Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-15-2003, 04:42 PM   #21
Yapaluna
Enting

When I was young I was a fan of Heinlein, but nowadays I dislike his conservative, right-winged point of view. Besides of this, I still think that he´s a really good writer of sci-fi novels.

Farnham´s Freehold is one of my favourite books. Does anyone know "Have spacesuit - will travel"?
Yapaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Yapaluna
When I was young I was a fan of Heinlein, but nowadays I dislike his conservative, right-winged point of view. Besides of this, I still think that he´s a really good writer of sci-fi novels.

Farnham´s Freehold is one of my favourite books. Does anyone know "Have spacesuit - will travel"?
Yes, it's good, though not my favorite of his juveniles- that would have to be "Citizen of the Galaxy" , with "Tunnel in the Sky" as runner-up - why didn't they have subjects like that when I was in high school?

I'm a pretty leftish type myself, though I do appreciate RAH's libertarian streak. My favorite of his adult books is "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress."

One question- don't you find Farnham's Freehold to be somewhat, umm, racist? - I was actually quite disturbed by that aspect, since I'm absolutely sure that Heinlein was NOT a racist (so please, nobody out there flame me on that )

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 04:11 PM   #23
Yapaluna
Enting

Now that you mentioned it, well...

He describes a society which has racistic attitudes without giving a judgement as the narrator. I think RAH would have liked always the reader to think for himself and come to his own conclusions or judgements.

It is never quite clear, if Heinlein agrees with the characters in his books, e.g. Lazarus Long. Everybody is useful, and if only as a deterrent example.

Whatever he intended, his books are good work, always with a thrill.
Yapaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:59 PM   #24
Estel13
RPG-aholic Psycho

I have read a lot of Heinlein. My faves are Farmer In The Sky, Tunnel In The Sky, Space Cadets, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Time For The Stars, The Rolling Stones, and Podkayne Of Mars. The worst are Waldo & Magic, Inc, The Door Into Summer, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, and Starship Troopers. I liked the movie, myself. But that's me, and I'm wierd. Later.....
Old 07-06-2004, 12:04 PM   #25
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

I've read about a dozen (or more) Heinlein books. I think it was the first science-fiction I ever read. Found 'Between Planets' and 'Red Planet' at my school library in 6th grade. Went on to later read: 'Space Cadet' - 'Starship Troopers' - 'Stranger in a Strange Land' - 'Tunnel in the Sky' - 'Time for the Stars' - 'Farmer in the Sky' - ('Orphans of the Sky... was that the right name?) - 'Glory Road' - 'Revolt in XXXX AD (sorry - forgot the year! )' - 'Rocketship Galileo' - 'Menace from Earth' - 'Podkayne of Mars'... maybe some others...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:27 AM   #26
Lefty Scaevola
AngAdan

He had other talents. A project he worked on in WWII was so sensitive that is is still classified 60 years later.
Lefty Scaevola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:22 PM   #27
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel13
I have read a lot of Heinlein. My faves are Farmer In The Sky, Tunnel In The Sky, Space Cadets, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel, Time For The Stars, The Rolling Stones, and Podkayne Of Mars. The worst are Waldo & Magic, Inc, The Door Into Summer, The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, and Starship Troopers. I liked the movie, myself. But that's me, and I'm wierd. Later.....

How can you dislike The Door Into Summer...

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote