Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-03-2004, 05:11 AM   #41
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
FINALLY picked this up on my way home last night. Don't know when I'll be able to watch though - usually too little time each evening - and I have plans for the next couple Saturdays. Maybe I'll just have to watch it in increments. I DREAM of doing an extended edition marathon when the final one comes out, but wonder if I can actually swing it with the kids and all.
I have all three movies on DVD as well as the extended edition for the Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers. I will get the extended version for Christmas (I never have time to watch DVD's in Late November or December - school reports to write and all that Christmas stuff ).

My whole family plans to watch the three extended editions on Boxing Day as compensation for not being able to go to the movies to watch the next instalment! We will have a big sit in with feasting in between!!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:08 PM   #42
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Does anyone remember that big discussion we had on which finger is the "third finger" that Frodo wears the ring on? We were talking about if it was the third FINGER (the thumb not really being a finger, which would make it the "ring" finger), or the third finger-in-common-terms, which would include the thumb, and make it the finger that is sometimes used to make, um, gestures.

Well, Frodo in the movie gets his POINTER finger bitten off, which there is NO way you can make the "third" finger of the book - I just realized that yesterday! Did anyone else?
I was browsing through The Fellowship of the Ring book last night and came across this passage that has relevance here....

Quote:
He (Frodo) shut his eyes and struggled for a while; but resistance became unbearable, and at last he slowly drew out the chain, and slipped the Ring on the forefinger of his left hand.
Well!! How did we all miss that passage - it happened on Weathertop just before Frodo was stabbed.
Old 07-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #43
azalea
Long lost mooter

But the forefinger isn't the third finger any way you look at it. He must have used different fingers, then.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 05:33 PM   #44
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

I seems like it!! I am re-reading The Lord of the Rings at the moment. I will pay particular attention to any references to fingers and do a little tally!!
Old 07-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #45
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Sounds like fun! I don't remember the forefinger reference ... I'm re-reading LOTR for the discussion project, and I think I'll tally along with you

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 11:49 PM   #46
ethuiliel
Elf Lord

Is there any real reason why Frodo should wear the ring on the same finger every time he puts it on? Why shouldn't he put it on one finger at Weathertop and another in Mt. Doom? I understand why they used the forefinger in the Prancing Pony, because it would be awkward to catch it on any other finger, but that doesn't mean he has to put it on the same finger in Mt. Doom, and there it's important, because that's the finger he ends up loosing.

"'I would,' said Faramir. And he took her in his arms and kissed her under the sunlit sky, and he cared not that they stood high upon the walls in the sight of many. And many indeed saw them and the light that shone about them as they came down from the walls and went hand in hand to the Houses of Healing."
ethuiliel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 PM   #47
Thain Peregrin Took I
Thain of Randomness

When we got the DVD, it came with a little book that had LOTR stuff you can buy. Once we got in the car, me and my sister also fought to see who would look at it first. It had stuff from LOTR like Sting, the Ring, etc.

I understand why Peter Jackson had Frodo use his pointer finger at the Prancing Pony. As Elanor the Fair said, it would be hard to catch it with your ring finger. But why was the wrong finger bitten off at Mount Doom?!?

Monk: I'm 100% sure that she probably killed him.
Stottlemeyer: What does that mean?
Monk: 95%...

I feel like Pepé Le Pew when he look up "pew" in the dictionary. *French accent* Le pew? Moi? Noo. -Shawn Spencer

*British accent* It's a bobble head Bobbie! *head bob* -Special Agen Seely Booth
Thain Peregrin Took I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 06:55 PM   #48
paulbaggins
Sapling

Gandalf

well I must admit that I love the trilogy. My favorite scenes in ROTK;
1- When EWoryn rips of her helmetand states "I AM NO MAN"
2- Sam & Frodo on the rock in lava . before the eagles show up
3-Aragon bowing to the Hobbits , very classy\
4- teh dep[arture frome the port of Bilbop Frodo and compan7
5 Sam's "I'm back"statement to Rosie
Old 08-14-2004, 04:07 PM   #49
The Nameless One
Hobbit

I love the"Im back" statement. Its so true to the book. But some of my friends thought it was corny cause they didnt read the book. Ahhhh the virtues of reading.
The Nameless One is offline   Reply With Quote