Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Harry Potter
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-28-2004, 03:05 PM   #1
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Occlumecy

Harry was learning Occlumency in the fifth year, and didn't finish his lessons with Snape, so Vodemort could affect him in his sleep and so make a trap for him.
Dumbledore said in the end of the book that he didn't look and talk much with Harry because he was afraid Voldemort would think he's very close to him.

My question is, if this threat of Voldemort, influencing Harry while sleeping, is over now? How could Dumbledore talk now freely with Harry, without any danger?
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I felt that Dumbledore was talking to Harry right after Voldemort had gotten beaten again....I'm imagining Voldemort was off somewhere licking his wounds or something. Imo, the threat will again be present in the next book. Occlumency will be the word of the week, every week as Harry and Voldemort continue to merge. Harry's ability to close off his mind will become hyper important.

So Snape can't teach occlumency to him, (I guess...) who will? I think that pensive bowl (or whatever it was called ) is strange. How do you remember to retrive a memory? That thing is just plain weird! Is occlumency the correct spelling? I returned OTP to the library.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-28-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

The problem for me was that they acted as if trhe danger of Voldemort is over. So I wondered, why? I guess it might just continue... Didn't think about that, really.

About who will teach him... maybe Dumbledore could. Or, perhaps the new teacher against Dark Arts.

And yes, I went to check especially for this thread how to write Occlumency.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:43 PM   #4
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Ah! The new dark arts teacher! That is always something to look forward to! And the Dursleys! So do you think Snape's a vampire?
Old 05-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #5
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Ah! The new dark arts teacher! That is always something to look forward to! And the Dursleys! So do you think Snape's a vampire?
The Dursleys are rather monotonous, everything is alike. It's B-o-r-i-n-g. I hope she will make something to refresh it. You know, they always torture him, and that's it. They're actually crazy themselves, with all their will to be normal...
About Snape - definitely, a vampire.

But I'm OT, in my own thread...

Soooo, about Occlumency... Do you really think it's going to be improtant? Wouldn't it become, in that case, a bit repetitive?
Old 05-28-2004, 04:01 PM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Repitition! Hey, that's one of the main things about the books! Yes! I do think it will be very important! Voldemort is only going to be stronger in the next two books, and I think one of the major themes (repetitive ) is the simialrities between Riddle and Potter. Harry got some of Voldemort when he got the scar, and Voldemort got some of Harry's blood when he got his new body. Of course there are the wands too! Voldemort is an old master, and tricking and decieving others is one of his strong points. Plus, it makes so much suspense when Harry is going psycho!

Added...so because HP and Voldemort are rapidly merging, occlumency will be very neccessary for Harry ( and The Order of the Phoenix members) to keep Voldemort at bay.

Last edited by Lizra : 05-28-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Are we talking here about repetitions in HP books? You changes the subject very quickly, Lizra. *laughs*

Ehm, I'll discuss your comments anyway - Yes, the repetitions in Harry Potter seems important... But it could be because Rowling don't have enough ideas, so she recycles them over and over again.

The Connection between Harry and Voldemort is more important than it seemed in the 4th book, but Not necessarily as a disadventage to Harry - as when he had the dream about Arnold Weisley. (sp.)
Old 05-28-2004, 04:24 PM   #8
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Oh Rad! You are SO right about my quick changes!
Good point about the Mr. Weasley dream! Yes! Lets see more of that kind of stuff! Of course, Harry will go psycho trying to decide if his dreams are real or a "plant"! Maybe Luna will be able to offer Harry some "Sympathy for the Psycho"

Last edited by Lizra : 05-28-2004 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:35 PM   #9
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Lizra
Oh Rad! You are SO right about my quick changes!
Good point about the Mr. Weasley dream! Yes! Lets see more of that kind of stuff! Of course, Harry will go psycho trying to decide if his dreams are real or a "plant"! Maybe Luna will be able to offer Harry some "Sympathy for the Psycho"
Why do you think he's going to be insane?

But yes, it would be extremely hard to know which dream is real and which is "planted". They can simply avoid any of the dreams. To assume they all are false.
Old 05-28-2004, 04:42 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Maybe he could put his dream memories in that wacky pensive bowl thing every morning, then Dumbledore could examine them (with tweezers and rubber gloves ) or something.

Harry goes psycho when he doesn't know if he can trust his own thoughts! It's like he has a split personality, and one of the splits is also trying to kill him. Plus, there's the added "joy" of a self doubting adolescent wondering what others think! Psycho!
Old 05-28-2004, 06:00 PM   #11
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Do you have something against the pesive bowl? It looks like you think it's verysilly from some reason.

IMO, he's not a psycho, just a wizard with brain complications... sometimes. Andit's not like it's fault, or that it would never end. As soon as Voldemort is killed...
Old 05-28-2004, 06:43 PM   #12
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

About the Pensive bowl...it's just rather odd. You take a memory out of your brain, put it in this bowl so that your mind can't be read, or you can't be *potioned *or *spelled* into telling said memory, then you take it back from the bowl and return it to your brain at a later date. Of course, you run the risk of someone else plucking the memory out and putting it into their brain instead. I think it's crazy!
Remember the time Harry picked up Snape's memory? (also Dumbledores) Didn't Snape "remember" the memory! (he acted like he knew Harry had sampled his memory, and was upset because he also remembered the memory was embarrassing) How could he remember the memory if he didn't have it in his brain anymore? I guess I'm hairsplitting! Actually, I suppose the pensive bowl is a rather cool device for Rowling to use when playing around with plot twists.

I'm being sarcastic when I call Harry a psycho! Of course, he's a wonderful boy!
But he does (or should! ) come rather close to flipping out, several times. Let's see.....he's miserable (about his family, always the threat of being expelled from Hogwarts, ridiculed and tortured by Snape and Malfoy, thoughts of summers with the Dursleys, now depressed over Sirius), scared (now even more than ever since he knows either he will die or have to conquer Voldemort), unsure of himself (though he is gaining confidence! ), feels like everybody's talking about him because they usually are! He doesn't know if his own thoughts are truly his, or planted by the evil Voldemort....I'm sure there are other reasons too, and any normal person would certainly have a nervous breakdown carrying all that "baggage" around. So....that is why I "tongue in cheek" call Harry a psycho candidate.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM   #13
old scholar
Hobbit

i think occlumency is going to be a big part of the next book especially of there is another one on one confrontation with Voldemort
Old 06-27-2004, 03:58 PM   #14
Elessar the Elfstone
Enting

yeah but Dumbledore said in the end of OOTP that the love in harry prevented Voldemort from posessing him but I suppose Voldemort can still plant dreams in Harry's head
Elessar the Elfstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:18 AM   #15
Sono
Hobbit

I think the Occlumency chapter was very difficult to read, because I've not read the german version bevore

But after reading the german book, I understand this chapter.

Yes, I think, Occlumency will be a bigger part in the other HP books. Don't ask my why, but I belive this

I don't know why, but I like Snape ^^
In a special form he's cool

I must say, its very difficuld to understand the postings at this page! At school we never learn this words! And I must know. I'm the besst student in my english class...
But I try

Wenn Sie mich suchen, ich halte mich in der Nähe des Wahnsinns auf. Genauer gesagt, auf der schmalen Linie zwischen Wahnsinn und Panik. Gleich um die Ecke von Todesangst nicht weit von Irrwitz und Idiotie.
Sono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:47 PM   #16
Gulio, Strength of Many
Lover of all things orange and cheesy

Yay! I'm not the only Snape fan here!

Anydangway, I think that Occlumency will be really important, and Dumbledore will constantly remind Harry of his need to... Occlumen... Occluminate... yeah, that. But, Harry'll get sucked in to not doing because Voldy remembers his parents, and Harry'll do anything to see/hear his parents again, so we get book number six!

Yup, Rowling's got the three R's down - repitition, redundancy, and repitition

It was like the Manifest Destiny all over again, except, instead of taking and consuming everything in their paths for God, they did so with the same fervor and sense of entitlement for their new god... themselves.

If you want to know more about Jesus, have a prayer need, or want to talk about anything, PM me.
Gulio, Strength of Many is offline   Reply With Quote