Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-09-2004, 08:34 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Gollum Annabel Lee=Luthien?

I recently had to memorize Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Annabel Lee" for English class. When I read it, it reminded me so much of "The Lay of Leithian." Is that where tolkien got the idea for the tale of Beren and Luthien?

Last edited by trolls' bane : 02-09-2004 at 08:36 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:07 AM   #2
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Nope. Not that I know of. Tolkien modelled Luthien after his wife Edith, and Beren after himself. I have never heard that he was influenced by Poe. Now I'll have to read that poem sometime.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 06:08 PM   #3
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Quote:
Now I'll have to read that poem sometime.
Don't expect me to write down a poem that long for you.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:15 AM   #4
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

Quote:
Originally posted by trolls' bane
Don't expect me to write down a poem that long for you.
Hey, I never asked you to post it here; I'm perfectly able to find it myself!

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 AM   #5
Finrod Felagund
King of Nargothrond

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowfax
Nope. Not that I know of. Tolkien modelled Luthien after his wife Edith, and Beren after himself. I have never heard that he was influenced by Poe. Now I'll have to read that poem sometime.
Well, actually, he just saw Edith as his Luthien, I don't believe they were modelled after him and her.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #6
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

there's certainly a touch of similarity, and obviously tolkien was very well-read... it may have been a part of what helped him develop his ideas... though he was also a known fan of the greek, roman and norse classics... and many of these themes originated from them
Old 02-12-2004, 12:13 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

I assume he was a fan of History as well, because a lot of his key characters of people resemble many different Historical peoples as well...
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 04:45 PM   #8
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
I assume he was a fan of History as well, because a lot of his key characters of people resemble many different Historical peoples as well...
Can you elaborate on that?
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:07 AM   #9
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

Well, I will.

Tolkien was a fan of language, and much of his Middle Earth and its peoples can find bases in Nordic and Germanic myths. A fact, I am sure, most already know.

I think the contention that is being made, that of a reference to Poe, is incorrect. He took sweeping ideas from history, and got whole names and places right out of the history books, but he still wrote his own story. His characters where his own.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:44 AM   #10
Fenir_LacDanan
Elven Warrior

Above, by "he", read Tolkien.

Last edited by Fenir_LacDanan : 05-09-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Fenir_LacDanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM   #11
Glorfindel_of_Gondolin
Hobbit

Hey, Thanks for the clarification, Fenir!

Saves me doing it
Old 04-27-2004, 10:12 PM   #12
Finmandos12
Elven Warrior

As someone stated, Beren and Luthien is based on Tolkien's courtship of his wife. Her parents were Protestant and didn't like the fact that JRR was Catholic, so when he asked permission to court her, they said they would only allow it if there was no contact between JRR and Edith for several years (I think three). The religious difference between JRR and his wife is like the Elf-Man difference between Beren and Luthien. And the several year wait seemed to be an impossible task, just as getting the Silmaril from Angband seemed to be impossible.
Old 04-29-2004, 01:08 PM   #13
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I think it is fairly clear that Tolkien does not appear to have based Luthien/Beren on Annabel Lee. But there are still significant parallels - only in the opposite way, almost (guy with dead girl, not girl with dead guy).
Old 05-29-2004, 05:21 PM   #14
Beren3000
Fëanorophobic

I strongly agree with you, Finmandos12. However, I think there is another reason why Tolkien made Luthien an elf and not a human. Before I explain my reason, let me first bring something to your notice: in all three elf-man marriages, the elf was always the woman. (Beren and Luthien, Tuor and Celebrindal, Aragorn and Arwen)
So, in my point of view, Tolkien regarded women as beautiful and exalted above others. So when a marriage happens a woman has to "descend" to the level of the man and grant him the honor of marrying her (bear with me here). In the same way the elven women gave up immortality to be with their lovers: they descended to the level of humans and granted them an honor. It couldn't happen the other way round: an elf male marrying a human woman. Because the male would then be "descending" which (according to Tolkien) is unthinkable.
Did I make sense? Or was that too incoherent? I hope not!
Tell me what you think!
Beren3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:33 PM   #15
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

This exact question is dealt with in JRR's biography by Carpenter. Finmando12 has it all explained I think. Interestingly enough, Edith was also a lot older than JRRT.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote