why, this shouldn’t be so bad after all, Rainyn!” Jon said with a laugh. Rainyn’s eyes grew bigger and Jon quickly added, “Er–I mean,, Dai Rainyn that is.”
All the Talented, or Dai Terai or Dai Tamai, depending of gender, added ‘Dai’ to the begining of their names to show their status.
“I have to go tell Kira, Stev, and Natalia!” Jon said as he leapt to his feet.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:37 AM   #8
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

okay, thats not quite the end of this part, but the end will come soon. FYI, I changed Nanita's name to Natalia. I have changed this on my computer, but not here. anywho, please tell me what you think!

Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 AM   #9
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I've read it thus far. Though I actually somewhat skimmed it- I zeroed in on certain parts that I found most interesting. There were parts where the dialogue tended to drag, as it was utterly unrelated to the story.

I'd advise adding in some more description to the story. Trying also to look at what you're writing somewhat objectively to see how things relate to the plot could also be beneficial.

Character development can be achieved while at the same time furthering the storyline. So I'd advise attempting to link the character development more to the story. Adding in some more visual images of what is going on. Scents, colors, lighting, expressions, things like that really add zest to the story.

I like how in the story you described tone of voice. That certainly added to the tale. The story thus far is also quite imaginative, and I'm glad you've got this interest. Keep with it!

I can't say whether or not I'll be continuing. I haven't been with the Writing Forum all that much, lately. But anyway, good work!
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 02:33 AM   #10
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Ah yes, I just recognized one of the significant problems I had when reading. That was the paragraphing. Ironparrot wrote a post that's currently on the top. When there's a double hit on return, rather than the single one we use in Microsoft Word, it helps the reading of the document on the format of Entmoot.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 AM   #11
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

thanks for reading it! I'll try to be more desciptive and try to link it to the future story-line and keep you interested. I know exactly what you mean. As for paragraphing, I noticed that the indentions on the paragraphs and italics never shows up when I paste it to the entmoot. Why is that? Like, when I write a personal thought, I italicize(sp) it, but that never shows up here, what should I do about it? Thanks again for going over it and telling me what you think, I'll try to work on those things that need help,
-Pip

Old 04-22-2004, 10:55 PM   #12
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

He bounded out the door and almost ran into his dad. His breath caught and his heart fell to his stomach. How am I going to tell him?
“Thank the Maker, Jon, don’t you dare run off like that again.” a sense of releif spread over Jonah’s face.
“Dad,” Jon said slowly. “Master Alani is not a Teller. He is a Talented, a D–Dai Terai, and his name is Rainyn. He said I have it. The Talent that is.” Jon forced out.
Jonah stared at his son for a moment, trying to decide if it was the truth or a bad joke. “Why, that just can’t be true.”
“Believe it, Master Miranor.” said Rainyn from behind Jon.
“Dad, I have to go to Dai Sheri. Kira, Stev and Natalia are going too, so I won’t be alone.” said Jon quickly.
“I know.” replied Jonah softly.
Jon’s eyebrows shot up. He had said that, but he didn’t mean it, and he definately wasn’t expecting his father to just agree. “But–but the farm! You need me, I can’t just leave!”
“There are three young men come up from Blue Stone who are looking for a good job, I am sure they can fill your shoes for now.” Jonah almost smiled.
Jon’s mouth worked, but nothing came out.
“What’s all the fuss?” said Kira, from behind Jonah. “It sounded like you all fought a battle up here.” she chuckled.
“Very near it.” mumbled Jon. “Kira, where are Stev and Natalia?” He did not want to have to explain it more than once.
“Here,” said Stev. “What’s going on?”
Rainyn stepped forward. “My name is Rainyn, I am a Talented from Dai Sheri, searching for young people with potential, which I have found here in White Stag. You, Natalia, Kira, and Jon are ready to begin your studies at the Silver Tower. I will be leaving in the morning.”
It took a moment for all his words to sink in.
Stev chuckled hoarsely. “Pop would kill me if I ran away like that.”
“Well, Kira, there’s your higher education.” said Jon.
“Yes, but, I wasn’t expecting it to come so soon. And Dai Sheri? That’s so far away from home.”
“I’m sure my father would be proud.” Natalia said, obviously trying to reassure herself.
“Well, it’s settled then, we leave in the morning. All of you meet me in front of this shop at sunrise.” Rainyn said shortly.
“He’s going to kill me.” Stev muttered.
“Well, you had better get home and get your things together.” said Jonah.
Jon gaped at everyone. It’s all going too fast! Everyone slow down and tell me this is just a dream! He felt as if the world was spinning by ten times as fast, leaving him in the dust. He followed his father mechanically, and barely noticed when he climbed into the cart, or when they arrived home, or when he fell on his bed and into uneasy dreams.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:09 PM   #13
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Chpater 4- Leaving

Jon found himself in a dark room. He shrank away as he took a deep breath. The air was hot and rancid, like death. It was like a dungeon, seething with decay and dead. He chocked and blinked, trying to find where he was. This is a dream. He shut his eyes tightly, trying to wake, but to no avail.
“Hello.” came a voice from the void.
Jon leapt into the air. “Who are you? Show yourself!”
A black shrouded figure stepped towards him. A faint glow settled around it.
Dear Maker, a Nalaksinah!
“I am no one for you to fear.” Jon was surprised to hear a woman’s voice. It was firm, but silky.
“Where am I?” asked Jon shakily.
“A prison. A death sodden trap.” the woman said venomously. “I have been trapped here for two thousand years.”
Jon stared at her. Her face and all other features were hidden beneath her hood but he did not think she was that old by her voice. “I am sorry.”
“But you, you can help me.”
“M–me? How can I do anything?”
“You can become great. I can help you to greatness if you set me free.”
“I don’t want to be great. I know how to help you.” Jon said helplessly.
The woman growled. “Do not joke with me, I know what you are! Only you can set me free of this dungeon!”
“I am just a farmer! I can not do anything but tend goats and plant corn!” Jon did not want to make this woman mad. No matter what she said, she sounded dangerous and she was not locked in this prison for no reason.
“Fool!” the woman leapt out at him, raising a dagger and stabbing into his chest.

Jon jolted into wakeness. Sweat dampened his clothes and matted his black hair. A bitter taste filled his mouth and a sharp pain stabbed at his chest.
Who was she? Where was she? What in the world did she do to me?
He stumbled out of bed and dunked his aching head into a basin. He shook his head like a dog and slipped into a shirt and breeches. He hastily stuffed a few extra clothes and a pocket knife into his pack. He busied himself in getting ready so he could forget the haunting dreams he had the night before.
“Jon,” Jonah was standing at the door. “It’s nearly dawn, we should get going.”
Jon nodded solemnly. “Yes. Yes, we need to leave.” Jon sighed heavily. “What am I doing?”
“Going to find yourself out in the big wide world.” Jonah replied.
Jon nodded, “Is that what I am doing?”
“Well, we have no time to doddle.” Jonah said gruffly, handing Jon’s pack to him. Jon nodded and plodded after his father. Jon suddenly saw the grain in the wood of the floors and it was the most important thing in the world. Swirling like a whirlpool of wood. He stumbled out of the house, his house. He realized that he would miss it. The warm feeling he got when he and his dad sat by the fire with a hot cup of cider. The cool spring nights when he would sleep under the stars. He even knew he would miss tending the goats and harvesting every autumn. He felt a sharp pang of sadness as he closed the door behind him. Closing the door on his childhood, closing the door on his home, closing the door on his memories. Closing the door on his life. That was not his life anymore.
He sat next to his dad in the cart and sat his pack in his lap. The trip was silent, Jon’s thoughts were on his memories. Stealing pies from old ladies’ windows, sitting in a tree eating an apple with his best friends, town picnics that lasted on into the night.
Slated roofs and smoking chimneys soon came into veiw. Jon wanted everything to go in slow motion. Just one more moment to think on his life. One more moment to remember.
His friends were already gathered in front of the bookshop. Natalia was absently patting Falcon’s nose and consoling her father who was bustling around about her, making sure she was comfortable. Stev was patting the heads of his four sisters who all clung to him, crying. Kira was hugging good-bye to her parents and hefting a bulky pack–undoubtably filled with books–on her back. Rainyn stood to one side, fading into the shadows of early morning.
“There you are, Jon. I thought you weren’t going to show.” said Stev weakly.
“I’m here.” Jon said.
“Good, good, that is everyone.” said Rainyn, stepping out of the shadows. Jon still had not adjusted to his strange accent. “I have bought plenty of supplies, including horses for those who lack it.”
Rainyn placed the lead of a brown gelding into his hand. The horse was healthy, but looked like he would rather be eating apples than traveling across the world. Natalia already had a gray stallion, her pride and joy. Falcon was known as the fastest horse in White Stag. Stev’s horse was a chestnut mare who pranced about as if she was stepping on hot coals. Kira was not one for horses and took her mare’s reins warily. The roan mare looked completely harmless and rather bored, but Kira was still uncomfortable.
“Say your good-byes, we leave as soon as possible.” Rainyn said monotonously.
They all hugged their parents, promising visits and letters.
Jonah clapped his hand on Jon’s shoulder. “Be strong and steadfast.” was all he said.
Jon nodded and climbed up into his saddle awkwardly. He did not ride often, and this gelding was very different from Tivey. He looked over at Rainyn who was mounting a black steed.
Natalia gasped, “That horse, is–is gorgeous!” she exclaimed.
Jon admitted it was very beautiful, for a horse. It was fairly small, and slender with a sleek black coat and mane. When Rainyn was settled, the horse nickered and flicked its tail as if to show them all he was superior.
“Thank you. Where I come from we need small horses with great endurance. Bashera is a good stallion and has served me well.”
Natalia sniffed, and Jon was sure she was slightly embarressed because Falcon was no longer the greatest horse in the world. He looks rather puny. Jon thought.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:12 PM   #14
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Rainyn lifted Bashera’s reins and the stallion leapt forward. Jon’s jaw dropped, the little horse was moving at twice the speed of the fastest horses in all the country. He booted his brown gelding forward and was followed by his three friends. At the edge of the town Rainyn halted his horse and waited for them.
“I am sorry, I failed to remember your steeds are not as speedy as Bashera. I doubt he remembered either.”–Natalia blushed– “We have no need to ride at full gallop, at a set pace we should arrive in Dai Sheri in two weeks.”
“Two weeks straight?” moaned Kira. “I don’t think I can bear a single day of this infernal riding, let alone two weeks!”
“You will survive more than that.” said Rainyn.
That doesn’t sound good. Jon looked at Rainyn for a while. He was definately a strange looking man. He had brown hair that was slightly wavy and out of place. He looked strong, but limber too. But the strangest thing about him was his eyes. He had emerald eyes that were as clear as day and as piercing as a knife. Atop that sleek black stallion he looked like a man from stories. He is a man from stories.
“What is his name?” Natalia rode up next to him.
“What?” he asked, coming out of his thoughts.
“Your horse, what did you name him?”
“Oh, I don’t know.” Jon shrugged. “Might as well name it ‘horse’.”
Natalia glared at him, then reached over and scratched his horse between the ears.
“His name is, Renn.” said Natalia matter-of-factly.
“If you say so.” said Jon.
“I call this one annoyance, or maybe Ghastly Beast.” said Kira.
“You have to get used to horses, Kira. You’ll be living on one for the next fortnight.” Natalia said, obviously not understanding how one could not love horses.
Stev groaned, “This...this saddle is already rubbing me in the wrong places.” he grumbled.
“Time for a stop.” broke in Rainyn.
Jon was surprised to see that it was already midday. They dismounted and tied their horses to trees while they sat on the ground, unpacking food. The surrounding country was grassy hills scattered with trees and streams.
They all ate silently, studying chirping birds, watching bees pollinate flowers, staring up at the sky, or simply staring at Rainyn, who did not seem to notice they were there.
“Time we move on, the sun sets below her peak.” he said abruptly.
All the others shared questioning glances, but followed their leader. After the horses had gotten a drink from a nearby stream, they set off again.
The rest of the day passed slowly and silently. A few tried to start a conversation, but failed miserably. The day cooled and soon evening fell on their small party.
Again, Rainyn called a halt and they ate quietly under the setting sun. The clouds were all painted pink and shadows danced across the mountains to the north. Rainyn lit a small fire to warm their meat.
“Do we have to sleep out–” A high-pitched squeal cut off Natalia’s statement.
“Everyone, move! Now!” Rainyn barked. He leapt into motion, stamping out the fire, unsheathing one of his curved blades, and leaping onto Bashera’s back.
Jon pushed Natalia towards Falcon, leaving his food pack behind him. Stev grabbed onto his mare’s mane and hefted himself up, as did Kira. Jon lumbered onto Renn’s saddle and booted the gelding forward. Their horses sprang into a gallop after two paces. Bashera leapt after them, but soon caught up.
“What is that thing?” yelled Jon over the wind and the shreiks they were fleeing from.
“A Nighthawk.” Rainyn replied solemnly.
“Can we out run it?”
“No one can out run or out fly a Nighthawk, farmer.”
“Then what in the world are we doing?” shouted Jon.
“I will do what I can, just run!” hissed the Dai Terai.
Rainyn reined his horse and stretched his right hand out toward the darkening sky. Jon dug his heels into Renn’s side, willing the horse to run faster. Natalia screamed and stopped Falcon, looking as if she was going back.
“Run, Natalia! For the Maker’s sake, just run!”
Natalia urged Falcon on, Jon stole a glance backward. Rainyn was calling out to the black sky, something undeterminable. No, not the black sky. It was a monstrous bird, its wings outstretched. Jon could make out blood red eyes and a beak that could tear stone like linen.
But from that gray sky came a roll of thunder. Suddenly, the Nighthawk shied away. A white lightning bolt streaked across the sky and found its target in the heart of that beast. The black, death eating hawk did not fall to the ground, it simply ceased to exsist. Rainyn drew a deep breath and Bashera bounded after the rest. They did not need Rainyn’s urging to dart away.
They galloped forward, not stopping, but the horses did not seem to mind. When you are escaping for your life you have no limit to how far you can run.
“Are we safe?” asked Stev when they finally slowed.
“Define ‘safe’.” Rainyn muttered.
“Are we going to be eaten?” exclaimed Kira indignantly.
Rainyn darted his spine-chilling glance to her. “No. I doubt there will be more than one Nighthawk that close together. You will live another day.” he said icily.
Another day.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:02 PM   #15
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Chapter 5; The Dai Tamai

Chapter 5 The Dai Tamai
Pink outlined the horizon, announcing that morning had come. Jon slumped in his saddle. Rainyn had pushed them on in the night without rest. He looked around at his friends. Stev was laying on his horse’s neck, eyelids drooping. Natalia was grasping onto the pommel of her saddle because it was the only thing keeping her up. Kira’s glasses were askew and she was growling at her horse. Only Rainyn seemed to be unaltered. He looked east at the rising sun solemnly. He was a strange man. He almost never smiled, but he was not cold. He was simply indifferent.
“Are we there yet?” panted Stev.
“No,” said Rainyn irritably. “There is a town due east where we can rest a moment, but we must get you to safety as soon as possible. Any arbitrary time we spend on the road could cost you your lives.”
“Cheery chap, isn’t he?” mumbled Kira to Jon.
Within an hour, Jon could make out signs of civilization, smoke stacks, wagons leaving dust clouds in their wake, and loosely shingled roofs.
“Welcome to Blue Stone.” said Rainyn.
“So this is Blue Stone.” Stev said, almost in awe.
The town was almost twice the size of White Stag, and was quite a sight for one who had never seen a town larger than a sparse two hundred people. There were stone buildings with two stories and large windows to display pots, dresses, knives, and all sorts of products.
Rainyn led them down a broad lane towards the middle of the town. There in the center of town square was a fountain that depicted two horses, rearing at eachother, both with water pouring out of their weathered stone mouths. Across the street was a three story wooden building, painted green and blue. The sign in front said, “The Stone Horse” and painted a replica of the fountain in front.
“It’s an inn.” Stev said softly.
Rainyn looked at him incredulously, “You mean you–” He shook his head. “Yes, it is an inn.”
“May I help you, sir?” asked a skinny little stable boy.
“Yes, we need you to stable our horses.” Rainyn replied.
A start of recognition crossed the boy’s face. “Why, Master Alani! Pleasure to see you again sir.” he said as he took the reins of the horses, being outwardly wary of Bashera.
Rainyn led his awestruck followers into the inn. The common room was large and warm, as a roaring fire burned at one end of the room. Tabled were scattered across the room, occupied by men drinking ales and smoking pipes while smiling at the serving girls. The whole place smelled of burning coals and pipe smoke.
A plump woman in a blue apron stepped up to them, her smile beaming. “Why, Master Alani, I am glad to see you back. I see you brought a few young ones along with you. I am sure you want rooms.” she said.
“Thank you, Mistress Bisser, three rooms please. And tell me, any news from outside?” Rainyn replied smoothly.
“No, not anything important.” replied Lami Bisser.
Rainyn nodded and followed the woman upstairs. Stev seemed extremely reluctant to leave the common room. Lami led them up to the top floor, giving them three rooms, one for Jon and Stev, one for Natalia and Kira, and one for Rainyn. Jon had never been up so high in his life. Natalia’s home was three stories, but he had never been past the second one.
The room was comfortable, with two beds with fluffy mattresses. A small fireplace crackled quietly. Jon fell on his bed without taking his clothes off, the squeaking spring told him Stev had too. A wave of weariness swept over him, along with sleep.

He opened his eyes and he was not in his room. He was standing at the top of a tower, over looking vast plains.
“Hello.” came a silky sweet voice.
Jon spun around, and stared at the woman that was speaking. She was draped in blue silks that matched her icy blue eyes. Blond hair fell about her shoulders like cascades of yellow silk.
“Who are you?” he asked shakily.
“I am Amalese, a Dai Tamai, Rhiadin to be exact.” said the beautiful woman with a confident air.
“Why are you in my dreams?” asked Jon, trying to keep his wits about him.
Amalese laughed, as clear as a bell. “You don’t know that much about the Talented, do you?”
Jon shuffled his feet. “Not much. But I suppose I will since I am going to be one and everything.”
Amalese’s eyes widened and then she smiled. “Of course. I should have known Rainyn would try something like this, I’ll never hear the end of it.” she half mumbled to herself.
“Excuse me, D–Dai Amalese, but how did you get here? I have never seen you before.”
Amalese jolted back to attention and turned her icy stare back on Jon. “There are–sections–of the Talented.” she began. “The Animea can communicate with animals. The Merian can control weather. The Rhiadin can touch the conciousness of human minds. Therefore, I can reach into the minds of people and walk in their dreams if I wish.”
Jon shuddered. She is in my mind? It was not a bearable thought.
“I was reaching for Rainyn’s mind, but found yours. I expected he would be here at this time, but I did not expect that he would be bringing you. You see, I can sense the Talent in people when I touch their minds.” Amalese spoke as if this were a casual conversation.

Old 05-11-2004, 11:07 PM   #16
PippinTook
The Infamous Tea Hobbit

Casual conversation my foot! She is in my mind!
“You are a very interesting person, Jon, very interesting.” Amalese ran her cold blue stare across him. He writhed under her daunting scrutiny. She was staring right through him and it was completely unnerving. “But I must leave. It was nice to meet you.”
Jon sighed audibly. “It was...a pleasure meeting you, Dai Amalese.” he said bowing jerkily.
Amalese smiled and everything went black
Jon woke with a start in his room at the inn. _Rainyn was waking Stev up unsuccessfully. _He looked out the window, the sun was a little over halfway up.
“How long did we sleep?” he asked with a yawn.
“Almost three hours.” Rainyn replied.
“I had the strangest dream.” mumbled Stev through his fist as he stifled a yawn.
Jon’s ears pricked. _“What kind of dream?”
“Well, there was this beautiful woman–she was more beautiful than Cora Jones if you can believe that–with silky golden hair and these eyes that were like ice, and she claimed to be a Dai Tamai.”
Jon frowned, So it was more than just a dream.
Rainyn muttered angrily beneath his breath. _“She has no right!”
Stev stared at the man. _“What are you talking about?”
“That was Amalese, I am sure of it! _She was checking up on me.” he growled. _“That–that woman has been hounding me ever since I became a Dai Terai six months ago!”
Jon had never seen the man be so venomous, or show that much raw emotion at all. _It startled him to realize that Rainyn was a relatively new Talented. _That must have put him at age twenty-five or so. _Somehow this seemed strange to him.
There was a knock at the door which opened to allow the two girls inside.
“Are you ready?” asked Natalia.
“The horses are saddled and ready to go.” said Kira with a hint of reluctance.
“Yes, let’s go.” growled Rainyn as he stomped out of the room.
“What was that all abot?” Kira asked.
“Some woman was in our heads.” said Stev.
Natalia and Kira gave him an incredulous look. “I bet that was just awful.” Natalia said.
Jon sighed. “Nevermind, let’s go. I don’t know if he will wait for us.” Jon most definately did not want to keep the man waiting in that mood.
They walked through the common room, mumbling apologies to Lami who insisted that they stay for a meal. Rainyn stood in front of the inn with the horses, rubbing Bashera’s nose fondly. He thrust Renn’s reins at him and leapt up into the black’s saddle, mumbling something about “meddlesome woman”. He spurred his horse ahead as the rest fumbled to climb into their saddles.
As the day went on, Rainyn calmed and resumed his cool composure, the man did not show outward emotion for long. As for the rest of them, they were simply bored. Their enthusiastic attitudes had waned, and the mundane scenery was disheartening. Kira and Stev mumbled on about blasted horses and stupid saddles until they were quieted by Rainyn’s icy looks. Even Natalia seemed to be uncomfortable in her embroidered saddle.
They did not see anymore cities like Blue Stone, only a few farming towns scattered here and there. They often stopped to stay the night with friendly farmers, the girls sleeping in beds while the boys slept in a barn loft. They all seemed eager to accommodate Rainyn.
And so went those ten days, stopping to eat and sleep, but otherwise staying in the saddle. Jon almost wished something would terrifying happen, just for a change. Almost.
Suddenly Rainyn reined Bashera, Jon looked up from his pommel to see why. Plain grasslands stretched across miles and miles ahead of them.
Stev groaned. “We have to cross that?”
“Yes. These are the Plains. Due east lays Dai Sheri, the Silver City, and the Silver Fortress of the Talented.” Rainyn said almost chanting.
“Dandy.” said Kira sighing. “Well, let’s get going. The sooner we get across this wasteland the sooner I can get off this fool beast.” She heeled her horse forward, earning a grumble from Natalia that sounded like “Animal hater”. With that Natalia shook her golden head and nudged Falcon on.
The plains were pleasant enough, though there was barely any sign of life, just the soft rustle of the tall grass and a few hawks that would wheel overhead, but too high to shoot.
“What are we going to eat?” Jon asked when he realized that there were no birds or conies to be had and their supplies were long gone.
“Just because you can not see game does not mean that it is not there.” Rainyn stated. “You just have to be careful and quiet to catch a meal out here.” With that he hopped out of his saddle and knocked an arrow in his bow. Jon dismounted also, grasping onto his throwing spear that he had been using as a hunting tool. Rainyn lifted his hand to halt Jon as he stalked through the long grass. With a sudden twang, Rainyn let the tension leave the bowstring. He picked up a rabbit by the ears with a small smile.
“You see, it’s not that hard.” He looked up at the blue sky, “It’s about noon, we should stop for a bite to eat.”
The rest dismounted, letting their horses nibble the tall grass. Kira knuckled the small of her back, and Stev was walking crookedly from saddle sores. Natalia did not seemed to be phased by the long riding, and neither did her horse. In fact, Falcon was prancing about gleefully, whinnying and knickering at the mare.
Soon Natalia had a fire started and Rainyn was cooking the rabbit. Jon sat heavily on the ground and looked around. Sitting, the grass came up to his shoulders, but they had managed to clear a bit away so they could sit and light a fire. Little bugs buzzed in the long stalks, he swatted a few away irritably.
“How much longer do we have out here?” he asked.
“Roughly four days if we keep at the pace we have been. I am surprised at you farmers, you haven’t had any trouble traveling so far.”
“No trouble my sore foot.” mumbled Stev as he rubbed an aching heel. Jon wasn’t sure, but he thought he saw an amused smile streak across Rainyn’s face, but it passed so quickly he could not tell.

Old 06-26-2004, 06:19 PM   #17
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Pippin, to answer your question about italics, you'll have to use vB Code. Put the letter "i" in brackets before the word you want to italicize, and then put "/i" (without the quotation marks, of course) after the italic word in brackets also. So you would get ilife/i, like that, only "i" and "/i" would be in brackets, producing: life.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:27 AM   #18
thranduil
Elven Warrior

i like your story so far. a few things though i felt at times that you were rushing the story along. Also i have a strange feeling that i am reading the "belgariad". when is the rest going to be available?