Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-25-2001, 02:18 PM   #21
Amandil
Guy-who-should-come-here-more-often

Location: Alberta, in spirit -- Vlaanderen, in body (Canada? Never heard of it!)
Well, isn't that cute!

(*%@!%&*&^%@#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

"Why would you want to tamper with anything Tolkien did?" --Ralph Bashki

"Seeking self, I find nothing but myself, but in this I drink the cup of gall I really am. I want everything, and I may have everything, but I have nothing except what I have. What I have I know is not what will fulfill me, and I know this in the bitterness of satisfied desire. Everything I have is still not enough, and in getting everything I have, I have not myself, indeed what I have may have twisted what I am and might be into an image of my own possessions. I will to possess, but I end up possessed by what I possess." -- William Desmond (Ethics and the Between, p. 209-210)
Amandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 05:31 PM   #22
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Old 09-26-2001, 06:13 PM   #23
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Hope Lurtz dies a LOOOOONNNNG and painfull death

Why make a fuss about Lurtz? Sure he's added in but why not give the orc as killed Boromir a name? And then imagine the revenge we will have when Lurtz(heck we know his name and thus we can hate him all the more)dies at the hands of a rider, Ugluk, or Saruman. Not,but I dont think he will be well liked by audiences, first off he KILLS Boromir and he's a cool character, then if he does that he MIGHT help carry the Hobbits off or maybe even knock one of them in the head.That should get people really mad at him and his fellow orcs.Then we should see some grumbling and then we can show off our superior knowledge.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 06:19 PM   #24
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Does anybody have any ideas why they coudn't just change Ugluk's character, If they can change Arwen, why not an orc?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2001, 10:17 PM   #25
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

All the changes made to the storyline for the movies were made based upon personal preferences (of the writing team), or because things had to unfold in certain ways.

Bombadil is vital to the literary story and they have had to radically alter the cinematic story in order to exclude him. Is that a good thing? A bad thing? It doesn't have to be either. But even if it's the worse thing that Peter Jackson could possibly have done to the storyline, it's way too late to lament the departure from the book.

And, for what it's worth, to the best of my knowledge, Tolkien sold the film rights to United Artists in 1967. I have no idea of where the 1971 figure in the article on TORN came from. Of course, my source could just as likely be wrong as the reporter's source, for all I know.
Michael Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 08:23 AM   #26
anduin
Entwife

Regardless of the date, don't you think that he would have made some sort of guidelines? And if he did sell the rights to UA, did they then turn around and sell them to New Line? What more do you know about the film rights MM??
anduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2001, 01:02 PM   #27
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

So far as I know, there is no way you can stipulate guidelines when you sell the rights to something. You can limit which rights you sell or you license the rights (meaning, you retain some power of revocation or the rights revert to you under specific circumstances).

Tolkien SOLD the film and merchandising rights to United Artists for both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Saul Zaentz in turn acquired the rights from United Artists, and he said up Tolkien Enterprises to administer them. What this means is that any time some film company or producer wants to take out an option (essentially, reserve the right to make a movie based on either of the books), they have to go to Tolkien Enterprises. J.R.R. Tolkien's wishes and preferences, and his estate, have no impact on what happens.

Now, stage adaptations, so far as I know, as well as radio adaptations, are still controlled by the Tolkien Estate. It's my understanding that schools get a pretty easy process to follow in acquiring limited rights to produce plays. At least, there have been a lot of "Hobbit" plays through the years and the Tolkien Estate seems to have sanctioned many if not all of them.

Commercial stage adaptations have to license the rights, but so far as I know, the stage rights have never been sold and probably never will be.

As far as New Line Cinema goes, they don't own the film rights. They have entered into a contract whereby they licensed the film rights for (I think) 9 years. I may be off by a year or two. That is, in another 6 years (or thereabouts), the film rights revert to Tolkien Enterprises, and at that time they can (hopefully will) start looking around for someone else to develop another movie.

And I say "hopefully" because it has long been my hope that we would see many film adaptations. I certainly expect and hope to enjoy the Peter Jackson movies, but I don't want the Tolkien cinematic tradition to end with the Jackson movies, or to go on a long-term hiatus.

And I don't see any reason for why a studio MUST do the entire story. I was very interested in the "Elessar" project before that was put on hold (it would have told the story of the young Aragorn when he met Arwen). I would like to see other movies come out which mine the depths of these books.
Old 09-28-2001, 08:15 PM   #28
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Just noticed something.

Quote:
Samwise of the Shire, you think it doesn't HAVE to be Saruman behind the scouring of the Shire?!?!

Have you even read the book? Or did you just read "Of the Rings of Power" in the back of "The Silmarillion"?
That's a little harsh, don't you think? I agree with Samwise, technically, it doesn't have to be Saruman. Just like it doesn't have to be Tom that gives the Hobbits their Barrow-daggers. I prefer Tolkien's written story of course, but the movies will not be dependent upon Saruman in the Scouring for success.

MM, I'd like to see a movie on Amroth and Nimrodel. If the legend was treated seriously and with respect, I think it could come out very well on screen.
Old 09-28-2001, 10:25 PM   #29
Darth Tater
The man

I'd love to see a film version of the story of Beren and Luthien myself, which was obviously his favorite tale (the gravestone where he and his wife are buried has those names after their own). As a matter of fact, I'd like to make the movie myself. Anybody got a few extra million dollars?
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2001, 01:51 PM   #30
Gerbil
Elf Lord

Confirmed 'changes'

Is there somewhere I can go to find a list of changes from the book that are known to date?
I'm new here so I don't want to simply start talking about stuff I'm ignorant of.

So far the two things I'm aware of are:

Arwen. Stupid jumped up little girl playing warrior.
Saruman's death on spikes from that old picture (although I dunno if this has been confirmed?).

My thoughts on both are:

Arwen - I can live with her at the fords (although her line from the trailer makes me cringe it's so bad), but where else will she get inserted? I was worried she would replace Eowyn as the slayer of the Nazgul lord (because she's bound to be in some of the major battles since she seems to want to model herself on Xena these days...), but checking the cast list there's an Eowyn and it doesn't make sense to include her if she doesn't have that part of the story, since it makes her a completely peripheral character (IE what Arwen was before).

Saruman - Hmmm I wonder if they think Saruman's death wasn't nasty enough for someone so evil? I do worry the scouring of the shire will be out. In filmic terms it's an anti-climax after the destruction of Sauron, although it works so well in the books because we've all taken the Hobbits and the Shire to our hearts so much.

Oh well, pass on rumours, I need to catch up!
Old 09-30-2001, 02:30 PM   #31
Michael Martinez
Elven Loremaster

You're running on some pretty old rumors, there. http://www.tolkienonline.com/ has become the official home for the non-official list of departures from the book. I think they have a link on the main page, now. Look for "Ancalagon". Ancalagon the Black maintains the list, which is quite lengthy.
Old 09-30-2001, 04:23 PM   #32
Gerbil
Elf Lord

I am indeed, and wanted to get up to date before diving in too much.
Thanks for the details - I found the pages and have just gone through them all.
I'm off to put my eyeballs back in their sockets after that lot.

Thanks