Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #1
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Joseph McCarthy

Does anyone have any good information about Joseph McCarthy and the period in time in which he led his campaign against the alleged communist 'subversion', around 1950.

Any help will be much appreciated.

(Sorry if there is already a thread like this one - I haven't had time to look)
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
Janny
The Blobbit

I don't know much, but he managed to 'find' 27 communist sympathisers in the US State Department alone. Either damn good work, or a bit over zealous.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by Janny
I don't know much, but he managed to 'find' 27 communist sympathisers in the US State Department alone. Either damn good work, or a bit over zealous.
He was both.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #4
Ruinel
Banned

I'm pretty sure I would have been branded a communist back then. Even though I am definitely not one.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:16 AM   #5
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

It's just I need this information for Literature. I'm studying Arthur Miller's 'Death Of A Salesman' and I needed some background info on the Author, and I know that McCarthy pulled him in for being a communist.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Old 03-27-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
Janny
The Blobbit

Yeah, you didn't have to be a communist to be pulled in.

Tradition means giving votes to the most obscure of all classes, our ancestors. It is the democracy of the dead. Tradition refuses to submit to the small and arrogant oligarchy of those who happen to be walking about. ~ Mercutio... erm, GK Chesterton.
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #7
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Lalaith_Elf
It's just I need this information for Literature. I'm studying Arthur Miller's 'Death Of A Salesman' and I needed some background info on the Author, and I know that McCarthy pulled him in for being a communist.
Miller also wrote 'The Crucible' which was a somewhat overhyped 'parallel' of the McCarthy trials. It is about the Salem Witch Trials and the mass hysteria he compares to that of McCarthyist America. However, while there were no witches in Salem, there certainly were communists in America.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:54 AM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Yeah, we were discussing that last lesson. He actually wasn't alowed to go and see the European premier of The Cruicible because McCarthy wouldn't let him out of the country.
Old 03-28-2004, 05:22 PM   #9
Agalayth
Elven Warrior

Margaret Chase Smith was the first person to speak out against him. I know a lot about her because I live in Maine, where she was a Senator from. I know that he claimed that hundreds of people were Communists, and claimed that he had files upon files about people who were Communists.