Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Novels
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2004, 12:35 AM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Isaac Asimov

I finally started I, Robot after years of claiming to be a sci-fi fan without actually having read it.

I don't know if any of you get the same sense, but here's the thing: while Asimov's ideas were certainly critical to the development of both sci-fi and how we generally perceive robotics today, and while he expresses those ideas very well in how he uses his own Laws of Robotics in his stories, I don't much like his prosaic style. Maybe it's because it has been a long time since I read anything so straightforward and simple when it comes to prose, aside from whimsy pieces like Artemis Fowl, but Asimov seems to have a lot of writing habits similar to the ones I've tried to break out of since junior high.

Is this my problem, or his?
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 12:53 AM   #2
Count Comfect
Word Santa Claus

I have read a lot of Asimov over the years, and I have to say that his writing style fits itself much much much much (did I have enough muches?) better to his scientific expository writing than to his science-fiction. That said, I think that I, Robot is one of his weaker works in terms of prosaic style, so trying another (say, Foundation) of his would probably be better.
Old 03-31-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I haven't read I, Robot, but I have read most of the foundation series. The first foundation book was quite hard for me to get into for much the same reason you list I-Parrot, however, the series progresses and proposes quite an interesting slant to the usual sci-fi genre. Having said that, I wouldn't bother much with the extended foundation books - the original trilogy is outstanding though.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:04 AM   #4
Esswen
Hobbit

I thought the Foundation Series was highly enjoyable, I've read it a few times over the years, although some long time back it got crowded out by the (you know what) triology. I have 6 of the series and now I suddenly find out there are 9 in all, two written by other authors.

Anyway I was fascinated by the idea of psychohistory and the Seldon crises. I really liked how the story spanned 1000 years, covering so many different generations.

I'm kind of partial to books that come out as a series, anyway, although I view Asimov's writing style as a bit quaint in comparison to modern writers.

But what I particularly like about his books is that he treats the subject of space travel as a challenge that has already been met. Much in the vogue of many writers, you might say - but he started earlier than most of them.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i'd say Something Wicked This Way Comes is probably my favorite Asimov... i also love many of his short stories, but there are probably just as many i simply don't get into because they tend to be more idea than story

he also has a very interesting series of books on the bible... from somewhat of a scholarly, and admittedly athiestic pov... whether one agrees with his conclusions or not, he put a lot of thought into it and they give an interesting alternate perspective on the history
Old 04-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #6
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i'd say Something Wicked This Way Comes is probably my favorite Asimov... i also love many of his short stories, but there are probably just as many i simply don't get into because they tend to be more idea than story

he also has a very interesting series of books on the bible... from somewhat of a scholarly, and admittedly athiestic pov... whether one agrees with his conclusions or not, he put a lot of thought into it and they give an interesting alternate perspective on the history
(whispers)"Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury

Which is probably why you enjoyed it- very diferent style from Asimov.

But , yeah, IP, Asimov's writing style is pretty elementary.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:01 PM   #7
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
(whispers)"Something Wicked This Way Comes" by [B]Ray Bradbury

Which is probably why you enjoyed it
hehe, you're right

i guess i don't have a favorite by asimov (sorry isaac), the bible stuff was interesting though... and i think it was you