Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Odd Instruments

Does anyone have any strange instruments that they play? I can play the Digerydoo, I almost had luck at a Psaltry and an Indian flute, and I also recently recieved a wind wand.
Old 03-19-2004, 03:06 AM   #2
Anglorfin
Alasailon

It would be helpful if you explained these instruments, trolls' bane. Now you got me all curious.

As for wierd instruments. A bunch of people in my high school made a bluegrass band and I played the jug.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Anglorfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:58 PM   #3
trolls' bane

Well, the Digery is basically a long tube, and is! You have to "spit" into them a certain way through one end, and it makes a deep throated sound.
A Psaltry is a stringed intrument and is played with a bow. Never was good at mom's before, until last week. Anyway, back to the topic. It is shaped like an isosceles triangle.
I'll go see if I could get a picture off Google and post the link.
Old 03-19-2004, 08:03 PM   #4
trolls' bane

Here's a few google search results. Some good links for a digeridoo, which I just learned to be the correct spelling:
http://images.google.com/images?q=di...=Google+Search

Here's a search I made for a Psaltry:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...=Google+Search

Last edited by trolls' bane : 03-19-2004 at 08:27 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 10:01 PM   #5
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

digeridoos are usually heard in almost all movies about australia

I have blown through one once - very similar to making a sound on a brass instrument.

I play the Euphonium - not that exotic, but almost no one has heard of it, even people that play instruments.

It looks like a mini-tuba, but is not a tuba.

It has a beautiful sonorous sound (hence the name Euphonium) and is usually a featured solo instrument in bands.

Unfortunately, Euphoniums are only in bands and not orchestras, except when used in a few select orchestral pieces such as Mars.

I have no had one person know what it is when I tell them what I play "you play a what?"

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
trolls' bane

I think I might have heard of it, but I can't place where I heard of it.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:15 AM   #7
plaidjedillama
Hobbit

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
I play the Euphonium - not that exotic, but almost no one has heard of it, even people that play instruments.

It has a beautiful sonorous sound (hence the name Euphonium) and is usually a featured solo instrument in bands.

Unfortunately, Euphoniums are only in bands and not orchestras, except when used in a few select orchestral pieces such as Mars.

I have no had one person know what it is when I tell them what I play "you play a what?"

I have a friend who plays the euphonium. He's with the Salvation Army. This Christmas him and I were kettling together, so it was kind of intersting, a euphonium and a guitar playing together. People kept asking him about his euphonium, after they walked away he would just stand there and shake his head. He said it gets very tiring explaining the difference between a tuba and a euphonium, and sometimes you just have to give up and let people think whatever they want.

Last edited by plaidjedillama : 03-20-2004 at 01:17 AM.
plaidjedillama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:58 PM   #8
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

I have a digerydoo - very beautifully carved and decorated. I've tried to play it but I failed spectaculary. But my sister has a friend who is amazing at playing it, so she may be teaching me.

But apart from that I play the piano and violin, which are quite common instruments.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #9
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:

Yeah, tb, you could have just said that long thing from Australia and I would have gotten it right away.

"Anglorfin was tall and straight; his hair was of shining gold, his face fair and young and fearless and full of anger; his eyes were bright and keen, and his voice like music; on his brow sat wisdom, and in his hand was great skill."
Old 03-20-2004, 06:04 PM   #10
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

So what is a psaltry and an Indian flute? I think the psaltry is a stringed instrument?

I play classical guitar, which isn't exotic or anything, but I am one of the few women who play. There seems to be about 80% guys and 20% gals playing. I have no idea why the distribution. My guitar is a bit different though, it's an older guitar so its smaller than your average classical guitar. I also play the right-handed way even though I'm left-handed.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:52 PM   #11
Mercutio

Quote:

I have blown through one once - very similar to making a sound on a brass instrument.

One of my good friends (and her dad) plays the euphonium. I love its sound! (definitely "sonorous").

I myself play the oboe (I know... the what?). It is a double reed instrument like the bassoon. The "mouthpiece" is two tiny strips of cane tied together around a metal tube. The body of the instrument looks like a clarinet, but is more tapered/conical. I absolutely love oboe. Oboes are in bands and orchestras. And I also played classical piano for a while and then switched to organ recently.

You can listen to a clip of oboe music here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical
Scroll down and click "listen" for the fifth track, "concerto for oboe and strings".

Interested in C.S. Lewis? Visit the forum dedicated
to one of Tolkien's greatest contemporaries.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:33 AM   #12
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

The oboe has a nice sound too - but in a different way.

It does get tiring explaining the euphonium to people, and to get them to even understand a little bit of what it is and what it looks like, I am forced to say it is a "mini-tuba" when it isn't a tuba and sounds nothing like a tuba.

I think most people know what an oboe is, right?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:34 AM   #13
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

My brother plays the oboe, it's a wonderful instrument, I love it.

I know what a euphonium is Hobbit. I think it sounds like a mini-tuba! *runs*

Just kidding!
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:55 PM   #14
azalea
Long lost mooter

I have a set of reed pipes that I can play Mary had a Little Lamb on! You have to blow and "tuh!" over the top of them, kind of like you can do with a beer bottle.
My great aunt plays the psaltery. She plays several different instruments, and was in a few bands that specialized in medieval music and the like.
I want to add that I love the sound of the digeridoo.
azalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 12:42 AM   #15
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

As for my specialty instrument, I can play my homemade kazoo, manufactured by putting wax paper over a comb like you did when you were seven and watched that episode of Reading Rainbow. You know you did it too...

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 04:04 AM   #16
Anglorfin
Alasailon

Quote:
Originally posted by Khamûl
As for my specialty instrument, I can play my homemade kazoo, manufactured by putting wax paper over a comb like you did when you were seven and watched that episode of Reading Rainbow. You know you did it too...

yeah, I did.